Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Storage Question #942 Ball Jars Not Airtight?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Boogalou, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Hey guys,

I read just about every thread on storage I could find and came to the conclusion that ball/kerr jars with the double lid apparatus are the best. So I picked some up at Target and was happy to find that they worked! For a little while.

After opening them 2-3 times I can now faintly smell weed leaking out of the jars. Does that mean I'm destroying my weed? Or is this normal?

I only smoke before going to bed for pain, so I use very little and need it to last.

Should I fork out the cash for the bottles at 420Science? Is a plastic seal adequate?

Appreciate any opinions!

-Boog

2. #2 Pj1008, Apr 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2010
    You really have nothing to worry about, I have smoked bud that has just been kept in cigarette cellophane for over a month and it was fine.

And it's true those ball jars are not 100% airtight but good luck finding something that is (note why drug dogs can smell bud even if it's in a jar). That being said the ball jars are airtight enough to keep your bud fresh for quite some time. Unless you are trying to keep your bud for like 6 months you have nothing to worry about.

Also the smell that is "leaking out" could just be residue of the bud that is on your hands and is making the jar smell?

3. Dang, was hoping it would last several months. Read a thread on here about some guy leaving an eighth in a ball jar out in a cabin for two years, then smoking it only to find that it was really smooth and still good.

Thanks for the info!

4. i would not recommend buying one of the 420science jars.
    there nice jars with cool designs but the lid is not air tight. at all. after opening and closing them like 20 times i started to smell the dankness coming through. i was very disappointed as i spent like 12 bucks on that sucker and its not even what it says it is.

im not sure how much your buying or how much your using but its seems kinda ridiculous to buy weed that your gonna have for months and months. just buy a smaller amount its really not gonna cost that much more.

5. THANK YOU! You just saved me some $$$

6. Actually plastic seals can never be 100*% airtight. Some plastic containers can be smell proof.
    You need a mason jar to completly contain smell and preserve freshness.
    Did you thoroughly wash and dry your jar before using it? Do you touch your weed and then touch the jar or cap? If so you contaminated the outside of your container with weed smell.
    It's possible that the band has worn out in which case the lid + band can be easily replaced

7. just take a damp paper towel and clean the outside of the jar. the smell should go right away. i personally use a regular mason jar. the only way i ever smell anything coming from it is when im putting it away and its relatively close to my face. nobody can smell it other than you though.