Storage Cabinet Grow

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by DrAbsurd, Jul 29, 2011.

1. [​IMG]
    Shot at 2011-07-28
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2011-07-28
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2011-07-28
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2011-07-28
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2011-07-28
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2011-07-28
    Growing a sack seed to get the hang of it and test my cabinet. My biggest problem will be heat. With the cab. being in the garage it can get up to 100+ on a hot day. Im trying to enhance my ventilation some. I have 3 large computer fans placed over cutouts to circulate the air from the floor up through the cab. and out the roof where it is vented outside. I also have a fan blowing across the plants. I have it rigged so I can put up to 14 lights. 12 overhead and 2 more on movable spots.

2. Stick a small ac unit in the window of your garage? You can get them <$100 easy.

Looks good bro!

3. Someone sure loves their canned food, haha.

Can't wait to see more of this storage cabinet grow.

No passive air?

4. Yeah I keep some food on hand... What of it? Jk. I live in a hurricane and tornado zone. I have a wife and three kids so if you can't get to, or there is no food in, the grocery store, it's a good idea to have at least 2 months worth. What do you mean by passive air?

5. I love your set up. Garages get hotter than hell though. You may still need the A/C unit to keep it cool in the summer but it might get too cold in the winter, depending on where you live. You can get a 4" hole saw from the HOME Depot and cut a hole in the lower left wall for air intake, mount a whisper quiet 4" CAN fan with a charcoal filter inside, vent it out the upper right wall with a louvered dryer vent covering the hole so no one will be any wiser unless the fan is on. You can put an internally louvered dryer vent over the lower left wall intake opening too and it will stay closed until the fan comes on and literally sucks it open. I researched the same project but I wanted a 2' by 4' cabinet. Yours looks like the extra pantry we have in the garage from Sam's, right? I ended up with a tent instead. Please let us know how it works out. HSA

6. You nailed it... its a storage cab. from sams club. I had two that i used as pantries. I out grew one of them with my caned goods so bought the large shelf system and that left me a empty cab. I had never even thought of using something like that to grow in until i found this site and got to looking around. Didnt take me long to have the tools out and a list for lowes LOL.
    [​IMG]
    By drabsurd at 2011-07-29
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. It looks like a great place to grow. I wanted the 4' by 2' but Sam's Club fu--ed up the order and after a month I bought a tent. Later I found out it was too unstable without the shelves in it. A friend warned me to be careful with the humidity level because it can rust. He also warned that if you drill any holes to paint the raw metal and protect it with rubber grommets. Please keep us posted on your progress. Hank

8. That is a rock solid cabinet. The construction looks precision too. Real quality job. I like it.

9. Thanks man. I tried to put a lot of thought into it before I started. I'm going to upgrade the top exhaust... Maybe to a bathroom exhaust fan.

10. DrAbsurd: Venting it out the top is a great idea but where is you fresh air going to come in at? I would suggest the louvered dryer vent from Lowes with a flapper valve and a cover over it. It would be very stealthy. Venting the exhaust out the top is better than the idea I had of doing it high on the right wall but you might still want to put a louvered dryer cover over it to keep bugs and critters out especially if it's in a garage. The only time it will be open is when the fan is on crating a positive pressure.
    What's the inside temperature and humidity? Please keep us posted. Hank

11. If Thats metal how'd you cut it? Mines metal and I had the hardest time

12. Idk if that would work for my project. Don't think so. It was a bitch cutting this thing too

13. 420smurf420: Either I didn't explain it well enough or you didn't understand. I ordered the big 2' by 4' by 6'6" cabinet from Samsclub.com and all they sent me was parts of it. Two months later I finally got my refund. The cabinet he has you can buy off the shelf at Sam's Clob for about $180. I have one as an earthquake pantry in my garage.

Part of the research for the bigger cabinet was at The Home Depot and Lowe's. Both sell a 4" Milwakee hole saw that will bore through thin mild steel on slow speed with a lot of oil. It's about $40 with their mandril because it won't fit mine.

I got screwed around so much by Sam's Club that I said the hell with it and bought a tent. Sam's Club customer service felt so guilty they offered me a $100 gift card for the trouble. I said yes but it took them two months to get me the refund so I'm not holding my breath until I get their damned gift card.

So far I'm happy with the tent because they call it a 2 by 4 but it's quite a bit bigger. I just don't trust zippers.

He did what I wanted to do with the bigger cabinet but the cabinet he has is 1 1/2' deep and 3' wide. It's a good cabinet. Now all he has to worry about is rust and ventilation. Hank

14. 420smurf420: Either I didn't explain it well enough or you didn't understand. I ordered the big 2' by 4' by 6'6" cabinet from Samsclub.com and all they sent me was parts of it. Two months later I finally got my refund. The cabinet he has you can buy off the shelf at Sam's Clob for about $180. I have one as an earthquake pantry in my garage.

Part of the research for the bigger cabinet was at The Home Depot and Lowe's. Both sell a 4" Milwakee hole saw that will bore through thin mild steel on slow speed with a lot of oil. It's about $40 with their mandril because it won't fit mine.

I got screwed around so much by Sam's Club that I said the hell with it and bought a tent. Sam's Club customer service felt so guilty they offered me a $100 gift card for the trouble. I said yes but it took them two months to get me the refund so I'm not holding my breath until I get their damned gift card.

So far I'm happy with the tent because they call it a 2 by 4 but it's quite a bit bigger. I just don't trust zippers.

He did what I wanted to do with the bigger cabinet but the cabinet he has is 1 1/2' deep and 3' wide. It's a good cabinet. Now all he has to worry about is rust and ventilation. Hank

15. no need to be a dick i was just saying it could be useful to cut holes in thin metal

16. Add a bathroom exaust fan (70 fpm) and an air conditioner in the bottom of the cabinet. between that and a heater in the winter I should be able to keep it whatever temp I want.
    [​IMG]
    By drabsurd at 2011-08-04

[​IMG]
    By drabsurd at 2011-08-04

17. HAHA I think one of you guys are miss reading what the other is saying.... when i read this thread I dont get the impression anyone was being a "dick".
    I used a recepricating saw with a metal cutting blade. I first drilled starter holes then I made my straight cuts in the metal. It is a very thin metal so I cut it like soft cheese. I have cut 6 holes in it using the same method. the hole i cut for the airconditioner took a couple of minutes tops. then i added the filter material (weed shield type cloth for gardens) to the bottom holes (fresh air intakes) and the top has a flapper that closed when not on and the air flow is strong enough that I dont think any flying bugs could get in.
    Side note: what is the quickest way to get your ph levels down?

18. DrAbsurd: and a dryer cover over the holes painted the same color maintains its stealthiness. I didn't mean to step on his toes, my point was the 4" Milwakee hole saw will do the job on thin sheet metal if you go slow and use a lot of machine oil. Cabinets have to be vented. Hank

19. I just came across this grow. I'm subb'd. I love the look and set up.
    Where are your temps sitting at now with lights on/off?