Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Stop Using A Lighter To Light Your Bowls

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by canadaseed, Jun 9, 2014.

1. If you are using a lighter to ignite your bowls, stop now!  You may not realize this but each time you use a lighter you're smoking nasty Chinese butane with countless impurities.  You should get hemp string (most smoke shops have these) or you can even twist up a rolling paper to make a twig, then light that and use it to light your bowl. You can also get a herb iron, a handheld device that uses heat to light you bowl.  Be health conscious about how you consume MaryJane.  

herbiron.jpg

Peace.

2. When you're using a lighter, the butane is being combusted. I've always failed to see how people say you're inhaling butane.

3. #3 BudButler, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2014
    because not all of it is combusted

still you cant beat lighter convenience i love my hemp wick and use it when i have a candle around but i find more often then not its just better to use a lighter

4. #4 ReturnFire333, Jun 9, 2014

You'd have to cite that with a scientifically backed source for me to believe that.

5. #5 canadaseed, Jun 9, 2014
    there's impurities in the butane especially those cheap dollar store lighters.  It's the other compounds I'm worried about.  Personally when I use a lighter on my bowls I can taste the lighter fluid strong and I find it irritates my throat.  I can say since i stopped using lighters and started using the hemp wick, not only is my throat not getting irritated but i can taste the weed much better! 

6. I love hemp strings. But if you use the lighter correctly, aka corning perfectly when using a bowl. Then there isn't an worry. The people that stick the light straight on top will inhale some butane, but not much. 

It would be dangerous if you smoked over 20 bowls a day, some crazy amount. Then in retrospective you're taking in a bunch through small amounts throughout the day.

7. I definitely prefer using hemp wick over a lighter, but nothing beats herb iron/embur.
    I don't really believe that using a lighter is that much more detrimental to your health.
    It's just that once I got an herb iron, hitting a piece with a lighter tasted terrible.
    I only use lighters for the occasional joint.
    If you haven't tried hitting a bong with an herb iron/embur or even hemp wick, you're missing out on half your herbs flavors IMO.

8. i have a 200ft ball of hemp wick sitting in my weed drawer. and started wrapping all my lighter with it. i can definitely taste the difference between bic to weed and hemp wick to weed.

9. I use big cannabis plant stalks and rub them together real fast till i get flame.

10. I havent used a lighter for my bowls in about a year. Fuckin hempwick for the win

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. you do inhale butane, yes, but it such a small amount that it's easily overlooked. however I do notice a taste difference when I use hemp wick.

12. Using FUCK lighters DAMNIT gives COCK you SHIT tourette BALLS syndrome PUSSY!

13. Yes sir I apologize for the inconvenience.

It will never happen again.

Sent from my iPhone on the moon

14. use matches

15. im glad you brought this up. Ive realized that most of the negative affects I get physically from smoking are linked to the butane from the lighter...really need to change my ways soon.

16. #16 BurnAFewDown, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2014
    That's not even remotely a crazy amount. That's me on a mild day. Usually 20-30 dabs a day and just as many bowl packs

17. Not all of the fumes get combusted. Hemp wick is the shit. I also advise against using a rolling paper to fire up your cannabis as the "glue" depending on the brand of paper you use can contain some very unhealthy chemicals that can damage one's lungs.

18. lol if I was concerned with my health I would by smoke cigarettes. Not using a lighter makes you look dumb

Sent from my XT907 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. Hemp wick is vastly superior than the lighter.  I can't even use a lighter anymore because the of the taste.  The herb iron or glass wand are even better for taste than hemp wick.  I personally use a glass wand and little torch about half of the time...the other half Bee-line. 

20. Fuck lighter, fuck string fuck match's! Propane torch for the win motherfuckers lol!!! Nice side effect of smoking errl.