Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Stop holding it in

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Hello there!, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Thanks for the clarification.

2. I will take a hit or two followed by a deep breath and a slow exhale.

If your vaping anything that comes out is wasted, it's vapour not smoke.

3. +Rep for this smart man.

Been saying for years to all of my friends that you don't have to hold it in longer, it really is just unhealthy.

4. I hold for 5 seconds, no more is needed. There is a noticeable difference between 1 second and 5 though.

5. I held smoke it for about 3 seconds, no need for more.

Vapor is VERY different though and this rule should not be applied to it. Exhaled vapor IS wasted vapor.

6. [quote name='"Heosphoros"']I held smoke it for about 3 seconds, no need for more.

Vapor is VERY different though and this rule should not be applied to it. Exhaled vapor IS wasted vapor.[/quote]

Still depriving your self of oxygen regardless if its vapor or not

7. [quote name='"Nate489"']

Still depriving your self of oxygen regardless if its vapor or not[/quote]

But there's much, much less carbon monoxide, and there's a lot more oxygen in vapor than smoke. So you aren't depriving yourself of oxygen very much, certainly much less than when one decides to go swimming. I'd say holding your breath a bit longer is worth the significant amount of THC.

8. [quote name='"bongdiggity"']

He said he can tell the difference between inhalation methods, not between the two substances. Most people inhale cigs shallow and don't hold it in like they do weed.[/quote]

Oh, my bad. I read that wrong

9. If you don't like the head rush from holding the hit an extra 2 seconds, you're lying.

10. [quote name='"Smokey55109"']If you don't like the head rush from holding the hit an extra 2 seconds, you're lying.[/quote]

Very very true. I call the head rush a "straight dome shot", and it's one of my favorite feelings when I smoke. On average I hold it in for 3-4 seconds no matter what type of piece using.

11. Haha Im pretty sure you got this from my thread. Honestly I think over all holding it in longer isn't significantly destructive to your lungs. When I first started smoking, holding it in as long as possible was how I was taught. From the begining I wasnt that good but with several years of practice Im pretty damn good at it. It shows my lungs have gotten stronger. I would have to agree that there must be some sort of tar or resin build up that can develop in the lungs. Sometimes when coughing I will cough up clear mucus but I have noticed small dark gray flecks in it. Not sure if I had it before smoking, but I am not sure I did.

Either way, when I hold it in less for ten seconds, I often have a feeling of shame like I have wasted it, when I see all the smoke leave my mouth. Yes I hold it in long enough so that I ghost it when exhaling. Doing it less just feels so wrong to me. I also have it as an advantage when smoking in the house since I still live with my mom (Im 18) and I feel that ghosting reduces the smell as opposed to letting all the smoke go.

12. So you ghost most if not all of your hits? If so, thats stupid man, change your habits

13. Well definitely anything more than 2-3 seconds and you are just damaging your lungs with no +tives

14. [quote name='"Iluvatar"']
    So you ghost most if not all of your hits? If so, thats stupid man, change your habits[/quote]

It's not stupid, that's how he likes to smoke.

15. Actually it is. It makes no sense at all to ghost every hit

16. [quote name='"Iluvatar"']
    Actually it is. It makes no sense at all to ghost every hit[/quote]

Except for the fact that's how he likes to smoke.

17. [quote name='"Iluvatar"']
    Actually it is. It makes no sense at all to ghost every hit[/quote]

Except for the fact thats how he likes to smoke.

18. Hitler liked to kill Jews, didn't make it okay or mean it made sense.

Sorry, I had to go there.

19. Nice thread. I read most of the comments on the first page and skipped the rest since I pretty much agree with the OP.

When I was in Amsterdam I saw a pamphlet or some kind of handout at Mellow Yellow. It said the exact same thing. Don't hold your breath, it doesn't make you higher and it will probably make you cough more. I REALLY WISH I brought a copy of that shit with me! Just to show everyone that SOMEONE agrees with me that's in the business and should know the truth.

20. 5 seconds is good enough for me