Stop eating top ramen!

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by spire8989, Apr 6, 2009.

1. I've noticed a lot of you guys seem to love top ramen, regardless of how cheap it may be, it IS lowering your life expectancy. There are hundreds of articles on the internet about how MSG (monosodium glutumate) is killing us. Here's a quick reference one: http://www.theinternetcooker.com/?p=6

Just try to look at ingredient lists for monosodium glutumate, keep a higher standard of health. There's plenty of sites (including the one above) which list healthy meals for under $3 a serving.

• Like Like x 2
  2. This is your first post, did you join just to tell people this. For the record, I dont eat top ramen, its gross i think but yeah i cant be good at the price it has. Besides it has no nutritional value, its just noodles and artificial flavoring, so you are just eating starch, which in turn means you are basically eating sugar.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Heh, no I didn't join just to say that, I was just on this site while I was arguing with my girlfriend about it. I browse here occasionally is all.

4. I love ramen and will not stop eating it unless it burns my eyes with as soon as I eat a bowl of it. Other than that, no luck persuading me. Someone always tries to find the deadly side of a product just to ruin the fun. Besides, how supporting is that site in regards to correct information?

5. It is correct information. There are many resources and articles about how bad top ramen is for you...

6. I may get flamed for this, but I don't think that eating top ramen is any worst for you than smoking weed. Sure, MSG is bad for you, but it tastes good, and everything in moderation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. I haven eaten ramen noodles in like 6 years. I'd rather just make regular speggetti/pasta.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Maybe you should also stop breathing because of the dust particles in the air probably arent doing your lungs good, lol

What doesnt kill you these days ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Most things you do are bad for you.

I mean, come on a forum dedicated to smoking, where everyone smokes weed, and most people smoke tobacco, and talk about deadly noodles?

Seriously...

10. mmmm sautee some onions nd corn throw it in dried cooked ramen noodles add some fake parmasean cheese or lots of cheap frozen or canned veggies. trust me i had to live on ramen for 4 months after my roomate moved out now i got roomates nd free food lol. after living on ramen you figure out how to make it taste better nd be slightly healthier

11. Everything in moderation. Besides, a little fake chicken flavor is good once in a while. :D

12. #12 InnerPeace, Apr 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2009

fuck all that bullshit. Get some chicken breasts and maybe lemon pepper seasoning, grill it, cut in pieces and mix it with the ramen. And throw away the chicken flavor shit...ahahha I just might do this

13. That's good too. I'm just a fan of food, whether it's real or not. :yummy:

14. This article doesn't look very convincing, why?

Explain.

How where these symptoms linked to MSG?

Even marijuana has the theoretical possibility to kill humans in high enough doses, but then, no one has ever died in recorded history from its consumption.

How much is normally used in food? How much where these animals given? How do I know this isn't simply made up?

Name them.

MSG as I understand it (Admittedly, I am not a scientist) is a sodium salt and is a crystalline powder in its pure form. I am sorry if this accusation seems a bit bizarre. Though, as I said, I am not a scientist, please explain how this is so.

Despite this claim, science has failed to prove that MSG is indeed harmful for you.

Review of Alleged Reaction to Monosodium Glutamate and Outcome of a Multicenter Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Study -- Geha et al. 130 (4): 1058 -- Journal of Nutrition

Or if this is wrong, please show me how so. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. one time after i discovered the cup noodles, i blew about $3 on 8 of them and ate them over the next couple days. got a migraine after I finished them all.

16. I live off of Cup Noodles. I'm in college right now.

I'll stop eating them when you start paying for my lunch because I can't afford anything else. So Zelle me some lunch money $$$ Image (1).jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Oxygen is way deadlier for you than MSG ever could be.
    Maybe we should all stop breathing?

Everything you intake is bad for you in some way or another.
    Just enjoy your life and stop worrying about how you will die.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. As a korean, FUCK no.
    I'm eating some right now.

Of all the junk fast food, ramen shouldn't be a concern.

19. MSG isnt waht you have to worry about in Ramen, though it is one thing.

Kareem Abdual Jabbar suffered migraine headaches during all of his basketball career. He went to Drs and nobody could figure it out.

Until one Dr told him he needed to write down everything he did, and ate for a week.

Some to find out, he went to eat at a chinese restaurant as a ritual before each game.
    So tomake a long story short. They narrowed it down to he has an MSG allergy. He stopped eating MSG, and never had a headache again.

It is High Glycemic. White flour products have a higher Glycemic Index than pure table sugar. I believe Sugar as an Index of 72, and white flour is closer to 90.
    People live on those in prison, and also use it as cash.
    They are also extremely high in sodium.

But one can find brands that are actually good for you, but they are very hard to find, in some places. Big market areas should have no problem finding healthy Ramen.

20. Any food that is highly processed isn’t going to be good for you, but as others in this thread have pointed out there are ways of making ramen healthier for you. The easiest way to do this is add unprocessed stuff to your ramen an not use the accompanying flavor packet, which is the primary source of MSG.