Stood up to my boss, and it paid off

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by exonmoble, Nov 23, 2011.

1. #1 exonmoble, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
    My boss is a strict ex-army guy, he's totally anal about fucking everything. Most people at work wouldnt ever question him about anything. He has no problem having a massive argument with anyone about nothing.

Anyway, i needed a month of from work for my trip to Thailand. I had enough days leave saved to cover the time i was away, and i had already paid a deposit on my tickets to hold them. I'm leaving on the 11th of Jan so i was giving him over 2 months notice.

I ask him for the leave. He says "impossible".

Me: i'm sorry but i can't accept that as an answer, i've already paid over $2000 for my plane tickets and there's a $600 cancellation fee (not true). Either i get this leave or i'll hand in my two weeks notice and you wont have me for the entire x-mas period.

Boss: You don't tell me what is and isnt acceptable, you don't threaten me, that's not how this works.

Me: i'm not threatening you, i'm just telling you my position.

Boss: ok then i'll be waiting for your letter of resignation.

Me: i dont want to have to do that.

*tells me to sit down*

Boss: Your asking for leave at the worst possible time, we dont have enough staff to cover you while you are away. I cant give you this leave...

*i interrupt*

Me: can i speak?

Boss: You don't interrupt someone to ask if you can speak

*i continue anyway*

Me: this is my position i've paid for these tickets, either we can sort this out and i'll work up untill the day i leave in jan, or i will literally have to quit.

Boss: ok, ok I'm going to make some calls to see if we can make this work. Come back to me a 4pm and we can continue this conversation when we have both calmed down.

Me: ok *leaves room*

4pm.

boss says he called human resources and i can get the leave. I say i appreciate that, we shake hands i leave happy.

The best part is he doesnt treat me like some 19 year old punk anymore, def showing me a lot more respect, it's fucking weird how people work. Be nice to them they walk all over you, stand up to them, tell them what they dont want to hear and they'll respect you.

• Like Like x 3
  2. respect!
    nice signature too

3. #3 NotoriousCheech, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2011
    loololollolooloolololoolol
    edit- very nice though !

4. lol wut?

5. "hes totally anal about fucking everything"
    :p
    just ball busting. good that he let you take leave. what all are you going to do in thailand?

6. I'm going backpacking with my friend. Going up north to the jungles then across the border to Laos for a bit, then back down to Bangkok, from there going down the southern beaches and to this island for a week for the famous "full moon party" $3 for a bucket of vodka and redbull. Then pretty much back to bangkok then home to New Zealand

7. nice one dude, always good tostand up to thedicksin life

8. Thanks:D, i think?

"thedicksin":confused:

• Like Like x 1
  9. [quote name='"cronicdemonic"']I'm going backpacking with my friend. Going up north to the jungles then across the border to Laos for a bit, then back down to Bangkok, from there going down the southern beaches and to this island for a week for the famous "full moon party" $3 for a bucket of vodka and redbull. Then pretty much back to bangkok then home to New Zealand[/quote]

Ive seen vids of thr fullmoon party. I hink two yrs ago it was on new years eve. Shit was off the wall. Ask to see the "pingpong show"

10. Pro, man, pro. I might have to channel you soon for my boss.

11. Quoted for truth! I'm a nice guy and often times it works against me. it's not great that people don't value being nice.....but that often happens

:)

12. story of my life man, I try to respect everyone and everyone's opinions, but sometimes it limits me life. I honestly can't help it lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. at the last few lines of your post, your damn right.

14. lol, does your boss often refer to himself in third person?

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you are!!!hehe

15. I say its about balance. Being nice is important, we need more nice people. But i think you should only be nice to people if the deserve it.

16. [​IMG]

17. Sounds like your boss is really a coward.

It also may be the case that he is jealous that you are taking a nice vacation to an exotic destination..

18. Hopefully the prick isn't trying to fill you're spot in during your vacation now because of the tone you used. Twisted thinkers the fuckers are i tell ye

19. YES, this is exactly it. He puts on a tough "I'm the muthafucking boss" attitude but when it come down to it he's just another person, no better than me.