stoner students.........what are your best techniques for study?

Discussion in 'General' started by potblower, Apr 30, 2010.

1. please no weed or any other types of drugs

iam starting to cut back from an everyday smoker to just sundays b/c of my attention span when studying, i found it to be extremly helpful after just 1 day of soberness, also NOT listening to music and tv helps a lot too, less voices in your head, what else can help>?

i seen this thing on the news where this harvard professor takes addaral or some shit and thats how he gets through studying, yet he thinks nothing of the side effects and thinks its compelety safe, is this guy full of shit or what?

2. Well, My friend keeps a 93% in college and He only smokes on the weekends
    I keep a 3.8gpa but only smoke at special events (parties ect.)
    as for the Adrenaline booster or w.e talking about, When I work out I drink alot of syrup and it keeps me focused try that or use Ritalin.

3. Sticking to a schedule is what worked for me. Instead of putting homework off until the last minute and cramming for exams, just try managing you're time better. Less stress!

The part about the Adderall is not complete bullshit, but I'd stick to caffeine and energy drinks if I was you.

4. You say not to talk about any drugs but then you ask about adderall? Which is it?

When I really need to crack down and get some studying done I do take an addy or a concerta. It focuses me really well and I'm able go get shit done. Otherwise I just wait to smoke until afterwards.

5. heres how i study, it works because i never study for any exam for more than 30 minutes to an hour or so and never get below a b (this is in college classes), i also have an exceptional memory but ive been told this is the recommended way to study for tests, i just happened to have been doing it since i was in elementary school

go over the first thing you need to study for a test, then dont look at what you are studying and see if you can remember it. after you get to the point where you remember it, move to the second thing on the test, go over it, then try to remember both the first and second things you studied

then with the third you would go over it, remember first second and third, etc.... until you have studied everything you need

this way you are reviewing everything youve studied with every new thing you study'

hopefully that was not as confusing as it sounds to me, im kind of blazed right now...

6. OP if none of this works for you just buy a iphone with wifi and just sneak that bitch into your tests and google your answers rofl :3

7. I'm a med student. I smoke all day, everyday, hold down a full time job and still get straight A's. It's not that difficult...you just gotta find what works best for you.

I've found that I have a very visual memory and can call up "photos" of my notes in my brain with a trigger. For instance, if I'm taking a test and a question is about the oscillator genes in the mammalian brain, then I'm able to think back through my notes and actually see where, and what, I wrote down about that subject on my notes.

To do this I just simply copy my notes by hand several times. I take all my notes in class with my laptop, and then as soon as I get home I copy them into a notebook. Throughout the week I'll copy that set of notes again, back and forth between typing them on the computer and writing them out by hand.

After about the 4th time or so I have a picture, in my head, of my notes, which I can scan through at a moments notice.

I realize not everybody's brains works like this. But I do think there is a lot to be said for memorization of concepts just by merely re-writing your notes.

8. The key is to study in advance, if you sit down and go over the material two nights before the test you will retain it better than if you stayed up all night and crammed because sleeping "on it" will help you. I like to drink some coffee before I study get some caffeine in me but not a ton like a Monster and I need music, silence doesn't work for me and its not really an option in college anyway....I like to listen to shit like Biggie, Big L, Gangstarr, Cormega, etc etc the slow beats and steady delivery help me I guess lol.

9. I always start studying for a specific exam a week in advance.
    For me,

6 sessions of 20 minutes > 1 session of 2 hours
    :wave:

10. I wear black latex, hang upside down like a bat and listen to hannah montana.

Really helps me study.

• Like Like x 1
  11. i wanna bone hannah montana

12. I smoke all the time, but i study sober. The best is to make some time for a given subject every day, and study a little at a time but lots of times. Do it w/o major distractions like your phone, television, or music that is heavy on lyrics. Primarily instrumental music works fine for a soundtrack but lyrical music will slow you down if you're reading (and how are you studying if you're not reading).

Read the material more than once, asking yourself questions about it as you go along. Write these questions down, and look for answers in the text. Highlight any text of interest that you might think contains important information. See if you can answer all the questions that arise in all the readings, and if and when you can do that you are probably ready for a test on that material. If the book has a review, master it, but i would still recommend trying to answer the questions you make up about what you're reading.

If i'm cramming for a test, I build a study guide or cheat sheet. This seems to have a similar affect to taking notes while i'm sitting through a lecture. Of course, you can also look over that in class before any impending test actually begins, and it never hurts to freshen up the info in your mind.

Once I feel ready, I reward myself with a toke.

13. #13 JesusGreen, Apr 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2010
    Study high, take the test high, get high scores.

On a serious note though, do what works best for you. If you find it hard to study when you're high, then smoke less, your exams are important. If on the other hand smoking helps you study/do exams, then smoke away :)

Just find what works for you.

14. You gotta try out different methods and see which one works best for you. For me, I gotta be sober (I could do it high but when I'm high I like to enjoy it, not worry about school work and homework and studying). My memory is pretty retentive despite being a stoner chick, so sometimes I won't even need to study. I'll just glance at things to make sure I have everything in check and take the test and still pass with like an "A" or "B".

Now, I'm doing this in community college and I'm positive when med school this will change due to needing to memorize a whole truckload of different things. But again, I have a pretty good retentive memory so I don't think that will be much of a problem for me because it's something that interests me therefore memorizing won't be that much of a problem.

Back to what I was saying about me studying now, yeh, my memory is that good that I won't even need to bother studying because all the information is already stored. But when I do study a little bit on things I don't know or know well enough, I do it sober. They say studying in the afternoon is the best time to memorize things (I've read an article on this in middle school I believe, I'll have to look that up now). After studying and making sure I know what will be in a lecture or quiz or test, I reward myself with a toke (if I have any green lol).

I hate smoking and then having to worry about school work, it's such a buzzkill. I like to get high after as a treat of getting everything accomplished. I'll be able to sit back and relax and listen to some tunes and what not in peace :cool:

So again OP, try different methods out. Some people say they study better high, some prefer not to. Find what is best for you :wave:

15. I just work during the day and reward myself by smoking in the evening.

16. I can do work when I'm high, my effectiveness when I'm high is a different story, but I choose not to do work high because as someone else mentioned I'd prefer to spend my high doing something else.

The big thing for me is using weed as a motivator when I have work to do. I tell myself I won't hit a bowl until I get these notes done, or won't roll a joint until I've finished this much studying. It's been a pretty effective method for me as I love me a good evening smoke sesh and can't stand missing out on one because of school.

17. Sugar helps me stay focused on long nights. Not too much, just enough to stay alert.

18. Don't smoke, etc during school/class (obviously) and stay away from it the whole day if you have all day classes and test-studying.
    Otherwise, have fun when it's not time for school- this will help your soberity stick with itself and make your mind realize fun is seperate from work.

19. Its a lot more enjoyable if you smoke after you are done studying. Set a time and stick to it.

20. one of my buds used MJ as a 'prize' as it were in which he would get his shit done then when its done, take another hit of his chosen drug of choice

do your homework get said 'prize'