Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Stoner Stereotype

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Orangecrush, Oct 6, 2006.

1. I live in Maryland and it is a pretty diverse area. I am right between Baltimore and Washington, D.C. Its been about a year since I started growing out my hair and I've gotten pretty scruffy looking. I get the hippy or jesus look jokes all the time. Which is fine from people I know, but recently I have started to notice dirty looks from people at random times.

The other day I had to run to Home Depot to pick up some stuff for a project for class. Pulling into the parking lot, I must have attracted the eyes of numerous people. Dirty glares or just looks like what the hell are you doing here? You'd think at this point in time, a guy could go to Home Depot to buy whatever the hell he wants.

The worst case I have ever had was right when I started growing out my hair, I was a manager in a retail store and the district manager made a visit and I couldn't answer a couple of her questions. They were all about stuff we went over in the store before Christmas and hadn't gone over it since then.(It was probably 2-3 months after Christmas.) One of my close friends and previous bosses worked in another store and I ended up hearing from him that my district manager went to their store and said that I was an embarrassment and that I was coming into work stoned. This really offended me! For me, there is a time and a place for everything, and I just wouldn't do something like that. She ended up getting chewed out by a couple people, but it still pissed me off. I ended up leaving the store for various reasons a few months later.

*Sigh* People can be so ignorant sometimes. Anyways, was just wondering if anyone else had similar stories.

2. Yeah, I have long hair and often sport dirty clothes. People do give you a look of shame, as if it was of any importance to them.

The way I see it, theyre the idiots not me. I have enough sense to realize that the type of clothes and hairstyle i have is not a reflection of the persons character. I have enough brain power to look past that, and judge an individual for who they are, based on their actions, rather than what they chose to cover their nipples with. Those people are the ones that tell us the latest celebrity news, the ones that point and laugh for the differences and never acknowledge the extreme similarities. These are the people that keep on shoveling shit into this world. Im fine with being a dirty, long haired, pot smoking, beer drinking motherfucker.

3. ok you're falling into a ridiculous stereotype yourself right here, maybe you might want to reread what you just typed when you're in a better state of mind :confused:

4. I dont really know about the dirty part...I like to be clean..

5. I know exactly what you all are talking about. Ive been growing my hair out for about a year now and I get the same feelings you do. I went in to do one of those all-day testings for all kinds of disorders, and the first thing the guy who testing me said, was "You need to cut your hair", and the second thing he said was "how much marijuana you smoke?"

That pissed me off beyond belief!

6. More of a figure of speech than anything, personal hygene should be somewhat of a priority.

Im not dirty to the point of reeking of a putrid stench, more of the oily hair type.

Yeah, im high.

7. Well I dont think long hair fits men really, its not feminine it just does look weird to me.. I dunno there are lots of jobs that require you have short hair and are cleaned up, the best paying jobs usually are like that, when I had long hair I got jokes all the time, I cut it, looks better, and bye bye to the insults.

By the way I got it cut as a personal choice not a peer choice.

This isnt aimed at you at all cause I dont know you personally of course, but a lot of people start growing there hair out when they start smoking weed as if they need to fit the image, I think thats why all people think every guy with long messy hair is a stoner, but I mean you cant get mad when you fit an image that most of the public views as some bad drugged person.

Like me and my friends used to laugh when guys with dirty long hair walked by, but now some of those friends have the same hair style because they started smoking weed and want the image too, its weird man.

The same thing kinda goes for wanna be thugs, some start that phase after smoking, know what I mean?

Im not saying your going through a phase, long hair maybe looks better than short hair on you as I said I dunno. This is just based on my experience in my city.

8. I cut my hair a month or 2 ago... was past my shoulders... I just got too lazy and tired of shampooing the fuck out of it every morning so I lopped it off.

But I'll never lop off my ass-hair. Never.... well, maybe until the braids come loose.

9. I dress like a motherfuckin high roller. Strangers who see me would never expect I smoke pot 24/7.

10. yea no doubt, fukin cut yur hair you stoner bums, like come on you're all just emotionally attatched to what looks like living hell. fukin shape up a little. wear some nice new cloths and put on some calogne damm u guys give stoners a bad rep. no offence. offence.

11. Yeah man, i know exactly what you mean. I've only really been smoking for about 2 years, but I guess i've looked stonery my whole life. i've had long hair pretty much since middle school, with about a year of bleached hair thrown in there while i was single-handedly trying to save punk rock. I've always been real lazy, generally non-confrontational, easygoing, and generally unmotivated. since i've started smoking, all those negative things have improved, and i've become even more diplomatic or whatever. point is that for almost 4 years before i started smoking as a personal choice (i don't really care what other people think i do as a first impression. my friends know ME and that's what matters), I got the "how much you smoke" question at the very least bi-weekly. I cut my hair off about 3 weeks ago, for the same reason homeboy up there did, just took too damn long in the shower, and i was spending a fortune on shampoo. instantly, the questions stopped. Now, when i wear dirty clothes and my hat, i get the same looks in the mall (GOD i hate the mall). but man, you know what i've noticed? I pulled cooler chicks when i had the shag than i do now that all the hair on my head is a quarter-inch long. looks-wise, it's about equal, but quality doesn't compare.

12. Lol it amazes me how some of you people reacted to this post. I said I grew out my hair, no where in there did I say anything about the way I dressed or anything. Until last year, if my hair was touching my ears, that meant it was time for another hair cut. I had short hair all my life and decided it was time for a change.

You people that sit there and say we give stoners a bad rep just based on our image are idiots. And you offend me just as much as any one of those people that are giving me dirty looks. YOU DONT KNOW ME. Stop judging me or anyone else on this site just based on HOW they said they look. I really thought that people here would have more of an open mind, but wow.

13. You'd think in the year 2006 people would be smart enough not to judge...

Just the way it is I guess

14. Oh Come-on. what a load of bullshit.

15. I've grown my hair out before and actually had my driver's license photo taken when I looked like a hippy so I always have to show people the difference between then and now for comical effect.

There can be no upside to living your life as the douchebag that tries to make fun of others' hair. If everyone had regular hair cuts how interesting would life be?:rolleyes:

16. Damn, i grew my hair out once, but no one really gives dirty looks around here, mainly because its the #18 on the most dangerous cities, and you will get your ass shot or fucked up if you grill people wrong, my hair is mad curly, i kinda have an afro shaggy kind of thing goin on, but i shower 3 times a day, i gotta stay fresh, i feel for you guys tho.

17. I live in a rich tourist town. beachfront properties and millionairs walkin everywheres. here all the smokes roll in nice cars wit tinted windows. we all wear nice cloths wit nice smells and nice hair. i dunno but letting weed make yurself let yurself go shagg stylz. (if u can get that) just aint cool. get muh drift? get a haircut

18. Weed had absolutely nothing to do with my decision to grow my hair out. And its attitudes like yours that make me recieve the looks. Before when I smoked, it was ALWAYS a group thing. And it was usually only a couple times a month. Probably about a couple months ago, I just now started smoking by myself.

Again, I said that I had short hair for 18 years of my life. I wanted to try something different. And your closed mind attitude is what causes the whole stereotype.

Wow. What really gets me now, is if I'm walking somewhere, and I get a dirty look from a fellow stoner? Thats rediculous. Grow up man. Seriously. What has the world come to when a stoner is adding more fuel to the prejudice? Sad day

19. Orangecrush came here with respect...i suggest you show some 2joints...kinda shocked me with the whole "get muh drift? get a haircut" thing.

Sorry orange, +rep , my friend goes through the same thing.

20. i aint in that stero type..i drive a highly custom car and stay fresh at all times only the homies and fam know i toke but its your thing not mine