Stoner Programmers!

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Twist3d, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Hey there, Im starting to study system engineering at college, and let me tell you, thats an awesome career, this is my first semester but I'm loving it! I smoke a lot of weed before each class, and yeah.. Im doing great! Im actually the #1 in my class (cmon, im not being cocky, I just wanna share that)

And a lot of people is like "Dude, you smoke a lot of weed and you are getting great grades?"

And I'm like..

YEAAAAAAAAAAAH :smoke:

Well, Im just starting, so... Probably thats it, but..

I wanna know how many potheads programmers are over here!

Do you smoke before going to work, during, or after?

Thanks..:p

boy im stoned lol :D

2. Yeah man. Programming is so easy to overthink, but if you can take a few hits and step back and look at it, it makes it so much simpler. I used to be useless even in JavaScript. Then i started smoking...

3. I have a bachelors degree in CS. I guess that makes me a stoned programmer.

4. I understand the concepts and I can do basic programming, but I always get lost in the definitions. Some sentences in programming books may as well be written in martian. I guess Its because alot of statements in programming have to do with mathematics and Im not exactly good and fresh when it comes to math.

5. Thats why i always liked hands on learning when it comes to computers. With those books you almost have to read every sentence 2 or 3 times to get what theyre saying. They toss in all this extra jargon and long, unnecessary words. Its gets so confusing after a while that it hurts

6. Yep pretty much. I literally have 4 gigs worth of programming pdfs. Every once in a while I decide to try and learn game programming. I always start off with like easy python fundamentals but I always get discouraged with all the complicated jargon and give up. I mean who the hell wants to look up 5 or 6 words in the dictionary for every sentence read. As where I if I were to watch someone actually design and implement something, I pick it up first try, but I think its hard to find good free lectures on the net.

7. I haven't used my G.I. Bill from the military yet, but this is exactly what I want to do.

How good at math do you need to be? I'm somewhat lacking in that area.

8. It all depends on what venue you decide to take. A game developer for instance, is going to use a whole lot more math than someone doing say network programming. But in general you need a fairly solid foundation in math.

9. I guess I need to do some self-tutoring then, because just about everything I'm interested in requires a great deal of math work.

School for me right now is way more intimidating than my deployments to Iraq or Afghanistan. Like I wanna start but don't know where to begin.

10. Another thing to consider in regards to programming. How much effort are you willing to put in? Computer technologies are advancing at a monumental rate. By they time you received your degree in computer programming, most of what you learned will be outdated by some new technologies. So it's really a continuous learning cycle, it never ends.

11. #11 Twist3d, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2011
    LOL?
    Softwares or hardwares may advance, but programming languages dont change dude...
    :smoke:

EDIT:
    Solid foundations in math?

Come on! you are going to be learning some new stuff... You may have to study a little bit more than the others but you'll do great if you effort!

12. I'm the best SQL programmer there is.

C# is frustrating but I'm starting to get it. I have comments every other line to tell me whats what.

13. Really? You honestly believe programming languages dont change?
    List of programming languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

14. Languages get updates, but new languages will replace them eventually.

15. Fellow programmers!....OP like you i smoked a ton and i had the highest grade in my programming class (first time I was ever the top of my class in a college course) good luck to you bro.

16. Yes me. I've written many complete and released apps, ranging from everything from simple games, to full fledged client/server apps, AI, and more. Nothing major, but enough to become 'fluent' in programming languages. I'm a beast when it comes to OOP concepts and various data structures.

I've started tons of side projects and such of course. Most of my time programming was spent writing network protocol emulation clients (chat bots) for Blizzard's old battle.net.

It's been a few years since I've been heavily involved in it though, I guess around the time I got more into bud I stopped coding.

I'll have to give it a try. :smoke:

17. #17 oceansgreen, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2011
    i'm an amatuer online game designer and am currently taking classes in offline game design as well as web design and next year i'll be taking a class on C++ programming.
    not sure if i wanna make it a career but it sure is fun to learn!
    and to answer OP's question... no i generally don't toke before work but i don't do this for a living haha:smoke:

18. Yes. Weed and programming go hand in hand for sure.

Sometimes you need to get creative to solve a problem; weed helps lots with that. I like to smoke at lunch before I go back to work and sit in my cube high while programming.

19. I'm not a programmer by trade, but I write some code and I write most of it high! I'm a biologist but I've ended up doing a fair bit of coding in the last couple of years

I love doing pseudo-coding and coding while high, but I have to sober up for bug checking. The structure of my high code is okay but I make a lot of typos. :/

Glad to know there are some stoned programmers out there.

20. #20 forthelulz, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2011
    Hell yeah dude:smoke: I'm taking computer science at my school, unfortunately I don't have the option at all of showing up high to class(i guess that's not such a bad thing) but at home after I smoke and continue my schoolwork things become so much clearer and problem solving becomes a breeze It's nice to have someone point it out finally, I was beginning to think I'm the only one who thinks the two go seamlessly together. Smoke on man :D