Stoner mistake..Help cleaning my keyboard

Discussion in 'General' started by Blaze_It_Up420, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Well last night Iwas pretty blazed n I had a cup of Hi-C Orange by my desk and I knocked it over onto my keyboard.I didnt think anything of it at the time. Now some of the keys are sticky and harder to press in.

Any ideas how to clean it?

2. All the keys would have to removed to clean the sticky substance off then dryed and the keys put back in place.

I wouldent recomend doing this bake or you will be on it all night.

Also a second answer to you problem would be to just replace the whole keyboard.

Good luck man.

3. yea just get a new keyboard

4. just pop the keys out or even unscrew it if youd like to get it totaly cleaned and rub everything down with rubbing alc. just make sure its unplugged and dryed when you plug it back it

5. It depends on the keyboard design.

On some keyboards, you can remove the electronic layer from the mechanical layer. On those type, just remove the electronics, and drop the whole thing on your bath. Regular soap and water, etc. Shake it around, rinse and hang up to dry like a T-Shirt. You can use a cool fan to speed the drying.

Wipe the keypad (the flat thing that looks like a futuristic keyboard) with isopropyl on a ball of cotton wool.

Otherwise, Isopropyl is excellent for removing juice/beer/gunk from any computer stuff. And lots of cotton buds (aka. "Q-Tips").

-mu

6. yeh jus replace it, hopefully you're not using a laptop

7. I did this once with a jones soda.

I spent like an hour removing the keys and cleaning it with q-tips and a rag. It worked all of 2 days then stopped working completley.

You're probably better off buying a new keyboard. (they're pretty cheap these days)

8. Hmm, Im a broke college student so buying one isnt an option lol. Im gonna try and clean it.Im goin home in a few days so I can probably grab an old one from there.

Thanks for the advice guys.

9. go get one from big lots..it'd be like 2 bucks maybe

our freshman year one of my friends knocked a bong over onto his laptop keyboard and basically flooded the thing with bong water...had to get a new motherboard but they did everything free under warranty

10. My local computer shop has a HUGE box of them, two bucks each. Places that repair/upgrade computers tend to have hundreds lying around. Same for mice, old ram, etc., etc.

The bath thing work well, though, with the right kind of keyboard. I washed off half a can of beer that way.

-mu

11. Turn the keyboard over and unscrew all the screws; then wash it under a faucet with soap or whatever you got.

12. THAT is some top notch tech advice right there :rolleyes:

13. Just get a new keyboard.... and may I recommend a Microsoft wireless one... it comes witha wireless mouse!

14. I took the bad keys out and cleaned em, good as new. thanks for help