Stoned Question

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by smokingjoe68, Mar 25, 2012.

1. So, one of the things I enjoy about getting stoned is that its the only time I find myself considering the big philosophical questions. You know: why am I here, what am I supposed to be doing while I'm here...?

Well; I'm a student of an integrated degree including psychology, sociology and anthropology so I think about human behavior a lot. Why do we do the things we do, especially, in relation to the people around us?

Behavior meets our needs. Much of our behavior meets our psychological needs in the form of communication with other humans.

I was thinking these ideas over this morning and came up with a question. Do we do the things we want to do and spend time with others who like spending time in the same ways? Or, do we look at how others are spending time and begin to behave the way they do?

2. If the answer was a dog it would bite you haha. Both. I think we find things we enjoy by observing what others do and assume we might like it. Then again, I think we also make things our own, and do things for our own enjoyment. There are things we all do that we enjoy but keep to ourselves because it may be "weird". This is very similar to the nature vs. nurture debate. I'm only 18 years old so don't think I have all the answers to life or anything (fuck it who does?). I think we all have interests that we can say we truly enjoy because we just enjoy it. Smoking pot for instance in my case and many others here. However, if I want to associate with the majority of people in college, I will probably conform to drinking at parties in order to "fit in". I'm talking to much but hopefully you get the point. I kind of feel like a dumbass trying to answer a question asked by someone who is smarter than me haha

3. Well if you think about it, in most cases you need to be influenced by someone to begin doing that something in which you enjoy in the first place, which in turn makes us spend time with others that enjoy the same thing. Then you will be the one who is influencing another to do the same.

I'm sure this goes deeper than just that, but I just woke up so thats the best i can give you haha