Stipules ?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by frank drebin, Oct 19, 2010.

1. #1 frank drebin, Oct 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2010
    What exactly are stipules ? What is there purpose to the plant ?

I recently topped my plant and accidently cut off one of the stipules ... pics here..http://forum.grasscity.com/plant-training/683924-hows-my-topping.html

Now i know they must be there for a reason but cant find much info on what they actually do and what they are there for, and more importantly, what happens if they get removed ?

Thanks.

2. In botany, stipule (Latin stipula: straw, stalk[1]) is a term coined by Linnaeus[1] which refers to outgrowths borne on either side of the base of a leafstalk (the petiole). A pair of stipules is considered part of the anatomy of the leaf of a typical flowering plant, although in many species the stipules are inconspicuous or entirely absent (and the leaf is then termed exstipulate).
    Stipules are morphologically variable and might appear as glands, scales, hairs, spines, or laminar (leaf-like) structures. A relationship exists between the anatomy of the stem node and the presence or absence of stipules. Most plants with trilacunar nodes have stipules; species with unilacunar nodes lack stipules (Sinnott and Bailey, 1914, cited in Esau, 1953).

nothing will happen if you cut them off when topping.

3. Thanks man, still cant find out what there actual job or role is, just that there part of the anantomy. Im guessing they could be there to protect the first pre flowers.

However its not a big deal... your last sentence was the most appealing. Everything seems to be good. Getting new growth now after the top. Slowly but surely.

Cheers.