Stinky shirts...

Discussion in 'General' started by RandomThoughts, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Hey folks,

So I have this problem I'm not sure how to deal with.

To begin, I'm not a stinky person - I almost never get bad b.o, even while working out...this could be because I always use anti-perspirant or stay out of the sun most of the time, or it could just be luck.

However, I do sweat.
    Sometimes after a long gym session I'll have a *slight* pit-sweat smell.
    Not an issue really as I don't stink up the place while I'm there and I only ever proceed home after gym sessions.

Now, here's the issue.
    Some t-shirts of mine, I'll wash thereafter.
    Proper washing powder/liquid and fabric softener they smell good when they're dried and ready to wear again.
    The thing is though, when I do wear them - after a while, they start to smell.

I have figured out that heat seems to re-activate dormant sweat/b.o that I thought to be washed out of the shirts.

I've tested this theory and found it to be true - by getting one of the shirts after it's been washed and dried, and heating up the pits by rubbing the material vigorously together with my hands.
    Sure enough, when I do this the smell returns.

Now, it's not "smell it from across the room" kind've bad, but as the wearer of these shirts, I will notice it myself and even if they can't I get to thinking that potentially someone else might as well.
    As a person who prides myself on good hygiene, it makes me a little self conscious and it's a problem for me.

I think that if I soak the pits in a solution of cleaning liquid with Bio-enzymes prior to washing that this can "cure" this condition in the clothing...though I'm not completely sure if it will. I mean I know this stuff is known to break up micro crystals in cat piss and get rid of that particular smell if it's trapped in fabrics, which is what lead me down this path so I'll be at least trying this.

As with many things though, without having seen proof of effect as yet I feel as though it will likely fail (pessimism at its best).

Has anyone here experienced this problem?
    How have you handled it?
    Did anything you did work/not work?

...I mean some of these are relatively new t's, I don't want to just throw them out, so I'd be open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

2. Maybe your pit sweat is just toxic.

3. Hm, it's usually fine...just the shirts that have been worn to gym really...
    But when it sticks in the material, kind've pisses me off.

4. Is the fabric Malaysian?

5. I have the same problem with one of my shirts that I got from a friend. It makes me not want to wear it cause it smells like his sweat, no matter how many times I wash it and it smells after about an hour of wearing it. Neither one of us have a B.O problem either :/

6. Maybe you have a shit diet. You know how when some fat people sweat it smells like salty butter? Same concept.

7. Exactly! Shit diet = Toxic asshole and pit sweat.

8. I use this "Febreze Laundry Odor Eliminator Pro Strength" wash on my gym clothes and my jiu-jitsu shorts. Takes the smell right out.

9. You might stink more than youre aware of.

One of the weirdest thing about senses , is that it is always hard to have an unbiased opinion about thyself.

10. I smell my pit = nothing.
    I smell the shirt = I smell this smell, which smells like my pits after a particularly heavy workout, the shirt definitely carries/concentrates the smell.
    Only "activates" when the shirt is raised to/past body temperature.
    I get the whole bias thing, but genuinely I've never been a person that experiences bad b.o, and I do notice and acknowledge it when I smell sweaty ...if anything I'm particularly sensitive to it.

Nah, diet's all good. Mainly fresh unprocessed foods, minimal take-away and next to no candy/chocolate. I don't do deep fried at all.
    LOL salty butter? I've never encountered that before.

One other guy at my gym smells like ammonia though. Can't even be near him.

Hm, might look into this if I can get it. I know we can get at least *some* types of febreze here.

11. It'll be in the laundry detergent section if you guys carry it there. It just goes in the wash with your normal detergent

12. yeah if you seriously do nothing but eat fatty foods and sit on your ass youlll sweet will be terrible, but it also could be your deorant or the soap you use doesnt do its job anymore, but whos nows