Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Sticky Lickies (Cannabis Lollipops)

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by countzer0, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Hi there, What do you mean about the water method?

2. Seriously, I've never heard about this till today and its the most amazing thing ever! Learn something new every day!:smoke:

3. The concept of sticky lickies is great however there are newer and better methods for making bud candy that do not use butter. I'm no Martha Stewart, but butter does not belong in candy as it just sweats all out like this thread said.

I made some years ago and all they did was tasted like pot. If you look around on the net for just straight up sucker or hard candy recipes 99% do NOT use butter.

With that being said there are newer recipes that will make more potent candy than this.

4. The best hard candy recipes are now based on coconut oil and activated hash extracts, in other words it has been
    decarbed, and processed properly in a better oil source to promote bioavailability.

Cannabis glandular material is notoriously difficult for the body to absorb, even when activated, even when in
    the form of concentrates such as BHO. Even the RSO/Phoenix Tears recipes have been improved upon, to vastly
    improve absorption, and reduce the waste.

It's the same principal used for, not just cannabis, but many pharmaceutical medications, supplements and chemicals
    that our bodies can't easily absorb. It's sometimes known as 'liposomal encapsulation' or LET.
    This does not imply a pill or capsule, but described the process when a bioavailable or easily-absorbed oil, usually
    lecithin in the case of many pharmaceuticals, is used to coat or individually encapsulate the microscopic, miniscule
    particles of a chemical, in order to facilitate the absorption of that chemical.

Without the oil, the majority of those chemicals whether delivering vitamin C, or cannabinoids, 'bounce off'
    cellular walls in the tract, rather than passing through them.

We use the 'edible solvents' we do, not just because they strip glandular material from inert plant matter, but
    because these edible solvents are responsible for facilitating absorption!

Without that oil, the vast majority of your potency is wasted, where it goes 'in one end and out the other' without absorption...
    but where most butters are made incorrectly, many of them do taste horrible.

Canna butter can be used when it's been made properly, if you do not have a better oil source, but coconut oil is ideal
    mainly for absorption, and in part the structure of the candy...

The oil source you use, can control and even dictates specifically where in the body your potency is absorbed, whether
    it's a lesser absorption via the lymphs or superior absorption via the portal vein and liver!

Coconut oil remains more solid at room temp, and it continues to remain solid up to a higher temperature than
    butter, but better, it is comprised mainly of medium-chain triglycerides which are quickly absorbed by the body via
    the portal vein and liver, without requiring the aid of bile salts, this facilitates rapid, reliable absorption that
    is directed through the liver, where much of your D9-THC is converted to the more powerful 11-OH-THC, before delivery
    to the bloodstream! :hello:

You can't use alcohol or glycerin tinctures effectively in hard candies if you want them to work, and last more than
    a few hours, but if you want to absorb your potency you need to use a highly absorb-able 'edible solvent'.. it doesn't
    need to be much, just enough to coat your potency.;

- Glycerin absorbs too much atmospheric water (20%. its own weight, in fact) which damages the integrity
    of the candy.

- And the alcohol required for absorption boils off and evaporates from the hard candy, leaving you with glandular
    material that your body for the most part, can't absorb.

The hard candies we make don't taste like oil has been used, at all, you'd never know it was in there, and as far
    as the canna goes there is only a very subtle hashy flavor a bit like a hashy vape-hit... they don't need to taste
    'green', from chlorophyll or bitter plant salts, in the least.

It's estimated that a minimum of 4/5ths or roughly 80% of cannabis glandular material passes through the average
    human digestive tract without absorption, when eaten as-is, and without ever reaching the bloodstream before evacuation.
    Some scientists believe this
    average to be closer to 90%, based on the examination of the 'waste' when compared to the level of active chemicals
    in the blood stream. :)

For help, see the below;

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Canna Oil (starting with flowers/bud/trim etc)

Med-Grade Canna Oil

[​IMG]

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Hash Oil (starting with dry-sift hash, same as capsule recipe, oil can also be used for cooking)

Med-Grade Hash Oil

[​IMG]

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Cannabis Concentrate (Edible & Smokable recipes included... similar to BHO, but made with food grade/drinking alcohol)

-Medical Grade Cannabis Concentrate-

[​IMG]

Just click the above links for instructions. [​IMG]

-----------------------------

The above links also contain a simple recipe (on the first page) for hard candy....

-"Meddy" Moose Pops-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Philosopher's STONES-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hard enough to shatter for 'glass candy'... the 'S', rectangles and squares were formed by hand while still warm and soft, but
    now, they are hard enough to shatter and break when chewed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's good for other things, too...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With all that being said... butter is actually, ABSOLUTELY used in many 'hard candies' and similar treats!

It just needs to be incorporated correctly. :)

Who here has never heard of peanut brittle? Or how about caramel? :)

5. #85 Dirtbud, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
    Well I would also add I have a crazy tolerance. Also my butter tasted just fine, like good bud (but not super strong tasting of pot). The cookies made from said butter did give me a good buzz and I'd imagine the candy would have to but for 2 reasons:

A) quite a bit of butter sweated out. (my girl is a crazy good in the kitchen and got all the proper butters and stuff to make candy). I know it was not just regular butter I can say that.

B) probably would have had to eat a lot of the candy (and I'm not that much of a candy holic unless we talking chewy sprees!!!)

I have been reading about coconut oil and promoting that method to all my friends hoping someone else I know could try it out before I make candies again. Maybe it's not realistic but I want to get high from eating no more than 1-2 jolly rancher sized candies. If that is not possible then I'd probably stick to my brownies and cookies (which get me zonked for sure).

I am by no means putting down this thread. But wanted to draw attention to other new methods being used as I heard they were more potent. Plus not using butter in a recipe avoids it sweating out I'd imagine.

BKS: thanks for all the great info in your posts. Feeling a bit silly now that I realize it was also your threads I was reading on about the coconut oil! lol

6. I recently bought a few cannabis pops at the Austin reggae fest but they tasted like straight hash with a slight sweet taste. You could also see small specks of hash in the candy when held up to the right. Does anyone know why they came out this way? What could have been done to prevent the sweetness of the candy?

7. No worries, I've been trying to shine a light on better methods for the last few years here, mainly to help folks avoid wasting their precious material, myself. :)

I'd suggest having your girlfriend (or you, if you're no longer together) practice with making non-canna hard caramels and peanut brittle (or just the same exact recipe she's been using with the same oil/butter, but without canna), until they begin to come out correctly, if she wants to continue to use butter in candy.

These recipes require as much as 2 Tbsp of butter per cup of sugar, and even the additional milk fat from milk or cream, in the case of caramel candies. And they don't sweat. :)

There's no reason for it to sweat out, unless 1) it just isn't mixed in properly or at the right time, or 2) unless WAY too much butter was used, per cup of sugar, due to inexperience and a misunderstanding of what is required, in order to make a hard candy 'set-up' properly. [​IMG]

Fortunately it's easy getting the right dose per candy, all you need to do, is the math first! :hello:

Different recipes, require different amounts of oil, and they often produce a very different number of servings.. some recipes require a lot of oil and make only two or three servings, some only require a spoon and make dozens of servings..

This is why a candy-strength oil shouldn't be used in baked goods, or pasta, without dilution, and it's why a cookie-strength or pasta-strength oil, is MUCH too weak, to be used in hard candy. The candy requires less, but STRONGER oil, if you want a reasonably-sized dose!

Using cookie-strength butter in a hard candy recipe, is certainly not going to create a very potent product... and using candy-strength butter in cookies, would create cookies that are MUCH too potency to finish.. a bite may lead you to 'greening out'!

Another example: we wouldn't want to use a pasta-sauce strength canna oil, in a batch of cupcakes, for the same reason. They each make a very different number of servings, with a VERY different amount of oil per dose!

A 1/2 cup of cupcake-strength oil, will make 20 - 22 powerful doses... a pasta sauce, requires about 1/4 - 1/3 a cup of oil, just for two servings.

So imagine putting 10 - 11 doses, each of which should be more than powerful enough for a single person, into a recipe that only two people would reasonably be able to eat. :eek:

Or conversely, imagine taking a weak 2-dose oil for a pasta sauce, barely doubling it, and trying to make 20 - 24 cup-cakes... you'd only have around 4 doses in all those cupcakes, so you'd have to eat around 5 of them to get where you need to be! :p

*** It's why you either need to make your oil concentrated, if you want to make a lot all at once and you want to be able to use it in multiple different recipes. This way you can dilute it with the oil the recipe calls for if needed AND use it in recipes that require very little oil...... or, you need to make specific batches of oil or butter, for each recipe you use, to the exact strength required. ***

It's why in my tutorials, I don't give amounts or ratios of oil to cannabis... besides the fact that everyone has a different tolerance and a different, unique intake requirement, but also if I made a specific suggestion, it would only work for a handful of recipes, rendering it useless for hundreds of others!

Instead, I tell my patients before they make their oil, to take the number of servings their recipes will create, multiplied, by their daily intake. :hello:

It's much easier to do this, than just guessing how much everyone will need, and hoping that a single ratio will somehow work for, not only every patient and every recreational user, but also for every single recipe.. that's just madness! :p

----

Luckily, you can very easily fit the concentrated potency from an 8th or more, into a single bite-sized candy if that's as much as you smoke in a day, and it's the size dose you require. :)

A properly made edible will be more powerful, and longer lasting, than smoking the same material... so, you just need to do the math to decide, with how much material/canna you're working with, how many doses you can realistically make.

Then, scale the recipe as required. A cup of sugar only makes about 7oz's worth of candy, that's about 8 - 12 large lollipops, or 18 - 25 medium, to quite-small candies.

Five grams of concentrate per batch is overkill for most people, that's the potency from about an oz of some of the strongest, most resin-filled bud.
    But that amount fills only one teaspoon, and requires only about a teaspoon and a half of oil (or butter, if it's all you have) to efficiently coat and promote bioavailability.. keep in mind that it takes about 1 oz of quite frosty flowers, to make 3 - 5 grams of concentrate.

Meaning you can easily fit the concentrated potency from an entire ounce, into less than a Tablespoon, including the oil or butter you use, which means an ounce can be easily made into as little as half batch of candy, and could even be stronger if you'd like, twice as strong even. :)

Most peanut brittle recipes call for 2+ Tbsp of butter, per each cup of sugar... and they have no problem with leaking, even when un-clarified butter is used for the traditional recipe. When using coconut oil, you're even safer. :)

I make candies for patients, of all different tolerance levels.. the candies I make for some of my older patients, don't even touch me if I eat a handful.

But a tiny lifesaver-sized piece, from those I make to my personal strength (and for some pain and cancer patients) are MUCH too strong for people who smoke less than 3 grams of medical grade flowers per day.
    They just barely taste of herb, mainly due to the terpene content (floral essence, citrus essence, pine etc... cannabis shares many of the same terpenes as our favorite fruits and flowers! By request, and sometimes for myself, I'll often make them without any additional flavoring at all, specifically so folks can taste and enjoy the canna in there, especially if the glandular material has a good spicy-citrus flavor).

To prevent the sweet taste? Hard candy is almost pure sugar, aside from the flavoring and coloring elements. :)

If you're looking for a more sour flavor, you can add citric acid to your candies while boiling the sugar... many, even non-sour candies do taste better with a little citric acid.

And if you can see solid chunks of what appears to be hash, they either didn't strain out the empty trichome cuticles when they finished making their hash or canna oil, which isn't a huge issue for any reason other than texture, or if they are solid chunks of glandular material, they didn't process long enough in oil, to create an evenly-dispersed solution.

Or worse, they just dropped bho or a concentrate directly into the hot sugar, without thinking to promote any amount of bioavailability, which means even if mixed well enough that these folks needed to rely on using much more hash, per dose, than what is actually needed to compensate for what won't be absorbed (creating a candy that 'costs' them several times more than required, in glandular material, than the glandular material or potency that will actually be delivered to the bloodstream).

Hope this helps.... even when you have access to clinics and dispensaries, more often than not, it's still a better idea to make your own edibles.

Even if they make them very well, you can make them just as good, and probably cheaper at home, but worse, and unfortunately, there are MANY clinics who do not make or buy vend/supply, very good quality edibles. :(

8. golden syrup is the same thing