Sterner's journal- 3x3 flood/drain 1000w perpetual. Buckle up kiddies.

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Sterner, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Looks more open after I trimmed some more fans back. I opened up a bunch of sites. I see light gets in deeper and air moves better as well. I'll take a pic and post it up later

2. pics as promised. ;)

Attached Files:

3. AH HAH! You know what I dont see in there? An oscillating fan! You should always have a fan blowing between the tops and the light. This should knock down some of the radiant heat put off from the bulb. This may be cause of the clawing as well. If they continue to be exposed to it, you may experience some light bleaching.

4. almost Trap, BUT I have one. :p you just can't see it in the pic but it's right in front of me.
    you can see it in the pics on my first post. i oscillate it on 3 with the front cover off. :D

5. Hmm, still wondering about the clawing.

6. me too. i have this under control now but for the first 2.5 weeks i was getting large daily temp swings. like 65 lights out and 82 lights on. would this have caused it or stressed them enough to help it along? i know a 10 deg swing is fine but mine was more than that. now its a 7 deg swing.

7. Ya mean this kind of Crow Foot?????

Sure seems the same as your plants and to fix it, they cut back on watering... ;)
    No question in my mind what it could be.... :D

But no, I've never seen that before.... LOL

Attached Files:

8. in dwc yes, clawing is common as most folks dont have enough oxygen in the root zone that just sits in water all the time. IMO with flood/drain and hydroton, its almost impossible to overwater. With every flood you get o2 rich nutrient solustion and then during drain your bringing fresh o2 to the root zone.

I am now starting to wonder if there is enough oxygen and circulation going on in the res.

When i look through new growers threads that are running bucket systems, 90% of there problems are related to insufficient oxygen in the buckets. Walmart aquarium pumps will not get the job done in these instances.

How can he be over watering in F&D when roots are submerged in h20 when running buckets? Simple, more oxygen at the rootzone.

What is your res temp?
    what is your air pump rated in watts?
    how many gallons is your res?

I think the problem lies within these details.

9. I run Ebb&Gro Site system...
    WHICH IS A DIY AT THAT....

The buckets are 5gal, with a 5gal insert, and filled with about 4gal hydroton...
    I run a 55gal res filled to 45gal and I USE NO AIR PUMPS WHAT SO EVER!

You have seen my plants, I have pointed you to images of the root balls I get....
    Also, with that root ball, do you not think for SECOND, that the little bit of O2 which is drawn into that 5gal bucket with water retreating is not used up in a matter of an hour, two tops....

Because I use Co2 and most of the time my chamber it up most of 1800ppm....
    Again, NO AIR PUMPS IN MY RES at all and again, with the root ball I posted up, do you think they are not using what O2 is drawn in within a matter of an hour or so???.....

If I flood my Ebb&Gro system 3-4 times a day (ONLY in flowering) I get that crow foot.....

EDIT:
    Oh, and I DO NOT USE H2O2 unless I'm having an issue with bacteria, which rarely happens because I use pool shock...

10. #90 jakesterjammin, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2012
    Matter fact Trap.....
    See if you can "Find Waldo"......

See if you can find my $300 air pump, it's up high, and on a shelf.... :D
    I do not use air bro, I do not use H2O2, and I run 1500-1800ppm of Co2 in my chamber...

Where do you think that O2 is coming from bro?????

Because YOU KNOW AS WELL AS I DO, without O2 for that many hours, ROOT ROT....
    Show me root rot on the plant that I JUST FINISHED cropping and showing the root ball..... :p

Again, where is the O2 coming from to supply enough O2 for that many hours????
    To not only allow for HUGE growth which I've shown, but MASSIVE root system which is as white as white can be in an Ebb&Gro..

It's being released from the hydroton...

:wave:

Attached Files:

11. temp is 66-67 deg all the time.
    not sure about watts but the one i'm using for my res is the tetra 60 gal with 2 5in sticks in the res. i can switch it out with my 45 watt pump that's running my buckets right now.
    25 gallons in the res.

but i do think it has to do with overwatering. i think the og kush like less watering than the haze and cheese bc they're not affected at all. i have the flooding set to every 5 hrs and i'm going to raise it up a hour to 6 hours tonight. curious to see what happens.

12. i need to get on the c02 train....

13. Temps are perfect IMO....

Just for your reference Sterner, I'm not talking out my ass on this...
    Again, I run 45gal, at 65-68 usually GH or AN nutes, no air pumps, no H2O2, because IMHO it's not needed...

Here is my last harvest:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/hydropon...rog-ebb-gro-monster-grow-74.html#post15504161

Here is the root ball I spoke about:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/hydropon...rog-ebb-gro-monster-grow-74.html#post15506252

Again, if there was a "lack of O2" to the roots, they DAM SURE would not look like what I posted, and if I flood too much in my Ebb&Gro, I get crow foot, and again, I have fixed crow foot several times by telling people to stop fricken watering them so much... LOL

Remember the leaves are not going to fix themselves, the little ones will straighten back up, but the older larger ones will simply be like that until the end...

My advise to you, next time do NOT water them so much...
    Take it or leave it, but it's on the table if ya want it...... ;)

14. i watched your last grow from start to finish and i was so impressed. i don't post enough in other's threads, i lurk too much... lol

i appreciate any and all help from everyone. :smoke:

i know you know what your talking about and i am listening. :) that's why i'm going to knock it down an hour again. i have a feeling 5.5 hrs in between floods is going to be the magic time for the kush. hopefully the haze and cheese are ok with it as well.

next time, one strain per table. ;)

15. Ya, that helps too, cause stains are NOT all created equal.... :D

16. So you are jsut reiterating what i said. The clawing or "crowfoot" as you call it is from what? I was saying it comes from lack of o2 to the root zone. What are you trying to disprove? You keep saying to much flooding but then why do bubble buckets work when the roots are submerged in h20? Doesnt make much sense that Flood & drain would suffer from "over-watering" when DWC does not.

With proper levels of D.O. (dissolved Oxygen) in the the soup you flood with, over-watering hydroton is impossible. Hydroton can only hold so much water, doesnt matter how many times you flood. You can flood up to 5 times a day if you have correct D.O. in the soup. Unless you are flooding for 30 minute intervals, then you will be "drowning" the roots. Flood and drain is chosen over many other styles of hydro do to the large number of watering allowed in one day which in turn leads to larger faster yields.

"different stroke" :hippie:

17. #97 Trap Bunkin, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2012
    Also, I understand you saying that you have helped many growers by having them water less frequently. Well using this temporary fix will not lead you to bigger and faster yields that flood tables are known for. If you were to add an air pump to your ebb and grow and flood more often I assure you your yield will increase and flowering time shorten.

18. No, I was responding to this......

Which you're CLEARLY saying you NEED to supply air my mechanical means. because "Walmart aquarium pumps will not get the job done"..... Then ya ask about the air pump in use and how many gal the res is..... I was just saying no, you do not need to add air to flood and drain with hydroton...

I average 6-8 per plant off 25 day vegged plants, it's not going to get much better than that in Ebb&Gro dude...
    And do not think for a second I have NOT tried what you say over all my years of growing in flood and drains....

You're right, what ever works for you personally I guess....
    I just do what works for me.... ;)

19. :bolt:

i just changed the flood times to 9min flood every 6 hr's. 10, 4 and 950 just before the light goes out. no flood when it's dark.

ph is at 5.7 and ppm is around 1050, temp at 67deg. they drank like 2.2 gallons. not quite 2.5.

steady as she goes captain... :D

20. i could stand in there and watch them for hours. :D