Stereotypes and why they exist

Discussion in 'General' started by CrazEpharmacist, Apr 26, 2011.

1. I'll start.

Black people and Kool-Aid. I think they like koolaid so much is because back in the slave days flavored water was so cheap that was all they could afford. And after years upon years of drinking flavored water, the Kool-Aid stereotype was born. Anyone else agree? Don't mean to offend anyone, I just wanna understand why these stereotypes exist.

2. Well a lot of stereotypes are based off of something.

3. I've never heard of such stereotyping. Black people and cool aid?

What's the association?

How is it used?

Is it offensive?

4. Hi im a white male, i listen too nickelback, drive a honda civic and my girlfriend is cheating on me with a black male.

5. Sorry I laughed at first, but you serious man?

Damn... I don't know what to say...

6. Grape soda and KFC Chicken!

7. #7 GGrass, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2011
    Chinese and their legendary ping-pong skill...

Jews and their economic skills.

Irish and their drinking habits.

Am I on the right track?

8. Nah im joking man, thats just a pretty stereotypical white male these days.

9. I'm white, I wear sperrys, oakleys, and polo's, I play golf, I'm the CEO of Marlboro cigarettes, I can't rap, and I'm good at math.

10. BTW all arabs are terrorists.

11. yeah but the whole point of this thread was to find out why those stereotypes exist. you guys are just listing a bunch of them.

12. Oh... I get the flow....

:D

All whites are good tippers. Well, almost all of you are anyway.

But some of you are real cheap.

13. Oh... I get it...

So first we say a stereotype, and then we say why we think it exist...

Hm. Just like the title says...

14. All Cubans took a raft to America....anyone with little knowledge of Cuban history knows this isn't true althought a lot of Cubans do not all of them.

15. Blacks-lazy, crack dealers
    Jews-love money
    Mexican-dirty,poor,kill people
    Asian-uptight,good at ping pong
    White-rednecks.

Sums it up for ya. Im white, and nickleback is fucking terrible

16. Most stereotypes are one of many outcomes of systematized racism.

It's probably hard to pinpoint this "Kool-Aid" stereotype you speak of, but if you dig deep enough into the past, you can articulate almost all black stereotypes with white European imperialism and the values of that time which have clearly carried over into the present day.

And to the poster above me, you sound like a smart dude. I'm guessing you're a redneck then.

17. Most stereo types are there becuase they are true to some degree, or have been shown to be true by some percentage of whatever the population being stereo typed is.

18. I would disagree.

One 'truth' about stereotypes is that the people implying that stereotypes are present, who point instances out when a perceived example is realized, who occasionally (or frequently) act on them (verbally, physically, etc.) and who are making these claims to 'truth', are saying a lot more about themselves than the actual subject of the stereotypes.

19. I don't necessarily disagree with you, :smoke:. But than how did those stereo types become present at all, it's not like they just put all the worlds stereo types on a wheel and had each race spin it to see what they got. Besides not all stereo types are bad, Jewish people are good at buisness and economic endeavors. But they all come from witnessing that stereo type happen. Most black people as far as I can determine actually do enjoy fried chicken and colored flavored water drinks. A lot of southern trashy white people have slept with members of their own family, and Asians are good at math this is all of course just based on my own experiences in life.

20. I've always thought that perhaps the extra oils in black peoples skin makes it harder for them to swim and thats why they flail around in panic and drown.

Just an idea, i havent even done so much research as to see if black people's skin is more oily, but they do leave really long grease marks on windows and shit, i noticed that as a kid in school.

EDIT: this post sounds really racist. I was just baked and goin with the flow here.