Stereo system help!

Discussion in 'The Musician in U' started by Andy2552, Jun 8, 2012.

1. So I am borrowing my dads stereo sort of and its nice but a little old. Still sounds good though! For a party scene though, I was wondering if I could really blow out the speakers with too much bass if I don't have them blasting? What's a safe level to have great sounding music? There are two decent speakers (Polk audio) and the stereo is a Yamaha natural sound
    Stereo receiver RX-530... Not too sure what it means. But anyway there are two channels A and B and both have a + and - slot for open copper wires from the speakers. Could I add speakers cheaply to make the system louder so I dot have to blow the two speakers I have now? Haha I don't really know anything about stereos So I figured this would be the place to find out. :) I appreciate any help if possible

2. You would be more likely to blow speakers by too little power, rather than too much, because overdriven amps create distortion that destroys speakers. The Yamaha reciever should be able to handle the Polk speakers, unless they're huge (which I doubt). Just don't crank it much past about 2:00 and it should be fine. If it has surround-sound speaker capability, you can add a pair of smaller speakers to that section - but don't hook up 4 speakers to the front/main amp.

3. [quote name='"garrison68"']You would be more likely to blow speakers by too little power, rather than too much, because overdriven amps create distortion that destroys speakers. The Yamaha reciever should be able to handle the Polk speakers, unless they're huge (which I doubt). Just don't crank it much past about 2:00 and it should be fine. If it has surround-sound speaker capability, you can add a pair of smaller speakers to that section - but don't hook up 4 speakers to the front/main amp.[/quote]

How could I add two more big speakers? Do i have to buy another Yamaha stereo? (or any stereo) The Polk I think came with my dads set up he's been using those two for past 10 years I know. I hooked them up and they're working fine I just wanna make it louder/bigger

4. You can add two more speakers to the "B" terminals and run four.

The Yamaha is a good reciever and the Polks are good speakers. Typically what blows in a speaker is the tweeter as it has the finest wingdings.

Make sure your "loudness" function is on. This will give you more bass which will make the speakers have a bigger sound.

5. Best of luck with your system.

A little something I put together recently.
    Yamaha receiver and Technics speakers: pre-1980
    and a gently used Technics turntable. :)

[​IMG][/IMG]