Stepping down voltage for a computer fan?

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by 3Deez, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    Just wondering if any electrical savvy types here can tell me how to step down the voltage coming from my wall in order to power a computer fan? I have a box that is producing too much heat right now for my plants. At least I think that it might be. The plants have been in the box for almost a week and appear to be doing good but the temp is constant 100 degrees with 60-70% humidity even though I have a regular small fan inside the box.

I tried to wire a computer fan that I spliced into a regular extension cord and as soon as I plugged it in, it got smoked!:eek: Is there a way that I can do this and not smke anymore fans? I was going to place two exhaust fans over two 4" holes that I made in the box.

Do I even need to be worried? Even though the plants look good, I worry about fungi and other pests coming into the box soon. Thanks for any advise!;)

2. Loki, you are a life saver! Thanks! I dont have a radio shack where I am but I am sure that I can find an adapter out here somewhere!