Stephen King thread

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by Original Tonika, Mar 29, 2018.

1. I just drove by this sign in Auburn, Maine and had to snap a pic :)

E13A6915-4BDC-48A1-B05B-74F0E86000D5.jpeg

J

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Very cool!

J

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. We have one out here, I'll have to grab a pic to post here as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. @jerry111165 I have wanted to know for a while now (Ever since I read It) If Derry is a real city in Maine?
    That would be amazing.

~Toni~

6. #26 jerry111165, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Derry (Stephen King) - Wikipedia

Edit - so Derry is not a real place; but is, I believe, made up to replicate the town he lives in these days - Bangor, ME.

It’s actually used in a number of his works - maybe a dozen of his books refer to it.

J

7. #27 Original Tonika, Apr 15, 2018 at 6:41 PM
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018 at 6:49 PM

Oh lol thnx for the info man :)

I am almost done with Salems Lot.

~Toni~

• Like Like x 1
  8. Good book. Oldie but goodie for sure.

J

9. Yea man its one of the coolest Vampire stories I have read. My husband got me one of his books called Dream Catcher to read next.

~Toni~

10. I like his early stuff. He wrote 6 books under the name Richard Bachman and those are my favorites. The Long walk is the first book of his that I read. The first book he had published was Carrie but the first book he completed was the long walk. Also under that name he wrote "Rage" and "Roadwork." I can't recall the others at the moment but those are my favorites.

I've also read The Stand, Cell, Cujo, Dark Tower series, The Dead Zone, Misery, Green Mile, and his non-fiction On Writing. Mind you, the first book of his that I read was back in January, haha. I find a writer I like and I generally read everything I can of theirs.

I don't always like everything he writes and sometimes things are long and drawn out, but one thing you can count on is that it'll be well written, always. And if you've read bad writers, no matter what they're talking about, it's painful to keep reading.

Anyway, glad there's other high readers out there. My wife always asks how I read high but I love it. Smoke a bowl and get lost in a book. That's good shit.

• Winner Winner x 1

11. I would say you should read Fire Starter it is awesome lbvs.

~Toni~

12. I'm reading Salems Lot now, I'm not into vampire shit but it's not bad. If you like gruesome read Cell.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Re-reading The Stand for probably the 5th time.

Another great King novel.

So @Original Tonika - you like a good Vampire book?

J

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. I also met Steven King. I used to go hunting up there and used to go to Lovell for breakfast. He was in there having breakfast. I waved hello and he asked how the hunt was and I introduced myself. After some small talk, my breakfast arrived and he let me be to enjoy my vittles. I knew who he was but he was the one to initiate. Probably something he isn't used to. But back to topic. I'm not much of a reader but have read It and Cujo. But they took me about a year to get through. So not much enjoyment in that. But I also have a collection of his short stories titled Nightmares and Dreamscapes. I liked that better because I could read a story over a couple nights and could start another story a month later if I wanted.

• Like Like x 1

15. The Stand is amazing lol

Yea I do if it is scary vampires.

~Toni~

16. Not horror fan but I'd recommend The Shining and Dream Catcher.

"Hey baby, I hear the blues a-callin'
    Tossed salad and scrambled eggs.."

• Friendly Friendly x 1

17. Thnx man Dream Catcher is the next one I am going to read. My husband just bought it for me other day.

~Toni~

18. Not to get off topic but have you seen Altered Carbon on Netflix? Realllllllly good, you might enjoy that.

"Hey baby, I hear the blues a-callin'
    Tossed salad and scrambled eggs.."

• Informative Informative x 1

19. No I have not seen it lol. What is that about? Been looking for good shows to watch tho so maybe I will check it out thnx.

~Toni~

20. I just finished Alerted Carbon today and it is good. I do have some questions though but I won't ask here and spoil it. Netflix has really upped their game.

Grasscity Deals Near You