Stephen King thread

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by Dizzy, Mar 29, 2018.

1. #1 Dizzy, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    I am some what new to his Books. I have only read a few of them The Stand, Fire Starter, Desperation, and IT and now I am about halfway through Salems Lot. My dad first gave me The Stand a while back and I liked it a lot. That was my first story by him. I was just wondering if anyone else on GC likes his stories and if they want to recommend any for me when i'm done with the one i'm on r/n. I love scary stories lol.

~Toni~

• Like Like x 2
  2. I haven't read any of his books in years but in my teens I read Pet Sematery, Cujo, Thinner, Cycle of the Werewolf, The Langoliers...I think that's all.

I recently saw the movie Gerald's Game, which I thought was very good. Turns out that's based on King's book by the same name.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. I read the early stuff

but got very tired of reading 100-200 pages

only to have the current hero killed of ...

only to repeat in the next chaptor (IT for example)

many clones of King abound too....very tiring

hence I'm into sci Fi

• Like Like x 1
  4. #4 Dizzy, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    Thnx for the reply. I have heard that Pet Sematary is messed up lol maybe I will check that one next.

~Toni~

What do you mean? No offense you just kind of confused me lol.

~Toni~

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ya Pet Sematary is messed up, some of the visuals from the book have definitely stuck with me.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. The Stand is my favorite.

Everybody raves about the Gunslinger series,
    so you might want to check them out.

The first book of King's that I read was Carrie.
    Loved it. Also look for his short story collections.
    Night Shift and Skeleton Crew are two good ones.
    A lot of his earlier stuff is awesome.

Different Seasons in a collection of Novellas that
    includes The Body, which the movie Stand By Me
    is based on.

7. Wow lol I didn't know he had short story collections.

I think I will get Night shift and Skeleton crew next.

~Toni~

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 Dizzy, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    So Far my favorite one was Fire Starter.

It would be so amazing to have a special power like that!!

Desperation was cool to tho. I liked it a lot.

IT was kind of confusing for me anyways. The Stand was freaky (especially Randall Flagg) and the idea that people might keep super diseases around that could some how escape. :eek2:

~Toni~

9. Green mile was a really good movie. I use to read him along time ago he also has other names that he writes under

• Like Like x 1
  10. What do you mean? Green Mile what is that about? idk there were movies as well!!

~Toni~

11. He wrote green mile then they made a movie out of it.

12. #13 Dizzy, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  13. Yeah he’s kinda a “big deal” lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. He lives up here in Maine, Toni. I’ve been reading his works for many years.

Some years back I was driving by his house with my daughter. At the entrance to his driveway he’s got the coolest wrought iron gate custom made to look like spider webs. Really neat.

Not sure what I was thinking - like a fan, I guess? Lol - I said “hey let’s just go and see if we can say hi”. I made it up onto his front porch and was going to knock - I could hear him and Tabitha talking inside - when I noticed a small little placard next to the door that said “Please respect our privacy” or something like that. Of course they were right and I was silly and wrong for even attempting to meet him. I think I was hoping he’d come to the door and invite us in and we’d sit and have coffee and talk about his books lol

What the hell was I thinking lol

He also has (had?) a summer house in Lovell, ME - right down the street from my wife’s brother. He was walking down the road and got hit - hard - by a van - was a pretty big deal and he was laid up for a long time.

I’ve read most of them and some multiple times.

Check out The Talisman...

J

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1

15. Lol which ones are your favorites?

Thats so cool man. Is Maine really full of super natural tings like in his stories lol ...j/k

I act silly around famous people. :geek:

~Toni~

16. I really dig The Talisman - and check out The Tommyknockers, Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption, IT, Misery, The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon was fun - those will keep you busy for a good long while -

And no big deal but check your PM. Link...

J

17. Thnx man lol I have heard Tommyknockers is a good one lol probably check it out sometime soon.

I've read IT and that one was just confusing to me. :confused:

~Toni~

18. In the Tommyknockers this younger woman who lives by herself on a big piece of property in (yep) Maine - and is out walking her dog one day and kicks a little piece of metal that’s sticking out of the ground...

I don’t want to tell you anymore, though and ruin it for you LOL

• Funny Funny x 1

19. Lol yea thnx I don't like when people ruin stories for me :p

~Toni~