Stephen Colbert stays in character at congressional hearing

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Iceni Toker, Sep 27, 2010.

1. This Colbert issue shows the propagandistic tendencies of today's media. It's manufactured controversy. I'm sure you could find thousands of instances where tax payer money was wasted on ridiculous shit, but of course, the only people who talk about those wastes of tax payer dollars are principled people. In the case of Colbert, it lends light to a Neo-Conservative narrative that the left is evil and they waste money, etc.

2. I disagree. I think he was poking fun at particular talking points. Making fun of certain talking points used by some in the opposition is not the same thing as claiming that all of the opposition uses those talking points.

It is only funny if you can see some humor in the issue. I do not think that all that oppose illegal immigration are racists and I found it amusing....so I guess that shoots your theory out of the water.

Now you are stretching.

3. Hannity and O'Riley are tools. They are Neo-Cons. Are you a Neo-Con Dronetek?

4. Hey now! Arent we supposed to respect everyones cultures?

5. yes the 5 minutes that they could have been possibly doing something useful with my money. Are you telling me that a taxpayer shouldn't be upset about time being wasted with nonsense like this?

this is congress.. not a comedy central TV show... why are they allowing this to go on?

6. The deficit can take the hit. See, thats the problem. Its people who think like that who keep growing our debt cause,"IT can handle it." NO IT CAN NOT

7. Deficit =/= National Debt.

The real problem is the DEBT, the deficit is relative.

8. glad you mentioned that.. i was gonna edit my post.

LOL at that statement "the deficit can take the hit" when will we stop saying that?

9. Haha. yea, i tried to correct myself at the end without erasing everything. I think we all know we are talking about the debt

10. As far as I know Congressmen aren't paid by the hour. Why don't you do the math and send Colbert the bill for your part of the money that was "wasted".

Whether or not it was nonsense is relative. It did draw attention to the issue and it was clearly stated that was the reason for the invite.

Give me a break! It was a joke. Oops....my bad. I forgot that jokes are not acceptable when they make take attention away from the angry rhetoric for a moment or two. Thanks for the reminder. :rolleyes:

11. Drew attention to the problem? Do you really think there is someone out there who hasnt heard about the illegal immigration problem already?

If i sent Colbert a bill he would throw it away. What good would that do?

What was the joke? I think we all missed it? Maybe I should go to guantanamo and make jokes about the people locked up...Just for a moment or 2 though :rolleyes:

12. You're right, they're paid a salary to do their job.. not to listen to celebrities crack jokes.

Yeah, you're right, Colbert is necessary to draw attention to the issue :rolleyes:

He isn't.

I didn't catch any angry rhetoric. Just conversation. No, jokes don't really have a place in debate imo. But each person has their own way of debating things, and if yours is cracking a joke or two, so be it.

13. If colbert wants to draw attention, then he should take out ad space on his TV show and discus it.

of course congressmen aren't paid by the hour.. but when something like this wastes their time.. it wastes our time as well. There has to be more serious things that congress could be talking about instead of holding a comedy show on the floor no?

I really can't beleive that and US taxpayer would welcome some comedian doing schtick on the floor of congress.
    We pay these people to get shit done.. not to entertain themselves. They can do that during one of their many vacations/recesses.

What if Dennis Miller (who i HATE btw) started doing his act on the floor of congress about repealing this Obamacare (since we need attention drawn to that as well). Would that be cool with you?

14. Dennis Miller is one of my favorites but I would prefer hearing Elmo testify as to why Katy Perry cant wear a low cut top on Sesame Street. This is a violation of her 1st Amendment right to freedom of expression.

15. yes.. since we need to draw attention to the issue, why not?

maybe we can do puppet shows for congress or something..

16. Yes, but it only to colbert fans who were not already paying attention to it.

The Illegal immigration issue does not need "Attention," it needs Action.

Attention isn't worth dick. Using colbert to bring "attention" to an already widespread issue is just like how the Susan G Komen foundation spends the majority of its money on "awareness"(along with salaries, but thats a different thread) Its the same in the rexpect that it does not ACTUALLY do anything.

Why are Dems, and Leftist, so light hearted in the face of calamity? Why the hell would people think its cool for there to be a "light hearted" Break in the serious business that is running this country?

If you tried this light hearted mirth strategy of "spreading the word" in a court somewhere, you would be fucked.

17. interesting convo

i personally think it was stupid

18. i imagine a future with pop culture (american idol, etc.) integrated into congress in some capacity

19. OMG, please hold off on giving the douches who run our country any ideas!!!

20. Some of you are really amazing. All mad about jokes in congress... Ah the irony.

I'm curious... What would you guys rather have that time slot filled with?