Step by step: Making your own hemp rope

Discussion in 'General' started by MidwestPothead, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Hi to all the blades out there in the city :wave:

Here is a simple guide on making your own hemp rope....basically I got tired of spending money on small sections of rope at smoke shops. Here we go:

[​IMG]

As far as supplies are concerned all your need is:

1) Spool of hemp rope
    2) Block of bees wax
    3) Pair of scissors
    4) Some sort of microwave friendly container

Start by cutting of chunks of the bees wax and place them into your microwavable container. Once this is done you can put the container in the microwave until the wax has all completely melted (it WILL be hot)

[​IMG]

Next, you want to prepare the sections of hemp rope that will be dumped into the hot wax. As far as length it is completely up to you but I like to wrap the rope around the width of my hand 6 or 7 times.

[​IMG]

Take the hemp rope and submerge it into the wax....its ok to stack the separate rolls on top of each other.

[​IMG]

In the next step it helps to have some sort of lid for your container ( can't tell you how much hot wax hurts when you spill it on your hands) :p

[​IMG]

Shake or swirl the jar to fully coat them in the wax

[​IMG]

Take the hemp rope out of the jar (I use a fork).... then let it dry on a paper towel for a few minutes.

[​IMG]

Once the wax has dried it helps the rope burn a lot better if your run the extra wax of with your fingers.

[​IMG]

Now all you have to do is wrap it around a lighter and your good to go

Only thing left to do is light up some ganja and enjoy! :bongin:

[​IMG]

Marijuana without the taste of butane is amazing...helps my bong compete with the taste of a vape. As well as not having to inhale butane gas for the rest of my life.

Peace :smoke:

2. awesome tutorial man, can't wait to try it out

3. where can i purchase hemp rope and bees wax?

4. Isn't this called hemp wick?

5. Nice man, now where do we find the goods? Maybe a health food store for the wax.

6. Thanks bro Im glad ya like it:D

Both can be bought from walmart...However, you might have to go to an arts and crafts type store to get the block of bees wax (hobby lobby)

Ya know man Im not quite sure...Im sure it goes by both names cause it basically is a wick...

Like I said before your walmart should have the hemp rope for sure (at my store its with the tie dye stuff/ near where you can buy fabric).. hope you don't have to much trouble finding the wax...

7. oh thats great. Thanks

I've been wishing for alternative to lighter and matches.

im guessing it burns super slow? Does it produce heavy smoke from the wick?

8. Yeah it burns nice and slow it kinda takes a couple tries to get a hang of the technique. And you get no more smoke then you would from a candle once you blow it out if that helps.

Couple pointers for trying it for the first time:

1) Light the rope before you put your mouth to the bong etc (this sounds like a no brainer but when your high people tend to do silly things)

2)Hold the string so the flame is slightly vertical (running up the rope) this helps so you can get good hits/ so when you go to take the hit you don't pull the flame out...relighting the rope 5x in a row is a pain (trust me :p)

3) Once you've got a good hit going shake the flame out with a flick of your wrist....Ive seen kids forget to do this (stoned) and burn themselves lol

4) Just have fun gettin high with whoever your getting high with bro!

Peace:smoke:

9. step by step.... OOOHHH babaaaaayyy

gunna get to ya gerrrrrrrrrlllllllllllllll

fuck yeah man..
    thanks fo r the lesson in hem p wikc so now I can have one.

10. is there a chance that the hemp could be bleached? if so stay away from that.

11. Is there a chance...yeah sure I guess there could be....However, it says nothing of the sort on the rolls that I buy...just 100% natural hemp rope is all it says...

12. Bump...If you can't tell already I'm trying to start a revolution!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrkwgTBrW78]YouTube - Revolution - The Beatles[/ame]

13. Very nice, very nice. ;)

14. this was made before. Use the search button before you make a new post >.>

15. he made a good guide so whatever. i like to put it out by spinning the rope between my fingers

16. Damn, at first, I was disappointed.

I thought this was a thread teaching how to use the stems left over from your plants and turn them into twine/rope, which I tried doing last year and made 1 small piece not longer than 2 feet so I know there has to be a more effecient way...damn.

but then I realized what it actually was and this thread is awesome.

i hate paying like 3 bucks for a piece of waxed hemp thatll last me a week of smoking or less. now I can make a whole reel for less than 10! +rep

17. whoa whoa whoa, you took stems and made a small rope? tell me the secrets

18. are you being sarcastic? I cant tell haha.

if not, its pretty simple, and I'm sure theres a better way which I'll try and figure out this year, but basically you cut the plant nearest to the root as you can, and you use your fingernail to pull up the outer green layer (the fibers) surrounding the stem all the way around the stem, (would be easier to describe with pictures) and then you pull them all down at the same time if possible so that you dont get random frays that break too soon or don't stay with the main bulk of fiber. The main problem with the fiber not getting as long as you can possibly make it is the branches, because you can't really pull the fiber off with the branches on, so you have to break them off completely so they aren't sticking out of the main stem. So usually its at the branch sections that the fiber starts to wear thin and eventually wear out to nothing, but if you can keep the patience you can kinda weave around the branches and very (very) slowly pull off the fiber around where the branch was broken off.

Once you have the desired length you just twist it up and you have a nice hemp twine. Doesnt look like the rolls you buy in the store, but you can use it as string/rope, binding things, etc. I used it for a hair tie for a while cause it was my own and I had nothin to do with it. Hell turn it into a necklace/bracelet/anklet or something.

if you can concentrate long enough and have the patience, you can go for longer and make a longer twine. The one I made from last year is still in my drawer and is strong as a motherfucker, it didnt break even when my brother grabbed one side and me the other and we both pulled on it as hard as we could. (made from 1 plant).

good luck:smoke: