*Step by Step* Light Proof Mounting of an Axial/Box/PC Fan

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Rumpleforeskin, Jul 31, 2006.

1. No it will make it worse. If the fan's CFM is less then the exhaust then it will be a restriction and not do you any good. Best bet is to add another vent hole. Intakes fans are not worth the trouble and seldom help.

2. Hey man i just want to say i appreciate the hek out of you! I am a legal grower and soon i will start my first grow (closet Approx. 5' high,2'wide and 12'deep)in about a month and i really need to produce the best quality and largest yield possible. I will be using various strains of top quality seed with soil medium.My concern is obviously the space or lack of it.
    Can i achieve my goal in this limited space ? At some point soon when i am "grounded"their will be some visuals but as for now i think i can benefit tremendously from your mentoring

O WISE ONE:confused_2:

P.S. My whole set up i could use some tips From lights to ferts to cureing = 7
    Thanks again

3. #63 Rumpleforeskin, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2009

I don't see why you can't grow what you need in a space like that. remember, this type of fan is only good for ventilating cool light sources.

4. would it be better to push air through the pipe or pull air through the pipe. it seems like if you mounted the fan end to the box you would still have the light proof, but the fan would have to pull air through the pvc and drain. i have a plastic utitly storage box, and it would be more secure to mount the fans and drains to the back of the box instead of the pvc alone.

i wonder how this would effect the cfms

5. for my box i used a 500 mili amp transformer for x2 80 mm pc fans. they work great! (one for exhaust and one for intake)

check out my first grow thread (my sig)

6. Rumple! I'm a huge fan! (no pun intended, as for my question)

I have a quick question for you. I figured up my fan needs and I decided i needed around 200 CFM of fan power. Now, would it be fine to buy 2 100-ish CFM fans? does it add up like that? Thanks!

7. It will as long as you are not pushing it through ducting.

8. How did you mount your PVC pipe thru the wall? And is there ducting on the otherside? I'm trying to do it as clean as yours

9. Lots of ways to do this. It depends on how thick your wall is.
    For a thick wall of more then 2", just cut a piece of 4" PVC pipe about 2" longer then the thickness of your wall. Drill your wall so your pipe fits snug to the hole. Place your pipe through the wall, allowing an inch or so to hang out on each side. Glue an elbow on to each side, pushing the elbows against the wall while the glue dries. Calk or silicone any gaps.

For a thin wall made of wood. Drill your hole so the small end of a 4" male adapter (no threads) fits through snug. Stick the male adapter through the wall and glue an elbow onto the other side. Calk any gaps.
    Some pictures below might help explain it better:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or like this:
    [​IMG]

10. is there any way at all besides this method? i dont have alot of room inside my grow box so that might take up too much space inside. Any advice??

11. Rumple! You are one of the 'Good guys'.

Does your patience know no bounds?

I seem to have run out of +Reps for you. Prolly cause I keep giving it to ya! LOL

Thanks for the lightproofing suggestions. I will see if I can use this to my advantage.

12. you also can do a mod to a computer power supply like this one
    modtown - article - Powering an ATX PSU Without a Motherboard - if it ain't broke - mod it! I actually cut the wires and hard wired them. I use them to run my Halloween led lights. Run cool and strong never had a problem before.

13. once again Mr. Rumple your diy kicks ass great job man:hello::hello::hello:
    it really is a small, world talking about flanges at my local HD I was buying a light switch when I saw a round electrical box cover i just started laughing ... and bought one lol we'll see how well it work btw thanks again Rump for the diy truly fist class all the way. :hello::hello::hello::hello:

:D

14. Would it be possible to connect a second grate to the other side of the fan and use larger bolts to exhaust? That way you could connect the other grate to a carbon filter and from there to your ducting?

15. yep... or you could just use metal flanges that are the same size as your pvc piping

get creative

16. One more question. What size fans are those? Are they 80, 120, or 140mm computer fans?

17. I am about to start my first grow but before I start I still have to finish this part of the build. I am using a cabinet 2x1.5x5ft and first bought an 6"inline and holy cow it was way too big and loud. I am trying this layout that is pretty sweet, Respect Rumple, but id like to use my leftover xbox fans that I salvaged but they are more rectangular than square. I wont ask how wire them...lol...but do u have any ideas in how I could retro fit them to work with ur set up. I have two or three ofthese fans but don't know how they compare to cpu fans like ur 80mm. Any ideas or thoughts would be helpful. Txs.

18. You can also buy axial fans that run off AC pretty cheap at an electronic component store. You just have to cut apart a cheap extension cord and solder the leads to it.

19. #79 lowd, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012
    Man, I love this stuff. Thanks again Rump. I know I'm late to the party, wow that's typical for a stoner thread comment lol. Anyway, this stuff saves so much time and trial and error and lets not forget cash. Your time spent will not go in vain you have helped out so many people including myself. I really appreciate it. The damn people that cant read a few posts up to answer there own questions seriously bugs me though. Not to the point of rage but like face palm type gesture. I have an idea for your next d.i.y. Its Rumps Bubble Bucket Pop Up Book: The cover should be 3 bubble buckets, lined up, painted to look like the "short bus". No offense to short bus riders, that actually read the thread but you know what I mean.

20. Very good. Love the humor.