*Step by Step* Light Proof Mounting of an Axial/Box/PC Fan

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Rumpleforeskin, Jul 31, 2006.

1. just dound it!!! thx

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rumple- im utilizing your light trap idea, but the only thing i have to ask is how you use the male adapter to go through your wall. i have yet to figure out an idea on how to make that work. i thought about using a nut, but i cant find any that size

3. Lots of ways to do this. It depends on how thick your wall is.
    For a thick wall of more then 2", just cut a piece of 4" PVC pipe about 2" longer then the thickness of your wall. Drill your wall so your pipe fits snug to the hole. Place your pipe through the wall, allowing an inch or so to hang out on each side. Glue an elbow on to each side, pushing the elbows against the wall while the glue dries. Calk or silicone any gaps.

For a thin wall made of wood. Drill your hole so the small end of a 4" male adapter (no threads) fits through snug. Stick the male adapter through the wall and glue an elbow onto the other side. Calk any gaps.
    Some pictures below might help explain it better:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or like this:
    [​IMG]

4. Rumple that idea really "Sucks"
    ++Rep sir...love adding things to the DIY list ;)

5. #45 kushman2020, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2009
    Rumple- A penny for your thoughts:

i utilized your light proof idea with the fans mounted, slightly altered because i could not find the grates. my temps are in the 80s, and i cant get them back down, but my sprouts seem to be loving it for some reason. (White widow). they are all green and so far, look good, but thats beside the point.

my question to you is this: if i were to take my 90 degree exhaust elbow, and fill it with activated carbon (after putting in some screens to prevent it from falling out, would this, in essence, create a working carbon filter?

EDIT: the fan is mounted on the elbow, pushing air out of the box and through it, and the elbow simply leads straight out the back of the box

6. Sorry, them fans just can't pump air against any resistance. It will just spinn. You might need to get a small inline fan that can handle the job. PC fans have very limited use.

7. it definitely does something, but it is very little. how much would an inline run me you think? and i need to keep it stealth, noise included

8. tied mines up i was like holy shit how fast ... then i was like o man it smells like smoke(burnt plastic) bleh :smoking::smoke:

9. pretty much to help intake .... or move air around i have so many of them and played around and ended up buying a 4" inline with carbone filter ... problem now is it doesnt fit in my cabinet ... so im still wondering if i should build another bigger one so i can have it pull through the CFilter instead of pushing through it on the outside.
    im really using it more as exast than anything but i dunno dont know much about ventilation ... can anyone point me to a l33t thread or enlighten me cause right now im in the 78 - 90's hit 104f yesterday leaves are starting to like curl up ...
    overwatering?

10. if you're hitting 104, i dont think leaf curl is going to be attributed to overwatering :smoking:

11. well ... even tho i hit 104 last week my plant was still green until i spraid her with 80%water / 20% proxide and 2 drops of neem...

that would of done it .. i also have fungus gnats .. so yea could be a couple of things:confused_2:

12. oh my, thank you soooo much, needed this bad..

13. #53 Giggity Goo, May 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2009
  14. Sorry if this is a really stupid noob question, but to make an exhaust is it just exactly the same as intake but with the fan turned round the other way?

If so would it be better to have the fan & elbow on the grow room side or the other side of the wall? Also while trying to find out have seen people putting dryer sheets inside to act as a sort of filter - is this an idea or will it just make my weed taste horrible?

Cheers for the guide - looks so simple I think even I will be able to follow it.

15. I use my wifes stockings for a filter. You are right about the intake and exhaust fans direction.

16. #56 KeyserSuzi, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2009
    Cheers for this guide mate - am finished and am absolutely buzzin with my fans - can't wait to take pics of em. They're cheapy 80mm pc fans I got from pc world for a fiver each, unfortunately stupid B&Q/Wickes do not sell small black plastic pvc drain covers. In place of a flange to join the fan to the elbow bend pipe I ended up fashioning little boxes out of double layers of cardboard box - each bit re-enforced with lots of red electrical then silver duct tape then taped together (all painted black inside). They're fairly sturdy & the elbow fits snugly into the hole in the cardboard, doesn't need siliconed so can be taken out/adjusted if necessary (is siliconed into the wardrobe wall, fans are taped & siliconed into the box flange holder things. I powered em with mobile phone chargers - a 12v as recommended and a 7v (all I could find) which seems to be workin fine. Was much easier to wire em up than I thought it was gonna be, actually. I then twisted the intake so it is blowing cold air into the back of my 9" desk fan, which is blowing across the plants.

Awesome guide and u really saved the day as I nearly killed my girls - its now day 5 for me, but on day 3 I had to move em off the windowsill & put em in the big pots under my 400w hps as the roots were coming thru the bottom of the little peat pots, but temps were up to 39c! I think the cheapy thermometer I got was over exaggerating things a bit though. Since the mods temps are down to 31c. I think I've done much better than I thought I would and am well proud of myself. Thank u again - will rep u into oblivion when am allowed 2 again. Suzi x

17. I can't wait to see um. I am not sure what part of my idea you used though. Seems like you came up with your own invention/version. I have lots of room for new ideas. Dig folks who can think outside the box.

18. #58 KeyserSuzi, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2009
    I've never done anything like this before, especially mostly by myself, and have really enjoyed it. I sorta based the whole thing off ur guide, just with little boxes in place of the drain flange thing. From readin this I went from jus holdin a fan lookin at my wardrobe sadly to havin a workin vent system. Ur a star mate :)

Here's the full tale of my grow so far - sadly sans pics for another week:

http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute...-grow-do-i-really-need-proper-fan-set-up.html

• Like Like x 1
  19. Excellent guide, I've been wondering about this...

• Like Like x 1
  20. another awesome how to! i am thinking of making one to assist in intake air for my tent.

my tent has one 4 inch can fan as the exhaust (through a can filter 9000) and i have 2 x 4 inch pvc elbow intakes. but when the can fan is on, the tent is sucked in HARD. mega negative, pressure. probably too much. so i need to increase my incoming air, would this help?

• Like Like x 1