Stem damage.. Help please!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Xeno321, Feb 6, 2013.

1. First off hi everyone, I have really enjoyed silently trolling the shit out of this forum and soaking up all the knowledge! My second oldest N.L. Auto flower female got knocked over for a second by my dog when she was a 3" seedling and even though she lived the stem has never fully healed.. Now it is really starting to affect the lower leaves (discoloring).. I am transplanting the 4 healthy girls out of the aerogarden (I love it for starting seeds!) and into a 7 bucket aeroponics system this weekend. I was going to cut the stem just above the damage and dip it in rooting solution and hope for the best.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Hmmm, looks like a tricky situation you got there.
    Seems like it made it through the worst already. I think cutting it at that size to re-root would be quite a difficult task. It has already developed a fair amount of leaves, You'd have to remove most lower leaves and cut back the tops a bit.
    Looks pretty healthy thou, I'd go off of how the new growth looks.

How old is the plant? (and age in relation to it being knocked over?)

3. She is just over 4 weeks old, she was a little over a week when the accident occurred. I topped her and the largest female last Friday and while the new growth is not as fast as the big female she is growing out two new main branches at the top, but the bottom leaves show signs of lack of nutrients and are starting to discolor.. The new growth on top is bright and green though. I was hoping it would heal itself.. So odd you can see the stem looks healthy below and above the damage, should I trim the lower branches and wait it out before trying rooting or transplanting to the larger system? I'm leaning towards letting her sort it out herself.

4. put rooting mix on the damaged part and cover it with soil, this should help strengthen it

5. So you think rooting solution on the damage?? Can't cover with soil going aeroponics..

6. yeah if you can get it to root in that area then it should strengthen try wrapping it in rice paper or cut a natural seedling pot and wrap around it tight after putting the root tone on it

7. once the roots break free you should be good if you can get them ito your grow mediuam, but dont cut the plant and then try to root it as the stress will kill it

8. Ya, I'd wait it out. As long as your new growth looks healthy, I wouldn't worry about the bottom leaves. Trim them off, and let the rest of the plant live happily :)

9. keep us posted on how it does.........

10. Ok I trimmed off the lower leaves lastnight, tonight I'm going to dilute some rooting solution and dab it around the damaged area. So rice paper wrapped around the area after? Ill goto the grocery store and get some, a little weary of transplanting it with the others this weekend.. I think I'll leave her be for a while.. What do you guys think? It will be under better light and top drip ring till the roots drop enough through the basket.. The increased quality of light and nutrients could really help, then again the transplant could shock and kill her...

11. Do they sell rice paper at grocery stores?

12. if ya cant get rice paper get a small organic planter that allows the roots to grow thru and you can plant the whole pot and cut a 3" strip off of it and wet it and wrap this around the area w/ root tone.........DO NOT TRANSPLANT IT!!!!!!!!!

13. Got it. I saw those organic starter pots at lowes yesterday. :) has anyone ever had legal issues posting here... I want to start a grow thread but I am still hesitant putting detailed info on the Internet.. :-/ what do you guys do for cooling? New hood is enclosed tube with 600watt digital ballast 600w hortilux hps booster fan connected right to the inlet side, vented out of the tent connected to carbon filter. I ran it yesterday without the regular fan going and the temp went up to 78! That just seems crazy..

14. I even put the ballast outside the tent.. Hopefully it doesn't get that hot with the box fan pushing air out of the tent.. I have to test it again, the inline booster fan is 250cfm for a Mylar 4x5 tent.. Intake inside the tent does the carbon filter limit the venting of hot air that much?

15. 78 is a good temp as long as your humidity is up, i keep mine between 75-83, no matter what remember thay r tropical plants so some heat is good as long as you dont go above 85 u should be fine just keep your humidity good

16. The digital thermometer I have in the room has a humidity monitor as well, as far as % do you have a ball park of where it should be? I just picked up a 6" vent and screen to cover it.. I was going to cut into the ceiling (the attic is above) and put another booster fan on the vent to blow cool air from the attic directly down in the room.. But based on what you said it might drop the temp. Too much. O well I suppose if I have the stuff it's always an option.

17. I try to keep my humidity between 50 and 65 %

18. Damn! I think the highest I got yesterday was 21%! I guess it's humidifier time.

19. just dont let it get above 65% or you may run into mold problems, 50 to 55 would be ideal

20. Autos lives arnt long enough for things like cloning, topping or fimming. Just the nature of the beast. Life span is too short.