Stem & Branch Strength

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by mjbzlytbeer, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Hey all! I have a question for some of you previous growers. A buddy of mine has a couple plants going for his first hydro-grow. They are looking really good, but I noticed that when I was over there that the stems & branches are all pretty soft still. Will the stems and branches become more woody after he starts flowering, or will he have to support all of the branches somehow in order to support the weight of the buds (once they come in)? Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

2. Does he have a fan blowing on them? The movement from the breeze will strengthen them right up.

3. Yes, he does. The fan is not blowing directly on them, but enough to move the tops of the plants a bit. I bent one of the plants over a bit with my hand, and a couple of days later, it was still somewhat bent. They are thick, but just very soft.

4. In a hydroponic environment, silica supplements can add strength and sturdiness to plant tissue. There is evidence that silica rocks in place of Hydroton enhances plant health and strength.

Silica is also an important micro-nutrient on soil grows.