Stealthy Temperature Control Methods?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by IrishPirate, Nov 19, 2016.

1. #1 IrishPirate, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    I've been researching a lot in an attempt to get ready to start my first grow. However, ventilation has kind of been a problem. I'm not sure how much of a good idea it would be for me to lead ducting from a grow tent to a window or anything of that nature (however, if that truly is the only option, I suppose I'll try to work with that).

So, I've come across a temperature control strategy that I think might be able to keep the grow tent in the right conditions without the need for much , if any, exterior ducting.

Is it feasible to simply put a portable AC unit, assuming it is powerful enough, in the tent with thermostat based controls such that it only blows air when the room needs to be cooled?

If so, would it be loud?

If not, do you know of any better ideas?

2. Depending on where you are, you may be able to use the cool winter air to supply your intake.

3. ducting out of window would be alot cheaper than a portable A/C. portable A/C do generate heat, its best to duct the heat out of you grow space. I have 14,000 btu, it works great for those hot ass summer days, its a litter louder than my oscillating fan.

4. AC units are quite noisy and also use a huge amount of electricity. These units need to be exhaust ducted somewhere out of your grow area so why not just exhaust room air out? I have 14000 btu units in each of my bud rooms but rarely use them. I have cool tube reflectors to keep the light heat down and draw from and exhaust room air outside. In the winter I open ducts on the lights to warm the rooms and in the summer I run the lights at night.

5. Good point! Energy consumption is also a big factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. Portable AC units are not cheap but can be found for a good price on craigs list or other used areas. Another factor is these units have an internal water trap inside them that can fill up and overflow. When they overflow its a mess because you now have a leak in this area you were not expecting, I speak from experience. As posted earlier, they also require exhaust to the outside. This can be an issue since the AC blowers are not powerful enough to push through a filter (unless I am mistaken, I've not tried out of fear of distorying the AC blower) so the exhaust will be raw air from the room. I have seen a case where a person had the AC in a tent and the exhaust going to a large cardbord box which had a can fitler inside it and then the exhaust from the box was ported outside the room as it was clean. Lots of space wasted and a real headache. Another option viewed was to port the raw exhaust into the attic and then the person had an Ozone generator in the attic. Risky in my mind due to possible Ozone leak into house where people live? Not sure but seems like a lot of risk. As for cooling the units work great but they are not a one stop answer. More planning required than initially seems.