Stealth speaker vertical scrog

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Iforgotmyname1, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Aim: micro grow, keeping it as super stealth as possible, no sounds smell and light leaks, maximise yeild.. I will be LST'ing at first, until its big enough for a vertical scrog.. Im hoping for an oz, but anything from .5oz would be awesome :hello: i dont smoke, but looove growing

Soil - biobizz light mix
    Strain - connie chung dna genetics
    125wat cfl envirolight (actual wattage)
    Passive intake, 14cm pc fan exhaust..
    Smell, ill add a diy carbon filter, and a negative ion generator, and maybe some ona if needed

My cab is still a functioning speaker box (for those bass freaks out there ;) )
    Temps running between 79-85f.. Not ideal, but as good as im going to get while maintaining noise stealth.. Got a diy co2 generator, yeast sugar and water, should help with the slightly higher temps

Any q's on the design let me know :) any tips for the cab, let me know also!
    The plant is a little stretched because i had the lights off for a day and night when i was finishing off the cab, but its looking nice and healthy :)
    Its about day 5 after sprouting above the surface..

If people are interested ill keep this updated for you :)
    (uploading some pics for you)

2. #3 Iforgotmyname1, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2011
    image-40195428.png

image-2247958829.png

Cab dimensions are 14in wide, 23inch tall, 13inch deep
    Extraction is hidden internally in the small black speaker box ontop.. Helps block light and noise.. The fan is inside there, oooohhhh yeah :D

3. #4 Iforgotmyname1, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2011
    I little update: temps are running at consistent 82f, ive added soil up to the top of the little container, first set of leaves are a little bigger, and the second set are just starting to form.. Roots are looking good at the bottom of the "pot"
    Wateringwise, i heavily water the soil when i put the seed in (i dont use paper towel method, ive had better succes with soaking in shot glass full of water till seed sinks, then plant straight into soil..) then after that heavy soaking i probably wont need to water till i pot up.. Ive had problems before with overwatering, and this way sorted them

Ventilationwise, its quiet, same noise as a quiet computer really.. Im happy with it :)
    Hmmm what else.. Co2 generator is still effervesing, so its working

Yeeahh thats it so far i think.. Enjoy :p

image-4139105012.png

image-463309194.png

4. speakerbox + vertical scrog ? subbed!

good luck bud :)

5. I feel honoured to have such a microgrow pro subbing haha :)
    Yeah im looking forward to this, im tempted to start with an lst and some topping to establish a solid bushy base, then fix a scrog screen it up the left wall, and hopefully behind the back of the light..
    Should be interesting buddy :)

6. hahah thanks...sounds you have the same plan I would.

7. Alright guys happy christmas eve :)
    Short update, i need some help!
    There is slight yellowing on the leaves, maybe a little curling at the very edges upwards..

Conditions are still the same 81f, havnt watered yet since planting the seed (possible cause?)
    The internal fan ive kept off, as it increases temp up to 90f, but i could always place it behind the seedling if needed..

Basically im not sure of the cause of this, ive looked around plenty and nothing seems to exactly match it..
    Ive had this before and it did go away once the plant got bigger, however i would like to erradicate this little problem

Input would be much appreciated growers! :wave:

8. upward curling and canoeing is heat stress...plan on transplanting soon ? :)

9. Thanks bongsauce :) ill sort it now
    I think its time to get a little more air circulation/ventilation today, going to have a nice think about keeping the stealth up :)
    And yes, im tempted to pot up later today now you mention it, i can see some nicw roots at the bottom
    Cheers for the advice mate, ill update later today with how its all gone :D

10. Okay, my very temporary solution to this problem was to move the light more into one corner, and the plant to the other.. Dropping the temp next to the plant to 79f

After trying many fan arrangements/exhaust types nothing helped
    If anyone has any good vent setups for small cabs..?

11. Get another fan and make it an intake fan. Put it low on the cab so it's forcing air from a low part below the plant.

12. Thanks buddy, well, moving things to opposite ends seems to have worked a little, the 2nd set of true leaves are growing, the third set are about 1cm long and the 4th set are coming through now.. All since last time i posted (24hrs), so growth as improved :) the yellowing has also stopped spreading
    Ill try the intake fan tomorrow and see if it makes my temps better throughout the box, hope it does!
    And ill update with pics tomorrow night :)
    Hope everyone had a good christmas x

13. Yeah intake fans work great. In my led cab i was getting high eighties with just a exhaust fan and passive low vents. Turning one low vent into an active intake dropped it around 15-20 degrees, obviously my system was in need of more air, yours might be too.

14. You may not even need an intake vent. If at all possible, you need negative pressure in there, so instead of an intake vent you should first experiment with a little fan just to create circulation. It looks like you may have too much stagnant heat in there, just a little circulation inside would help the outtake vent.

15. Update time! 
    So, karr, ive added an 8cm fan running at half voltage (noise reasons) for the intake, i improved a cardboard light baffle to stop light leaks.. Although raising the overall temp to about 83-87ff, there is definitely more airflow through the cab.. Ive placed the plant next to one of the light baffle openings so it gets a nice breeze of cool air..    I dont quite know why temps are this high, placing my hand in the cab it feels cooler and more airflow than previous lower temps.. 
    Mr tea, this active intake seems too have given more airflow within :) however, i did try using an internal fan, however this just blew hot air around and rose the temp all the way too 90f :/
    I have a 12cm ran also running at half voltage, now 4cm behind the 14cm exhaust..

Plantwise, she looks fine :) no more yellowing yet, and nice growth :). I havnt transplanted yet as i didnt want to stress it further, what with these temp/airflow problems.. And it could do with watering.. So ill transplant in the morning, and give it a drink tonight :)

16. #18 Iforgotmyname1, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2011
    image-4056664617.png

image-2044007565.png

Edit: after letting things settle, the temp has stayed at 82/83f which i am happy with :)

Let the grow continue!!

17. Subbed, how are you keeping you lntakes and outtakes stealth. Are they simply lightproof or you really can't tell their there?

18. #20 Iforgotmyname1, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2011
    Ill take a few pics for you in a little bit mate.. The exhuast opening is at the back of the black speaker on the top (ive attached it to the main box). The black speaker is 10cm away from the wall/back of the grow box, this allows the air to leave, instead of it being flush with the wall.. This also stops it being seen quite nicely.. There is a little Light leakage at the back, because i havnt had time to attach the louver i bought for it.. However should be all good when i have :)
    As for the intake, it is a 8cm square hole, with a fan recessed about 6cm in.. I made a T shape light block for this, which you can see in the pic.. Blocks light completely :) i could put it on the other side of the box, next to the bookcase, however there was a hole on the other side from previous fan attempts, and i havnt had time to make a new one yet. It is currently disguised with an unused rucksack next to it until i sort it out :)
    Either way, both these things are working nicely so far! :p