Stealth Mini Fridge HPS Setup

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by scrappy1, Dec 31, 2013.

1. #1 scrappy1, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2013
    My setup will be using:
    1- 18x17x30 Mini Fridge
    1- bubble bucket (homemade)
    1- 150 Watts HPS
    1- Supplemental CFL 
    1- 4" Intake Duct Fan http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q2ER5C/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
    2- 104 CFM Intake fans (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009CO543S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
    4- Mylar blankets 
    1- chicken wire for SCROG 

I ordered everything today and I should have it by this weekend/early next week, I'm hoping I will be able to get some decent smoke from this setup.. it hasn't been cheap, so I hope its all worth it. what are your thoughts? I plan on to use SCROG to keep my plants small, but do you think Ill have heat problems with HPS in a small fridge? Ive seen it done before

Mini Fridge:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

150 Watts HPS (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041E0D6C/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
    [​IMG]

2. It's hard to accurately answer your question about heat because your situation is pretty specific. I would imagine that any fridge, in your case a mini fridge, is insulated to keep the cold in. This might work against you in that it will be insulating the heat. The HPS will be hot in that small of an area, but that 4" inline fan 190CFM along with 2 more fans should be more than enough to keep heat down, as long as colder air is coming in, and you're venting the hot air far enough away.

ok thanks, I know its hard to predict these kinds of problems.. heat has always been my kryptonite while growing

Ive also considered ripping out all the insulation if heat is a problem 

4. Once you get all your stuff in try some test runs with the light. Such as running the light without any fans, with just the inline fan, and with all fans, to see how the temperatures are before you get deep into the grow. Also might want to think about temps during the summer, might raise things a bit depending on where you live.

5. I would definitely try to find a nice LED for your setup, I'm trying out an LED/CFL combo in my stealth grow box right now, we'll see how it goes. Originally I bought a 150W hps, but it was way too hot in my little box. And it was louder than I would have liked. Right now I'm fighting to keep my temps higher and my PC fans are even turned down to 7.5V instead of 12V so they're super quiet. I hope that you figure out a way to get the hps to work though. Good luck, I'll be keepin my eye on this thread.

6. I got the light in yesterday and hung it today, I also found something to use for a bubble bucket. 

now I'm just waiting for the rest of my supplies, which should be coming tomorrow or friday.. I can't wait to get everything done!  :hello:

[​IMG]

its really bright.. I might not need my mylar lol 
    [​IMG]

7. Today I got almost everything I need to finish the fridge.. Once I get home from work I'm going to start building the bubble bucket

8. Finished most of the hard work,now I'm just waiting for my mylar to cover everything up.. give me some suggestions to get my temps down. They are about 84 at the moment. I'm still waiting for my intake fans to get here also. 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Making progress :)

I still need to make those intake holes bigger and mount those fans

[​IMG]

10. lookin good man, im in! 

keep us updated

11. How'd the box go? Im running a hps mini fridge grow also. With 3 putative intakes and just one 50cfm fan my box runs 85-90 and the plants are actually loving it