Stealth indoor DWC hydroponic-aeroponic grow

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by tswagz, May 27, 2016.

1. Okay so I've done a few grows, trying to step it up a bit without going to crazy. First time doing hydroponically but with a little research I got a decent Deep Water Culture system going.

I've grown a plant before in this filing cabinet but using only soil. And cfl lights.

This time around I'll be trying some different lights..

So this is what I got so far...

[​IMG]

What is shown there is a filing cabinet fixed atop of a 5 gallon bucket.

The bucket has an air stone at the bottom fed through the bucket lid and out into an air pump.

[​IMG]

The air stone should create bubbles and aerate the water.

[​IMG]

The air pump is kept inside a safe with the door cracked to eliminate much of the sound it creates.

The light I am using was a stab in the dark I've never used led before and figured I'll give it a try. The light I'll be using for vegetative state is this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It says it's rated at 100 watts should that be enough for a little while?

To cover this thing all up I use a good old fashioned shoebox and some duct tape.

[​IMG]

Also I realize that I may need to expand the grow area a little but for now I'll see how it works...

At the moment I am germinating seeds and will have something to put in there soon...
    Let me know what you guys think and also any tips maybe on growing in this manner... thnx

• Like Like x 1
  2. Also for the medium I used a mix of river rocks and perlite...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothings set in stone but it's all I got for now...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hey man, everything looks great.
    I'm no pro in growing here's my journal though.
    Closet Grow (Super Bubblegum)
    The only thing that's a Lyles concerning with this set up is that light. As you see it is a 100W replacement led?
    Even growing i believe or think you shouldn't look at what it replaces but the actual watts... And that's a 12W light with only 1200 lumens that's very little light. When choosing the light try and go for actual watts at 100W for normal growth of cannabis i read up that 5000 lumens is sufficient but the sun outside gives 10000 lumens on average so theoretically for it to grow better than it would outside you'd need 10000+ lumens.
    Not sure if I'm making sense but That's just my thoughts hope it helps you a little.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

4. It replaces 100 watts meaning it still gives out that much light while only using 12 watts? trust me this thing Is bright... And lumens is only a measurement of light visible to the human eye ya?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  5. Here's upgraded lighting setup

4 more cfl lights 4 each corner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nice looks much better . Also i doubt it actually shines 100w on the plants, i think they mean it works the same as 100w to the human eye but to plants i doubt it, my total wattage of cfls is about 360 actual watts but that would mean i have 1400w replacement watts and actual 1400w lights make monster plants or maybe i just have a dwarf of a plant lol.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

7. Here it is... planted and growing... I had a minor problem but fixed the ph and growing nicely hopefully female.

8. Update of the plant and door.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Switch so fans go on when the door closes.

[​IMG]

Another switch for the exhaust fan.

[​IMG]

9. Looks interesting! Subbed for updates.

Don't take this the wrong way, but - if you're up for switching to hydro, take another five minutes and cut you a better door, man! You're not working with a ton of light to begin with and you're losing a bunch of lumens to all those gaps. Find a bigger box, take some measurements, and cut you a proper door! (and build some light traps around those fans!) Simple upgrade to prevent light leaks, which can screw up a grow plenty. That and a can of white spray paint to maximize reflectivity in there and Bob's your uncle.

10. I'm on my first grow and one thing I deeply regret is not properly planning for doing resovoir changes and root rot checks (in the beginning) and for checking resovoir levels for top off as well as ph and ppm. I am now 5 weeks into flower and every time I have to remove my resovoir lid it's a pain in the ass. As the buds are starting to get heavier it isn't practical to move the lid around jostle the buds around. I am using plant yo-yo's now so it makes it even harder.