Stealth Fridge, CFL, DWC, SCROG, 2-3 Weeks Left

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by OnlyKillz, Aug 3, 2010.

1. #1 OnlyKillz, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2010
    Well I am pretty far into my first grow so I thought I'd finally share it with GC as it looks like I'm going to make it (knock on wood). Everything in this grow except for the grow space is 100% blueprinted off a GC post so I just wanted to say thank you to everyone and show my appreciation for you taking the time to share your knowledge.

Here is my old refrigerator with nothing visibly changed that can be viewed without moving the fridge.
    [​IMG]

And here's the inside of my fridge! The strain is Grapefruit that a friend got for me from a dispensary. I've been flowering now for a little over 6 weeks and from what I found out about the strain online it is an 8-9 week flowering period.
    [​IMG]

I'm cooling it with just a 6" inline duct booster fan blowing out a hole I cut in the back of the fridge. When both it and the air pump that is sitting below the ducting are running when the door is closed, it sounds just about like a running fridge.
    [​IMG]

The fan is pulling through a carbon filter based on the DIY by whatuthinkin *DIY* Carbon Scrubber with 6" Flange

You can also see I'm using the Lucas Formula with the General Hydroponic brand nutrients. Now the post I bookmarked and kept checking when I was starting off was a quote posted by Mordgrow Lucas Formula ...but I think it was originally from another forum.
    [​IMG]

I decided to use the Lucas Formula because of a grow journal I read by Mr Rumpleforeskin Home Made DWC in Stealth Closet, a very gifted grower that I think is pretty well known and respected around GC. I also based my bubble bucket off his extremely well put together DIY Lets Build a Bubble Bucket *Step by Step*.

You can also see behind my plant a small fan to move around the air and a black PVC elbow for the intake. It goes out a hole I cut down into the small alcove on the bottom of the fridge and is completely lightproof. It's also pretty noticeable that I both LSTed and Topped the one plant. The reason I only have the one plant for two holes is a long story that I will have to share later.
    [​IMG]

The light fixture is designed off a DIY post by StuntShine420 An inexpensive DIY grow light with a few modifications that I thought would help and a few I found after I had begun the grow!
    I used 4x42W and 4x26W 6500K bulbs on 24/7 during the vegetative cycle and I've been using 6x42W 2700K bulbs on 12/12 during flowering. The reason I'm using CFL's and how I know everything I need to know is from a guide by Kamel Kamel's CFL Guide
    [​IMG]

Finally, heres all the tops! You can kind of see the screen I'm using for the SCROG which I based off none other than Rumpleforeskin's grow. My buds aren't nearly as large as his, but this is my first grow and I've already learned a ton of lessons so I'm already hopeful for my next grow (clippings from this plant that are already growing roots!)
    [​IMG]

Finally more pics of buds. There are about 14 "Top" colas in all so I am really curious as to how much I'm going to get. I really have nothing to compare it to so I am hoping/guessing between 2 and 3 ounces dry??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm sure I missed a lot of threads by a lot of people that I read through several years of reading/researching on GC. I don't know how many countless threads I read on LSTing and Topping! So thank you to everyone who posts DIYs and Guides!!

2. Gratz and welcome to the wonderful world of growing :D K+ and you had better keep us posted... the trick is what can you improve on next round ?

3. I finally think I got the photos taken care of. Someone please let me know if they are not coming through well.

4. great grow! kudos and +rep for the layout! you have learned alot i can see

5. #5 OnlyKillz, Aug 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2010
    As this is my first grow I have a few questions when it comes to harvesting.

Question 1:
    I am now in my 8th week of flowering and I can't seem to see any amber trichs, but the rest of the plant seems to be indicating it is time to harvest. Since this is my first grow though, I am not sure if these signs are correct and would like to bounce my thinking off of some experienced growers. It might be that I am having a problem and just positive thinking is leading me to think it's harvest time.

1) My plant has stopped taking nutes for the past 2 weeks as indicated by my PPM meter. *The Ph has been in the 5.5-6.5 range this entire time and I have also flushed and changed my reservoir solution thinking it just needed a fresh start

2) The hairs have all turned a very dark color

3) The large fan leaves are starting to dry and curl up.

From the above indicators I started flushing on Tuesday and now am going to harvest either tonight or tomorrow. I've attached pictures of the overall plant, closeup bud, and magnified trichs if anyone can please let me know if my thinking is incorrect and I need to wait longer I would greatly appreciate it.
    Trichs1.jpg

Question 2:
    I am curious about the "white fuzz" that has been on my fan leaves most of the flowering period. (see picture below). Does this substance contain any THC or CBN? I was thinking about using all my fan leaves and smaller undeveloped buds (lesson: need to trim off more branches next grow) to make some cannabutter, but wanted to make sure it would work. It might even be mold that is contributing to the above problems, but it only appeared after my plant started creating buds. Any knowledge/advice would be greatly appreciated concerning this.
    Fuzz.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Bump.

Based on my above post I am planning on harvesting tomorrow morning at 6:30 before my lights come on and making edibles using my leaves:confused:. If anyone thinks I should do otherwise for any reason please let me know.

Thank you in advance!

7. Well I didn't quite get to it before the lights came on; I ended up staying up way later than I had originally planned. With the aid of a friend I was able to get it chopped and trimmed before my softball game today though.

I really wish I would have trimmed it up more early in the flower stages. I had so many just tiny branches with little buds that didn't turn out well. I decided to leave a few of them on to see if they could bulk up a little. I've read that you need to keep at least 1/3 of the plant alive in order to do this, and I left way less than 1/3 so I am going to see what it looks like tomorrow and play it by ear.

Before/After
    0815001454.jpg

0815001210.jpg

I'm drying them inside a box, that will be inside a cracked open closet. I have a large oscillating fan alternating between blowing over the box and out the door. I also have some of the smaller popcorn buds drying on a screen hanging in this closet.
    0815001500.jpg

Attached Files:

8. hmmm i actually dont know what that is on ur leaves but i would think that it is crystals and trichs... maybe next time use a stronger light for budding and you will get some more solid buds.. loks amazing skunk though have u tried any yet? know how much you pulled? other wise a good grow bro!!! mad respect i've never seen a leaf like that though thats dusty as!!! Chemsdog strain NFT SCROG NewZealand style - Grasscity.com Forums :hello::smoke:

good luck with ur next grow send a link to my page if you want, and do another one