STEALTH Cabinet Bagseed MicroGrow

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by JETLifted, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Hey everyone, I've been browsing gc for about 2 months now and decided to do a microgrow :hello: I have learned a lot on the way and hope I can get the same help to make a successful first time grow. I don't really mind the yield as of now, really I'm just shooting for baby girls! I'm giving away 4 of them to friends and focusing on the bigger two.

Setup
    • 2 1/2 ft tall, 1 5/8 ft long, less than 1 ft wide fish tank cabinet (20g tall tank)
    • 6 23w (100w equivalent each)
    • 2 80mm pc fans (one intake, one outtake)
    • Reflective wrap along walls (found from work)
    • 1 Xbox fan used for circulation (has 2 smaller fans)
    • 2 thermometers (want to upgrade to thermo plus humidity control)

• 6 Bag seeds
    • Random soil found in garage
    • Tomato nutrients (will post pic later)

image-2241395953.jpg

image-409076886.jpg

image-1695152916.jpg

image-2508509804.jpg

image-2084867844.jpg

image-1125665587.jpg

image-3352506682.jpg

The 2 in the bigger pots are 16 days old from sprout, other 4 are around are 12. My cabinet was running 95 the other day, I redid the box and gave more distance between the lights and plants. It is now running about 85 since the move, thinking about setting them at the very bottom of box to further decrease the temp. There is some heat burn from the temp and lights being about 1 1/2 inches away. But are still healthy none the less.

Let me know what you think!

2. Forgot to mention but have a timer as well running 18/6

3. Are you gonna keep them in the solo cups the whole time?

4. For the time being yes, but I will be giving them away this coming week. I'm only growing the 2 bigger ones

5. They look a little yellow from those high temps, but the stems look thick and healthy. I doubt they need all 6 of those bulbs right now, so shutting off one or two could put the temps into the 70s. What's the outside of your cab look like? "In plain sight" or in the closet? My stealth grow is out in the open.

6. Check it out

image-3497903435.jpg

image-354235453.jpg

It's out in the open, I'm planning on getting my buddy's 4x4 tent today and if I do, I will throw these guys in there and continue to stealth my cabinet. I've been messing around with the door trying to find the best way to seal it. An suggestions? I tried Velcro with magnets and it didn't seal completely, so I tore it apart and put the hinges back on and used that pipe foam? The stuff used to protect pipes. Anyways I cut that up and put it along the edges, it seals better but won't stay closed. So I attached one hook on the door and one on the back of the box and used a bungee cord to help seal the box. I also through the blanket on top to further decrease light passing into the box. I was skeptical with the heat, but I have been checking on it periodically and there's no concern anymore. The blanket doesn't touch the exhaust fan or any hot areas. But still just temporary

7. [quote name='"BongAttack"']They look a little yellow from those high temps, but the stems look thick and healthy. I doubt they need all 6 of those bulbs right now, so shutting off one or two could put the temps into the 70s. What's the outside of your cab look like? "In plain sight" or in the closet? My stealth grow is out in the open.[/quote]

But you're right, they are a bit yellow. I noticed it was yellow from temps because only certain areas turned yellow and the parts that were covered up stayed green

8. #8 BongAttack, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2012
    It's hard to seal openings like that. I had to do something similar with the two openings in my cabinet. I ended up just making a DIY ridge of duct tape that the door closes against. I actually need to redo one of them because I did it in a hurry and it's very sloppy. This time I'm going to give it rigidity using cardboard.

I've got pictures in my grow journal in the first post.

9. I need a good hour with it to brainstorm and find a better way, but I'd much rather watch my babies or play halo 4 haha

10. I moved my girls to their new home, 2x2x5 tent, 400w hps, one fan for intake, one small fan circulating air. Need to go and find a fan for outtake. But temp is at a consistent 85. During the process my lights went out for about 10 minutes and I didn't realize it. But there all settled
    image-403493031.jpg

image-2652562897.jpg

11. Update:
    Watered the girls yesterday. Started to feed at a quarter strength so far so good. Did some lst training and topped the two bigger ladies.

Day 16

image-1463196311.jpg

image-2029409906.jpg

My temp is running high so I plan on getting an exhaust fan soon, I keep the door open usually because for now stealth isn't the issue. When the odor comes in should I make my own carbon filter or just buy one? I've been reading up on them for awhile and was wondering if making one is just as effective with the pencil cup and pantyhose

Attached Files:

12. I had a hard time with the door to my box as well. I ended up using panda film and zipwall zippers to create a light proof door inside the not so light proof door. When I open the box there is the plastic; zip-zip; open. works really well, I have no light leaks. I tried a bunch of different things before I figured out the simple way... go figure.

13. [quote name='"alteregoic"']I had a hard time with the door to my box as well. I ended up using panda film and zipwall zippers to create a light proof door inside the not so light proof door. When I open the box there is the plastic; zip-zip; open. works really well, I have no light leaks. I tried a bunch of different things before I figured out the simple way... go figure.[/quote]

That sounds like a good idea, so I have a small situation. My leaves on one of my plants has spots of yellow. I'm thinking a mg deficiency. I watered all my plants yesterday using 1/8 strength of ff big bloom. The tiger bloom has mg should I feed this next time I water. Or should I use regular water.

image-2671072718.jpg

image-1201023360.jpg

14. I'll take some pictures tomorrow when the lights come on. I don't know about the soil? Sorry.

15. All good bro, but yeah snap some pics of your door when you get the chance

16. Update:

Haven't updated in a while but here is the progress so far. Let's start with the grow tent. Long story short I had high temp problems reaching over 95* F closed and 90* with the door open. One of my plants also showed signs of magnesium/calcium deficiency and all of them were yellowing ( I figured from heat stress and lack of nitrogen). Anyways, that was about 3 days ago. I went to the hydroponics store (amazing service, went in just browsing at prices and seeing what I'm getting myself into. 1 hour goes by and I leave with a 4in fan, assorted nutrients and free samples that will last me this grow and the next.

Since then I have been foliar feeding my baby's with a small dose of aminos, magnesium, and nitrogen in a spray bottle. Reason why I'm doing this method is because I need to wait a few more days before watering. But I have seen recovery and now my plants are green and happy. My temp now sits at 82-85* with humidity around 40-45.

Day 21

image-2412495437.jpg

image-393910646.jpg

Some pictures of the cabinet and grow tent

image-410739719.jpg

image-1605363585.jpg

And some pics of my smaller two Day 15

image-869406726.jpg

image-1340174407.jpg

17. Didn't even recognize this grow at first until I glanced back at page one. Dramatic turn around. Looks like they can still reach their full potential. :)

Did you end up sealing the door some way?

18. Not yet, I plan on making that my daily goal lol. Right now all 4 plants are under the 400w hps going 18 on 6 off. I'm going to wait another week or two before then make the switch to flowering. I'm not sure if I want to do all 4 and just germinate the last 5 bagseeds I have. Or if I should flower just the two bigger ones, leave the other in veg for another week then throw them in the tent for flower. Right now it's all trial and error, I want to know what makes the plant hurt and what makes them happy. I would be happy if all 4 were ladies, don't care for the yield as much just want to experience a grow and put one under the belt. What I do know is that I want to finish the bagseeds before I start to get more critical with my grow.

I noticed like a lot of other people on this forum that I rant a lot when I'm baked

19. Going to make a trip over to the hydroponics store and am on a mission to find a smaller pencil can for my DIY carbon filter

20. Made a DIY carbon filter today, all around costed me less than $20 and enough carbon for two more refills. Installed it and it works great. Temp sitting +/- 84. Also put my bigger ones in 2 gallon smart pots. Fed them all half dose of Nutes.

image-1012624385.jpg

image-2258624156.jpg

image-1457091342.jpg

image-136214917.jpg