Stealth 2X2X2 Cfl Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by specialedrager, May 28, 2013.

1. Hi grasscity, so i broke down and starting a journal that i promised my self i wouldn't!  Not my first rodeo but my first in a stealth cab

Exhast
    3 120mm coolmaster fans 

Lighting 

200 watt Feliz Cfl mougel e89
    Reflective hood with adapter

Intake 
    4 2inch intake holes
    2 1inch intake holes
    Raised False floor with no holes and 2-3 inches gap for air
    2 120mm cpi fans for circulation 
    4inch fan for circulation 
    Room always at 70 degrees

Lady Stuff
    Smart pot 2 gallon
    Foxfarms oceanic mix
    x2Barneys Farm Critical kush
    1 TH Seeds Darkstar
    1 Cali connection Original Sour Diesel

THE BREAK DOWN
    When i built the box i miss caulated so the door is 1 inch short wich leaves a gap when closed. (is getting replaced by the end of the week)

So guys average temp with door open is is 75 degrees but when i close door temps reach to 90  :eek:
    Im going with neg air pressure to cool off the cube, but not fully complying to the theory because im not air tight.(yet) Can not having the room air tight raise my temps that high :confused: ???  My other thought was the false floor does not have holes in it, so my second though is that the air circulation sucks because its only coming up the sides. So my 2nd thought is to make holes oppisite of the intake to promote better more consistent airflow..
    Ive been part of the community for 5+ years but tis the first time ive posted due to needing help!
    BLah i need help and i know by experience 2 stoners are better than one :bongin:   
    THX GC !

Attached Files:

2. #2 GoldGrower, May 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2013
    it sounds like the air is coming in through the top and also leaving the top so that's probably why your temps are getting so high. sealing it up will help. another problem you have is that pc fans don't do well when they have load, so you will see a far better effect having half the fans as intake fans.

3. #3 specialedrager, May 28, 2013
    Thxs Gold, I was thinking along the same lines with the gap on top, but for the fans i was under the impression if i had enough exhaust to recirculate the air within the cube every 5 mins with a passive intake I should be fine with cfl. If i would take the half/ half deal with intake, exhaust fans, do think i would be fine by just flipping 1 or 2 fans around in the same spot?

Thxs again 

4. sweet lookin set-up man!!  i get so frustrated trying to get my ventilation perfect.  hope you figure it out

5. SUP GC, thought it be good if i showed the box in a lil more detail!! 

Pic1 = Critical kush1 topped at 3rd node. Day 22 from seed 

Pic2 = Critical kush2 topped at 3rd node. Day 22 from seed

Pic3= Unknown for the moment.. Got high and started dark star and sensi seeds sweet caramel auto and forgot to label the 2 and 1 seed didn't make it, so i will veg for a month or so to and wait to see if she flowers by herself

Pic4 is showing underneath the false floor 

Pic5 sour d Starting out

Pic 6= the exhaust fans ( Wires are just chilling for now until i tune the box to spec)

Pic 8= Box, yes the floor is a dry erase board... does it need holes for better circulation?

Pic 9= 4 2inch holes and 3 1inch holes

Again this is my first time ever building a box let alone a grow cube. I've had about a dozen harvest in the past. I just couldn't resist the itch to grow again, Its become more of a passion over the years! Im am no pro just a stoner with to much time.. Plz if u see anything i can change to improve my situation, plz im open to all and ne help and info! I'll try to post as much as i can! 

THXS GC!! KEEP SMOKING!! :bongin:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      492 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      545.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      685.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      323.1 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      369.2 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      392.5 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      386 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      358.7 KB
      Views:
  6. Thxs Carnage! I've had to sit and toke in fustrastion over it more times than i like.. but all in due time good sir. Btw I LOVE regular show!!! OHHHHHHHHHHH   

7. you know who else likes regular show??????

MY MOM!!!!!!!!

8. I think once the gap is sealed your temps will probably be fine either way you have it, but I find with passive intakes it puts a lot of load on the fans, and they are not designed to take load, they suffer big time, so I find it best to have them helping eachother out

9. #9 specialedrager, May 28, 2013
    Awesome, i guess we will find out friday. I didnt think about the load they would be under when creating a neg pressure, so if all else fails ill throw a 140mm  intake underneath

On another note
    I plan on picking up a dresser from CL and creating my Flower box.
    rough demension
    2ft width 1-2ft depth and around 60in tall.
    Lights
    i plan i getting are 4 300 watt feliz Cfl, 2 2700k and 2 dual spectrum. Each bulb rating about 15,000 lumens so a rough total of 60,000     lumens at about 6 inches from the top  :hello: CFL FTW! Reason behind this is after months of research ive seen very little info on growers attempting these huge cfl. Yes there pricey and I could buy a 400hps for half of what i will spend but i want to see the potential of these things in a small area. 
    Ventilation 
    Either a 4in or 6in vortex fan. Ne Suggestion? I imagine that 4 of theses monsters together will get pretty hot, not as hot as a hps but enough to get stuffy quickly. My best guess is a fan controller and a 6in.
    No carbon filter needed ill be using one of these babys! ONA Bucket http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/728452-diy-ona-odor-control-bucket-cheap-easy.html Thxs Newbie for passing the info :yay:
    Closing note
    I will be SCROGING due to the limited space to increase efficiency of my system. Nutes wont be used till 2nd watering of flowering.
    Im trying to push CFLs to the limit lets see how this goes!

THXS GC

10. wow that's a lot to take in lol, 1200watts on CFL? that will produce quite a bit of heat. your in sort of uncharted territory here, I have never seen anyone use that many watts with cfls so I'm very interested to see how this goes. in all honesty i believe you would be better off spending that electricity on hps and ventilation instead.... but I have been wrong before lol

11. DAMN 1200 cfl watts!!!  cant wait to see how it goes!!

12. #12 specialedrager, May 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2013
    Yea its a lil adventurous but with no risk lies no reward. Defiantly not the cost efficient way but this time i will take the path less chosen  :cool:
    I will start out with just 2 300w 2700k for the start and slowly work in the other lights after conditions have been controlled. About the heat i have doubts on temps, for the 200w im using now is cool to the touch and produces medium amount of heat but only from the base of the light itself( due to the ballast is built on the base) so my thought would be welding the reflectors together and making a make shit aluminium venting en-closer directed to the bases only. But who knows where this path will take me for it is the one less taken, and thats why i got u guys to help guide the way  :bongin:

13. SUP GC, came home today after not see my ladies for 2 days to see that some one closed my box... First thought F**k but after my initial freak out my wife told me she ran some test of her own and got the box to a cool temp of 75 with the door closed. I guess she has the special touch haha. 
    I topped my first 3 ladies at 3rd node and have doubled in just 2 days  :yay: I plan on topping again on node 5 and 7 then switch them for flowering. Today sour d made her first appearance in life so ill be putting her in soil later today. 

Other than that the search continues for my perfect dresser on Craigslist, and been wondering if i could contain temps in a dresser with a 400w hps cool tube and have enough space for the girls?
    Stay Safe peeps

Attached Files:

yeah a 400w light in a dresser will be a tight squeeze for sure

15. for a cool tubed 400w hps you will need a minimum of about 5feet in height and 2x2feet canopy area. you could go up to a 4x4 and as high as you like, but I think a 400w is best suited for a 3x3

16. I have my 400W HPS in a 2x2 (actually 23.5x23.5) with 5-6' and it is definitely a little tight. I was limited in the cooltubes I could run in the area since most could not even fit diagonally. I did manage to find a shorter one though and it works great!

[​IMG]

17. WUD UP GC! Been a couple of days and thought I'd show the sum progress. 

Critical Kush #1 is getting a lil out of hand for my lil 2 ft box so i had to tame her and started zip training. Shes been topped at 3 and 5 nodes, currently day 30 veg, 2 more weeks till flower.

Critical Kush #2 is the perfect lil bush and showing all characteristics given from Barneys farm. Also tooped at 3 and 5 node and training will begin sum time this week. Showing small brown fading one one leaf, not shure what the cause is but will give a day or 2 and see where this goes. Day 30 veg, 3-4 more weeks till flower.

LA Chocolate is also inches from the light so i just got done bending her a lil. Topped at 3 and 5, day 30 veg, 2 more weeks to flower.

Mystery plant is looking good and just got topped after i forgot it could be Auto Sweet Carmel.. :hippie:  opps 
    But on the other hand I found out that the other possible plant, TH Seed DarkStar was just named one of High Times the best strains :metal: So I only hope she doesnt flower by herself and end up with a dank Afghan Strain. Day 14 Veg, 30 till flower or when it wants 2

OG Sour D looking good at day 7 on 3 set of leaves.

Other news, Door has been replaced and temps are cruising at a steady 75. The dresser search is over and will be posting pics and maybe a full walkthrough with pics. I decided for now i will use a 250 hps, due to money and harvest amount desire! I plan on pursuing the cfl still but over a period of time. Let me know what u think! Thxs GC   see u in space  :bongin:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpeg
      1.jpeg
      File size:
      160.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpeg
      3.jpeg
      File size:
      138.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpeg
      4.jpeg
      File size:
      57 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpeg
      5.jpeg
      File size:
      157.6 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpeg
      6.jpeg
      File size:
      51.4 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpeg
      7.jpeg
      File size:
      64.3 KB
      Views:
  18. Looking very nice kudos

19. Oh pic 5 leaf stems looking purple is this normal for strain or have you got any known issue? Just wondering as sometimes that purple colour can sometimes mean a deficiency in some nutrition. I'm most likely wrong though.

20. Thxs Bozie! Im not sure about the purple stems. I don't check ph or add ne nutes during veg, only water and good ol foxfarm soil. But it is the only plant that is purple but the only one of its kind in the box. Strain in question is LA Chocolat  (LA Confidentail x Chocolope) So lets see what other ppl think. Thxs again