Steakbomb's Quantum Closet

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Steakbomb, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Working on cooling my solution a bit this morning - got an ice bottle in the res and 1gal of soup removed/put in the fridge for while the ice bottle does its thing.

Got my light at 16" off the res deck now, and have increased the intensity just a bit. Things were getting a little warm, but pointing my clip fan at the QB heat sink seems to have solved that problem well enough.

The less-healthy seedling still needs to root out. The color seems to be improving, but the leaves are cupping a bit still.... too *much* light maybe?
    20180523_084706.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Could the cupping be due to the high temps?
    I was under the Impression they cupped like that to trap water in an attempt to cool down.

Your Friendly neighborhood 187
    187's second indoor DWC grow LSD & OG Kush & "Master Berry Kush"

• Like Like x 1
  3. I believe I figured it out - cupping and light color were from too much nutes. Diluted down to a TDS of 260 mid-day yesterday and by 9 hours later things looked vastly improved.
    20180523_204524.jpg
    I gotta be on the road for work today - can't wait to see how they're looking when I get back!

• Like Like x 1
  4. #484 Steakbomb, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Finally have roots coming from both. Hopefully some good development coming this week... they still strike me as small for being 3wks above ground. 20180526_083914.jpg
    Hard to really see well in the picture but node #3 is opening up on each.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Coming along... think I'm gonna move them into the cab next weekend. 20180529_094136.jpg 20180529_094318.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  6. Thinking about a couple upgrades for the next go-around in the seedling tent.

1 - Upgrade to two QBs. Love the QB light, but it gets a little warm at the higer wattages - especially given the tent is in a closed closet. I figure if I get a second one, I can cover more area with good intensity, but keep the wattage as low as possible therefore keeping the environment cooler.

2 - Chiller for the water. I don't need a big one like the one I have for my cabinet, but the water is definitely a pain to keep cool. I've been looking at the "Chill Solutions" CSXC-1 nano chiller - I think that would be perfect for keeping my 6gals cool. Small pump in the res, hose out to the chiller (maybe mounted on the wall), hose back to the opposite end of the res. Bonus recirculation to boot!

• Like Like x 2
  7. #487 Steakbomb, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Been emailing with HLG about getting the parts to double up on the QBs - the order has been placed.

I should be able to set up and test the 2-board fixture between grows since the Oranges are moving up this weekend.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Move-up done. Mixed up the cab res this morning and moved the plants over just now.
    TDS in the tent res was about 250, which had been drawn down from about 290 over the last few days, so seems like they're feeding nicely now. New res is at about 390. A little higher concentration of the base/grow, but a good bit more calmag since they are getting more QB light in the cab.
    Checked my lux, too - they were getting about 12K lux in the tent, about 15k now in the cab. Gonna bring the light closer over the next couple weeks and see what I can get to safely.
    20180602_161300.jpg 20180602_161306.jpg
    I also used a little gorilla tape and made some tabs for the res port covers. These lids have wire routing holes at the corners, but I noticed that wound up being more of a spot to grow algae than being useful. While I was at it, I added tabs to make them easier to pull out when I need to. 20180602_153554.jpg 20180602_153548.jpg
    Hoping for some good growth this week!

• Like Like x 4
  9. So plants have been in the cab for 2 days now. I have to say my roots are looking pretty good, but I have a little leaf drooping. Not sure if the plants are just adjusting to the transplant (stronger nutes, diff light spectrum) or if there's something I should be worried about going on.
    20180604_095334.jpg 20180604_095342.jpg 20180604_095352.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thinking its the lower humidity in my basement relative to the bedroom closet they were in until the move. RH is about 15-20% lower downstairs on average (at least for now).

I fired up a humidifier down there and have brought it up from around 37% to 45% so far -- shooting to get back to around 50%.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Got my second QB / heatsink / power supply today, but no mounting screws! I may be able to use the 8 mounting my current board and use 4 per board on the new heatsink, but I definitely need to get the other 8 I need so I get good thermal coupling.

Emailed HLG - they've been really responsive so hopefully they are quick to send me extras!

• Like Like x 3
  12. HeY SBomb
    I hope your plants get over the Move! It's Good your RooTs are Doing Well!
    ConGraTs on the HardwarE

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  13. Thanks TPG! Hardware came yesterday - got everything set up this morning. Getting great coverage and lux with the 2 boards running at the lowest wattage. Gonna leave it on for a few hours & see what happens with temps.
    20180605_134539.jpg
    Gonna order that little chiller in a week or so to get ready for starting my next crop. Time to go back to photos!

I have some options. Right now I'm leaning toward Crimea Blue (blue to follow up the oranges haha). I could do...
    -Crimea Blue
    -Honey B
    -Utopia Haze (Take 2)
    All from Barneys... What do you guys think?

• Like Like x 2
  14. How tall is your tent? I've never seen one so short. How do you keep your plants from hitting the top in like 30 days?

• Like Like x 1
  15. 36" - I use it for seedlings & early veg. I top them once or twice while they're in there too - 5-6wks is usually about as long as I can go in there.

They go into my cab before hitting flower, and that is 78" tall.

Usually start the next round of seeds in the tent a few weeks before cab harvest. Continuous cycle, baby!

• Like Like x 3
  16. Sweet!

• Like Like x 2
  17. HeY BomB!
    I've had mY eye on Crimea BluE

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  18. Cab plants have been continuing to be droopy, so I've been pondering what could be wrong & how to remediate. At this point I have two potential culprits I'm gonna try to fix.

1 - too much nutes. Current Culture (the guys who make the manufactured undercurrent rig that I copied) typically touts the low nute requirements - they claim undercurrent delivers nutrients better than other systems. I'm gonna start a 2-day flush when I get back from my work trip, then go to a lower dosage this weekend. If the drooping is from too much, I'd anticipate some kind of improvement in a few days.

2 - If no joy with nute reduction, I'll try smaller airstones. I have 6" dome stones in my buckets directly under my net cups and the water is just friggin going like crazy. I suppose its possible this is keeping the rooter cubes at the center of the net cups too wet & causing symptoms of overwatering. I have the 4" stones I used in my old res somewhere, so I can check to see if downsizing helps...

The QBs are new in the cab from recently too. I highly doubt they are the issue (especially since they work great in the tent & others have had major success with them), but if my other two hypotheses don't shake out, that may be the next thing to tinker with.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Hmmm nutes could be..let us know how it goes @Steakbomb

• Like Like x 2
  20. Kicked off my flush this evening - I also think I have nailed down the specific issue.
    20180607_203015.jpg
    I believe I am seeing a calcium overdose, which makes sense as I did bump up the amount of calmag when I moved them to the cab (anticipating them needing more from getting higher intensity qb light).
    The symptoms are stunted growth, minor leaf wilting, and harming uptake of K, Fe, Mg, and Mn. Pretty sure I have some evidence of deficiencies on those, too.

Gonna refill w/ soup on Saturday, probably, and use the same formula, but adjust the calmag down to about 1/3 of what I was using. I'm expecting the drooping/wilting to get corrected from the flush, and then hopefully with the new soup they'll get a move on.

• Like Like x 2