Staying hydrated

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by CaptainCCC, Mar 19, 2012.

1. I've always heard of drinking 8 cups of water a day or whatever. Lately when I think about it, I drink like 2 or 3 a day. One before I workout, 2 after. Other than that's it's coffee in the morning and nothing after that.

So my question is this: is there a drink I could be drinking that would hydrate me more and make my body more ready for a cardio/body weight workout? Or am i missing the point entirely. (not sure what I had in mind, like green tea, sports drink, coconut water? I've heard a lot of them.

Thanks!

2. just drink more water dude

drinking the proper amount of water has got to be the most underrated thing ever.
    drinking caffeine just further dehydrates you.
    if you're drinking coffee/soda and working out regularly those 2 or 3 cups just isn't gonna cut it

3. Knew I'd probably hear this... I'm always looking for shortcuts and finding my way back to whats best.. Sometimes I feel like my stomach just cant handle all that water haha

4. I know what you mean dude, but the best thing to do is just carry a waterbottle around with you all day and keep filling it up, sipping on it all day. Something i need to start ASAP because bjj makes me sweat my ass off, especially with the gi on.

5. dont take the whole 8 cups thing toooo literally. everybody is different and it depends on activity and size of course.
    don't feel like you need to be downing water all day. there are 250 ml in a cup so 8 cups is only 2L. that's for a whole day.
    if you have less coffee and soda in your stomach, which would be another health benefit, then it isn't that much.

6. Dude when you eat anything it has water no matter what.

7. 2-3 glasses a day like you said is NO WAY near enough if you want to keep hydrated.

Drink every time you're thirsty, water is the best thing you can drink

8. I know food has water in it. But yo, I'm not really that thirsty throughout the day. Just dont get cotton mouth like I used too... but i'm gonna try to carry around more water with me on the daily.

9. Lol water is everywhere. Drink it.

10. Drink water all day basically. It helps you from overeating since a lot of the time you are just dehydrated and misinterpret it as hunger. You should be pissing anywhere from 8-10 times today. Rule of thumb should be that your pee is always clear. If it's yellow I drink more water.

If you wanna drink something before a workout for hydration and energy, juice fresh fruit and veggies or you can make a smoothie.

I drink water fresh juice, smoothies, and water. That's it. Stay away from pasteurized juice as much as possible, but 100% pure juice with no preservatives or additives from the store is fine ONCE IN A WHILE. Soda, iced tea, coffee...anything other than mentioned above should be avoided all together. Actually add raw homemade nut milk to the list of things that are ok. I don't recommend the cooked stuff from the store though...

11. [quote name='"budsmokn420"']Drink water all day basically. It helps you from overeating since a lot of the time you are just dehydrated and misinterpret it as hunger. You should be pissing anywhere from 8-10 times today. Rule of thumb should be that your pee is always clear. If it's yellow I drink more water.

If you wanna drink something before a workout for hydration and energy, juice fresh fruit and veggies or you can make a smoothie.

I drink water fresh juice, smoothies, and water. That's it. Stay away from pasteurized juice as much as possible, but 100% pure juice with no preservatives or additives from the store is fine ONCE IN A WHILE. Soda, iced tea, coffee...anything other than mentioned above should be avoided all together. Actually add raw homemade nut milk to the list of things that are ok. I don't recommend the cooked stuff from the store though...[/quote]

Will 2 a week for pop be good. Cuz that what i do

12. #12 budsmokn420, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2012
    Pop as in soda? Two cans of soda a week? Well it's definitely better than drinking it daily, but your end goal should be to eliminate it entirely. Ideally the thought of soda shouldn't even cross your mind.

13. Coffee is too good though. Something I can't really see myself giving up, I'm ok with having to drink more water on its behalf.

14. Yea cause your addicted to caffeine. It's like any other drug. After a week or two you'll be fine. If you keep telling yourself you'll never give it up than you won't, but if you truly wanna get healthy and set your mind to giving it up you can do it.

15. Lol i give him credit for coffee being too good, even besides the caffeine addiction the taste of a good old 2 cream 2 sugar coffee mmmmmmm :D but i've been trying my best to avoid it aswell because i know the sugar, cream, and caffeine are a deadly combo.

16. Easy. Just smoke A LOT more. You'll always have cottonmouth so you'll always be thirsty. :smoke:

But on the real take budsmokn420's advice.

17. :hello: what he said. I start my mornings with a huge glass of water and just keep drinking throughout the day. Always carry a water bottle with you. Eating your water is a great for you, too, fruits and veggies!!

if for some reason you can't drink water all day, at least have a huge glass before you eat anything. This aids digestion too.
    another thing to remember is, if you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated.

18. I've been known to drink a gallon or more a day

19. Yes! Good stuff guys thanks thanks. As for the coffee thing, I won't be giving it up anytime soon. Even before I started getting addicted with coffee I do better work in school so if it's the one unhealthy thing in my life I'm cool with that now.

Starting this day off with a large glass of water whilst in the shower then takin my coffee to go. Thanks blades

20. 8 cups and you're bloated?? That's weird, haha. I drink up to 10 water bottles throughout the day. "I drink a lot of water; trying to stay healthy.":hello::smoke: