stay alive-- organic medical grow

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by thezephyr, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Thanks so much. I'll repot tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hi TZ,
    I hope things are going well. I repotted yesterday into a 14" pot. 14" inches is supposedly equivalent to 7 gallons, but it looks smaller than that to me. From observation, I'm not sure how significantly root bound it was. Does this look like it could have been root bound?
    Side View
    IMG_20160512_144955717.jpg
    Bottom View
    IMG_20160512_145010063.jpg

I broke the roots up slightly anyhow. Does this look like the proper way to do it?

Side View
    IMG_20160512_145357466.jpg

Bottom View
    IMG_20160512_145410721.jpg

Thanks so much TZ. Please have a good day.

• Like Like x 1
  3. yeah that all looks great to me. I'd say that it wasn't a severe case, but definitely a bit rootbound. Looking at how solidly the soil is held together by the roots and the amount of roots visible on the exterior, it seems like the root system has grow pretty much to capacity, and would have had no room left to expand in its 3 gallon pot. Looking at the bottom view before you loosened the roots, I think I can see 4 specific areas of knotted root where the roots coiled together as they tried to grow through the drainage holes in the bottom of your pot. I'm guessing in another few days you might have seen some roots extending underneath the pot looking for more soil and collecting runoff from watering. I think you definitely did the right thing loosening the root ball before transplant.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks so much. There were definitely some roots growing out of the bottom. I'm sure the larger pot will help tremendously.

I have one other question. I've noticed that you have had success with cloning. I have two clones potted now and neither is making any real progress after about 3 weeks. One doesn't have any roots yet, and the other is either growing very slowly or it grew a tiny bit and then stopped growing altogether. I haven't checked the roots of this one. Do you have a protocol that you use for cloning? Take care and thanks so much.

• Like Like x 1
  5. #65 thezephyr, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
    yeah I think your plant should definitely get some boost through flowering from the fresh soil. I've had some success cloning in the past, but I'm going to be changing my methods. The way I have cloned in the past is the basic method that's always been used for cuttings from any plant.

I would make the cut with either a very sharp blade or pruning scissor, and then immediately place the cutting in a glass or vase filled with water. If using a clear glass, I would wrap a towel around the glass to keep the stem/root growth in the dark. within 2-5 days, root growth sites (small white bumps) would form on the stem, and usually at least one larger clump of root would form at the base of the stem. Once this forms put the cutting in a small pot of light organic soil (like a seed starter mix), making sure to keep the soil moist and to avoid disturbing the roots in formation. This is super easy, but the drawback is that not all strains accept this method. some strains just drink water directly for a few days and die off like a cut flower. Hardier strains generally take to this method just fine, and if you see white root site lumps on the main stem of the plant or at the bases of branches, that strain will almost definitely work using this basic method.

Like I said, this is just a generic gardening method, and I'm currently considering what technique to use next time I take cuttings. One possibility is to dip the end of the cutting immediately in raw honey and then plant directly in soil moistened with a kelp tea. raw honey, being made from pollen, contains plant enzymes that can aid in root formation, and should seal the cut from oxygen damage. Kelp also contains plant enzymes (and maybe plant hormones as well) that aid in root development.

• Like Like x 1
  6. As soon as my plants are mature enough to clone, I'll post photos and a step by step of the exact process I end up using.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Great! Thanks so much. I put the cutting directly into the soil after cutting it. Since I haven't seen any real activity since planting them, do you think it would be worthwhile to try starting over and putting them into water at this point?

• Like Like x 1
  8. It might be best to leave them as is and give them some time to pull through. if they've been stable for a long time, that's not a bad sign. probably best not to interrupt the rooting process.

9. If they start to look like they're not drawing water (getting limp or dry) then it would probably be a good idea to pull them out and cut away the bottom 1/4" or so at the end of the stem. If the cut experienced air damage, it might stop drawing water. sometimes the very end of the stem might die off, but you can still save clone by making a new cut above the damaged area. If you ever do remove them from the soil, do so extremely carefully to avoid damaging any roots in formation, and try to complete your process and replant as quickly as possible to avoid any possibility of air or light damage because roots in formation can be pretty sensitive.

• Like Like x 1
  10. #70 thezephyr, May 17, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016
    Outdoor Update:
    BAM
    IMG_0962.JPG
    Alpine OG blowin up, marigolds established
    IMG_0970.JPG
    just mulched with more lemon balm and some rosemary, and they'll be sprayed with neem tonight. You might notice that there are some missing leaf tips, and a fence running 360 degrees around the plot. that's because my cat is a fiend, and he goes after all of my best plants in veg when they start producing essential oils. it's chill though the plant has only sped up its growth since then. and now I know this phenotype is officially Buck approved. haha

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hi TZ,

I apologize for the delayed response. I hope you've been chilling. Your raised beds look great. My clones are starting to look limp. Should I put them in water after cutting the stem?

• Like Like x 1
  12. I think if there are some legit roots forming, just put it back in the soil and water until its quite moist. If there are definite roots, the plant might re-establish faster going back into the same medium although soaking probably wouldn't hurt anything. If you see no roots at all or only root bumps (the first stage of root formation will look like a lot of small white bumps along the stem) and nothing really seems to have been disturbed, then let it soak in a vase for a while (~2 hours or as long as you like). Drawing water directly through a fresh cut should help it perk up a bit if it's not too far gone, and once you see that improvement you can replant.

• Like Like x 1
  13. #74 thezephyr, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
    what up everybody, time for a quick update.
    So I finally got my refund from illumitex, and I'll be creating a separate thread on the wack experience doing business with them.

I'm currently planning to use more conventional CMH lighting that I can acquire locally, because its the closest to full spectrum in a conventional bulb, and complete with ventilation it should still be well within the budget of my illumitex refund.

I'm finishing this indoor grow real small, turning most of the plants into tincture and getting a few flowers. So it's a complete grow in only a one gallon pot haha, and nothing really worth posting pics of. The best pants in this cycle turned out to be the Professor Paul lemon cherry, one male one female, but the sturdiest fasted maturing plants in the set. Close behind was one pheno of the root beer kush, the other pheno didn't look impressive but grew roots faster than anything. maple leaf indica is so far unremarkable, but I'll definitely be giving these all another shot with the legit setup in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  14. #75 thezephyr, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
    new lighting and the flowering tent are gonna be ordered this weekend, and should be set up by the end of next week if not sooner. This being the first run in a 2 tent perpetual system, I can start more seeds running the flower tent in veg as well on the first cycle.

The next grow is 8 Bodhi Seeds Jungle Spice congo landrace x 88g13 hashplant and 2-4 root beer. I'm hoping the effect of the jungle spice is similar to the durban pie I've grown in the past. I intend to make a cross between these two strains, and some pure f2's of whichever lineage I select the male from.

edit: I'm getting waaayyy ahead of myself.. but depending on the aroma, this cross is gonna be called sarsparilla spice

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fresh plant tincture for inflammation
    IMG_0982.JPG
    candy apple caddillac green

• Like Like x 1
  16. Green Lean IMG_0983.JPG
    1 dose of tincture, organic pineapple and pineapple coconut juice, half shot or less of kraken, a lime wedge, and yuzu citrus bitters

• Like Like x 2
  17. warriors game 7 tonight, so I got some friends coming over to see the game. My boy G is a chef so we're gonna be having Pizza a la Dank hahaha. dough from scratch with a recipe from a pizza place he used to work at. G's gonna be using some cherry pie trim from his last grow to infuse the olive oil in the marinara, and for the other pizza we're gonna make pesto de la mota with fresh basil and my fresh lemon cherry male. gonna be some next level shit I'll be posting photos of the meal, we about to get blaaaazed on this dinner.

• Like Like x 1
  18. outdoor plants are past waist high. view from inside:
    IMG_0995.JPG

19. Sounds great! I want to learn to cook with cannabis too. So the olive oil has the the? How do you use the cherry pie?

• Like Like x 1