stay alive-- organic medical grow

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by thezephyr, Apr 25, 2016.

1. #1 thezephyr, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    whats up everybody, this is the beginning of my perpetual indoor medical grow journal. This grow thread will concentrate on medical hybrids and landrace strains that I'm growing to combat the effects of a connective tissue/primary muscular tissue disorder. These plants are being grown for juicing, tincture, whole plant type extracts, hash, and buds. I'll be breeding hybrids to landrace strains, and making straight f2s of some varieties. any advice and experience the community can contribute will be greatly appreciated since this grow is for high stakes medical purposes, and its my first indoor run. the whole grow will be organic. my goal is to find vigorous and medicinally effective phenos to ekep as established mothers and stud plants, and to eventually move towards a clone based grow with no till veg and flower of cuttings. my finished setup will consist of parallel 3x3 veg and flower tents. I'm currently running just the veg tent with fluorescent lighting, but I just took delivery of a pair of illumitex 300 watt (600 watt equivalent) led arrays. The leds will go up in veg tonight, plants will be transplanted and the next tent will go up within the next week.

IMG_0876.JPG
    Left to right: Rare Dankness Cornbread, Professor Paul Lemon Cherry, Hermetic Genetics Root Beer, Sensi Maple Leaf afghan
    IMG_0878.JPG
    Left to Right: Lemon Cherry #2, Root Beer #2, Maple Leaf #2.

The Cornbread is either a mutant or a damaged seed, the pack was delivered last summer in 102 degree heat (although all the other seeds have been %100) and it may have soaked slightly too long before going into the soil. This is number 2, cornbread #1 got culled already it was to pathetic. Anybody know what this should look like? anybody else have weak seedling issues with rare dankness?

So far I like the lemon cherries, strong sprouts, compact growth on pheno #2, good potential for branching on both, but both slightly slow in comparison to the other starts.

The hermetic genetics root beers are looking great, the most vigorous plants at this point both are starting to branch nicely. Pheno #1 is so leafy and shows such good early branching I'm going to throw it outside for juicing, and take a few cutting to continue the lineage indoor for sexing and evaluation.

The sense maple leaf indica looks nice, but it grows like most basic afghans and seems like more worked strain than they describe it on their website. Pheno number 2 is nicer at this point, pheno 1 fades quick when it wants water or a top dressing.

I'm recently disabled so the heavy work mixing soil, setting up tents, and hanging lights is all thanks to a few close friends and family. updates to continue...

• Like Like x 1
  2. does anyone know of a high cbd variety thats definitely good for juicing?

• Like Like x 1
  3. I'm very interested in landrace genetics, I think that a naturaly broad cannabinoid and terpene profile gives natural varieties huge medical potential. a rep from real seed co recommended kumaoni for medicinal/cbd purposes, but being a landrace i'm not guarunteed a cbd pheno. just delivered today with odd packaging- seeds between two mousepads. these are from pick and mix because the were out of stock everywhere, so hopefully theyre genuine. It should be real easy to tell randos from an heirloom charas plant when I pop these. If not I picked up another 5 from seedsman (real seed co's official us retailer), they sold out within an hour of the restock email and I was only allowed one pack.
    IMG_0879.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  4. Illumitex troubles--
    so I was getting help from family unpacking the lights.. the hanging hardware is machined completely wrong. Its a bracket with hooks that insert into mount holes on the aluminum casing of the light, but the hooks are bent at such an angle that they can only reach about a 1/16th of an inch before the straight sections of the bracket bottoms out against the casing. Everything else looks to be very well made, but because of this bracket the lights have no chance of going up. I just contacted illumitex, so we'll see how well this manufacturer stands behind its product.

5. Subbed. Thanks for sharing. I'm interested in landraces and medicinal genetics too, but I'm very new to all of this. Are you talking about these lights NeoSol 300W LED Plant Growth Fixture Illumitex ILNS300 ? Does what you have look different from the photos there?

• Like Like x 1
  6. #6 thezephyr, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    Yes, that's what I've got but on illumitex's website it's just called the neosol ns. I bought them direct from illumitex. Got a quick helpful response from their representative saying that I've probably been sent the wrong set of brackets, which makes sense if these brackets were intended for a much smaller light. the light itself looks amazing, but I'm not sure these brackets are machined correctly, the hooks at the end have been bent to a very strange angle. You can see that there are like 3 welds to bend it, and it just seems like the proportions are off.

7. #7 thezephyr, Apr 27, 2016
    Illumitex is being dismissive, and instructed me to alter/damage the casing of the light in order to compensate for their manufacturing defect, which would have voided their warranty and removed any legal responsibility on their part. This is clearly going to be difficult.
    iltx1.JPG
    iltx2.JPG

8. #8 thezephyr, Apr 27, 2016
    Pick and Mix (pick n mix/single seed centre) verified the authenticity of the kumaoni seeds by sending me pictures of the original real seed co packaging. The seeds looked like they should, real seed co gathers their seed stock at its original source so these seeds all came from different wild pollinated female plants of the same variety. accordingly, the seeds are uniform in shape and size, but vary greatly in color as they most likely come from different mother/father plants.Nonetheless, pick and mix has a guarantee to include a portion of the original packaging with each individual seed and this wasn't included. Because I'm growing these for medical purposes, authenticity was of the utmost importance so I had to verify. They sent pictures of several real seed co strains in original packaging and a thorough explanation as to why the packaging was not included. Very helpful customer service, they even said they're looking into including something else with the seeds to verify authenticity in cases when it isn't possible to include the original packaging. I dont usually need individual seeds, but this is definitely a reliable company.

• Like Like x 1
  9. That does seem to be a bit unreasonable. Do you think they will agree to just send you another set of brackets?

• Like Like x 1
  10. I certainly hope they do. It'd be a shame to send back the lights because of something so minor. I could think of an alternative method to hang it, but honestly if the company isn't willing to acknowledge or fix a simple manufacturing defect, I'd have no confidence that they would support the five year warranty on the light itself.

• Like Like x 2
  11. #11 thezephyr, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    I actually just checked my email and they will be sending me a new set of brackets, which is a relief.

I'll be transplanting into 5 gal pots as soon as I can hang the led's, then I'll give the plants about a week to establish before putting them in 12/12 to preflower. I'll be taking cuttings of all females as soon as they sex. at that point I'll remove all except the best male and allow it to pollinate the females in their early stages of budding. the pollinating male will get cloned and then chopped before the females mature too much, so only the initial tops will be pollinated and I should end up with lightly seeded bud. the idea of this semi-random cross is just to get some experience finding the right harvest timing for fully mature seeds and curing/saving them to produce a viable stock.

• Like Like x 2
  12. cuttings of the two most medicinal female phenos will move outdoor as soon as the clones are established and the quality of the indoor crop can be determined.

13. That's great news! Let's hope this set fits properly. Please forgive me if I missed it, but for how long have your plants been vegging so far? Your seeding experiment sounds great. I've been wondering about the right time for harvesting seeds too.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I need to remember to take note of the specific day next time, but I'm pretty sure the plants sprouted in the first week of april.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I know what you mean. One thing that is fun about experimental growing is that you learn so much as you go along. In your case the exact veg time may not matter so much. It seems that you are just trying to get a feel for which plant will produce the best seeds and get the hang of the seeding technique. Am I correct?

I was thinking that veg time may have an effect on seed quality, but this would require a completely different set of experiments. Do you think that comparing different veg times would be worthwhile in the future?

• Like Like x 1
  16. #16 thezephyr, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    That would definitely be worthwhile. In my outdoor grows I've noticed that the plants that sprouted and began veg earliest, like late march-early may, were much stronger in the final stages of flowering compared to plants that had a shorter season starting in late may or june. the plants that had a longer outdoor veg season were able to flower later and with better mold and pest resistance than plants started in june or july, which have generally had to be harvested early due to lack of vigor and susceptibility. I would think that the added strength in late flower of long season veg plants would definitely give them an advantage in seed production.

With indoor grows my goal will generally be to flower to full potential and maturity (pistils and large fan leaves dried and faded, buds swollen, cloudy and amber resin glands) as quickly as possible. So one goal for indoor breeding will likely be to find plants that can produce strong mature seeds within the desirable harvest window for usable medicine.

After this current outdoor season, I'm planning to exclusively grow landraces outdoor. They'll be grown male and female to create a pure acclimatized batch of landrace seeds through open pollination. the seeds will continue to be grown outdoor and allowed to open pollinate, selecting for medicinal qualities and plants that either mature before the rain starts, or that can flower in heavy rain without mold.

Pollen from the best landrace males will be used to create crosses with the indoor female plants to create a new generation of hybrids. any males that get culled due to undesirable traits will be replaced with a hybrid female to join the open pollination. any crosses involving a hybrid male to a landrace female would have to take place indoors with a clone of the female to maintain the purity of the landrace line in the outdoor pollination. The goal of these landrace/hybrid crosses would likely be to make strains with a landrace medicinal effect and growth characteristics suitable for indoor, or to make a good indoor variety hardier and more suitable for outdoor growth by crossing it with a more aggressive and highly resistant wild variety.

• Like Like x 2
  17. absolutely correct. the goal for this indoor grow is to get a feel for seed maturity vs bud ripeness, and figure out the criteria that will determine my harvest window in the future. the other goals are to determine which of these 4 varieties would be best for growing outdoors this season as a cutting, get some experience cloning, and to get a batch of high quality meds well before the outdoor harvest.

18. All of this sounds awesome. With your outdoor grows, do you plant in pots?

• Like Like x 1
  19. I've usually used 10 gallon smart pots, but last season I had great results with 2 plants that went straight into unamended native clay soil. This season all my plants are in raised vegetable beds of mostly clay rich native soil amended with aeration, post chicken compost, neem seed meal, oyster shell flower, kelp, and worm castings. I'm not going to be pollinating my outdoor grow this season, its only my second season in this yard and I need to get some more experience with the unique environmental factors here, mainly the intense rain at the end of the season and the presence of a particularly nasty little bud worm. So far I have two outdoor plants, moxie alpine og and golden cobra. both seeds were planted directly in the raised beds, and sprouted a while ago but are somewhat stunted by cold weather. I'm not thrilled with the genetics of these plants, theyre heavily worked polyhybrids but the company (moxie 710 dispensary in la) promises %25 extractability of resin by total volume.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Thanks a lot. This is all very interesting. Would you happen to have pictures of your two outdoor plants?

• Like Like x 1