State Dept. confirms $400 million Iran payment conditioned on hostage release

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AugustWest, Aug 19, 2016.

1. State Dept.: $400M cash shipment to Iran tied to U.S. prisoners' release

I'm sure CNN will brush it off as no big deal.. but it's a pretty huge deal that we paid ransom in cash to Iran in exchange for hostages.
    Will be interesting to watch the media scramble as this goes along. More than likely they'll focus on something stupid that Trump said..
    This move is disgraceful to say the least.

• Like Like x 3
  2. indeed man..

been a while.. hope you are well dude.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks brother. I hope this time around you will linger around a bit longer. A lot of us look forward to your posts.
    What did you mean by 'this move is disgraceful'?

• Like Like x 1
  4. yeah dude.. for sure. I miss you guys :)

"this move" being the pallets of cash that were delivered in the middle of the night on an unmarked airliner to Iran in exchange for American hostages. Something we would have never known about if that dude from WSJ didn't break the story
    in my opinion it's disgraceful.

• Like Like x 3
  5. And the hostages? No sympathy? thats not very nice. I know they were soldiers. But still. You realize, a lot worse shit could have went down if that exchange didnt happen, enough trigger happy boys on both sides who would have liked to use that as an excuse for all out war. ( Or you know what ever extent Iran is capable of). And that would have cost a bit more than 400 mill and some hostages.

6. of course I have sympathy for the hostages and their families whether soldiers or not.. but it's a long standing rule that you do not pay ransom. It opens the door for other countries to kidnap Americans if they know we'll pay them. (even Obama mentioned that )
    Plus it's Iran.. who knows where $400 million in CASH will wind up and how many deaths it may contribute to. (I know that's speculation, but I doubt all of that $400 mil will go to schools, hospitals and infrastructure)

Ben Swann w/ the reality..

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wow
    This sets a precedent now as AW pointed out.

That's a lorry load of $$$...

Hey AW :wave:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Maybe so, but what were alternative options?

9. yeah man all shrink wrapped Swiss Franc, and Euro. I'm sure they have shovel ready infrastructure jobs oplanned for this money :p

Smokin! how are you my friend? Long time no see dude.. glad you're still kicking on here :)

not sure.. maybe special forces? work a deal with Israel to send their guys in?
    Personally I'm not well versed enough in this sort of thing... but ransom is really bad.
    Like Obama said, we have hostages all over the world... and i bet their families are gonna be pretty pissed off at this news.

• Like Like x 2

10. These chaps were obviously spooks of some type so they could/should have bartered with the Iranians.

I am sure that a carrot of some sort - trade, etc would have had the same desired effect.

The hostages must have had some serious leverage to force the US to cough up.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I think it was an election season stunt.. to magically bring these guys home.
    Then that damn media went and spoiled it for him.

• Like Like x 3
  12. I agree, they went about this the wrong way. That being said, that money is due to them from a deal back in the 70/80s. I just don't understand why they did it the way they did and now it just paints a bad picture.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I understand what that money is supposedly for.. but the state dept basically confirmed that we gave the money for those hostages release. Which I have to imagine breaks out own sanctions that we imposed on Iran.
    so if that's the case, then have an ally country wire the money in whatever currency they prefer. At least then it's not mountains of cash that can wind up in who knows who's hands.

also this regime is not the same regime we made that deal with.

a hypothetical if you don't mind.

lets say that we made some sort of similar deal with Germany in the 20's or 30's. Then hitler comes into power and wants that money.
    do we give it to him?

• Like Like x 2
  14. while this story was breaking, CNN and NBC were going on about Trump and his new campaign staff with their round table of Clinton staffers.. and not a peep about one of the biggest scandals in our lifetimes.

FOX reported on it, but in a crazy weird Foxy kind of way.. but they did mention it at least.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Joe Scarborough gave it appropriate attention on MSNBC but he said all along the money was ransom. It's funny the Obama admin is still saying this wasn't paying ransom and at the same time they're telling us they used the money as leverage to encourage Iran to release those hostages....which is what paying ransom means.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Yip.

I bet undesirables all over the world are looking at this and thinking an American is worth 100,000,000...

Jeez I'd nearly chance it for that. What you reckon I kidnap you man and we split the ransom?

• Like Like x 3
  17. Not to mention, since there's still an active sanction on Iran, we couldn't give them American dollars, so we gave them European currency instead. Unmarked plane. Foreign currency. Suspicious as fuck.

• Like Like x 5
  18. hey ed.. :)

yeah saw that this AM! I couldn't believe my ears when he said it.
    That's something you don't hear on NBC too often.

depends..

how much weed you got?

• Like Like x 3
  19. Plenty..

Hell for that kind of money I'll blow you and all man.
    :passing-joint:

• Like Like x 3