starting with seeds.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Nightfall Shadow, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Do I need to keep the seeds in light all the time? I know when you are doing clones they need a min of at least 18 hours of light when they don't have roots. Are seeds the same?
    Also, will my seeds still start if I don't start them off in water to get their tap roots started first?

• Like Like x 1
  2. They don't need light until the sprout emerges.

I start my seeds straight in the dirt. I water the dirt and make sure it doesn't get too dry before they sprout.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I start mine in a wet paper towel/plastic bag until they germinate, and then put it in the medium. You don't need lights but I run mine anyways to keep the heat up and I keep em covered with plastic to get the humidity high.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. The actual trigger for most cannabis strains is 14.5.
    At 15 hours of light per day they veg.
    At 14 and below they flower.

Seedlings are immature and not light aware for about the first month so lighting them is not that critical.
    Clones are adults at any size and will flower at 1 inch tall if the hours of light are to short.

Seeds start just fine straight in soil.

BNW

5. you dont have to give them a 24hr soak bath before putting them into the dirt, however the soak bath raises the probability that you will have success in sprouting. you also dont have to use a paper towel and baggie. It may take two weeks for a sprout to emerge without a 24hr soak and paper towel method. making impatient people question if they have a good seed or not sometimes destroying their grow checking for a sprout. the soak and paper towel method gets you started in 3 to 4 days in stead of 2 weeks or more which is why that process is preferred. light doesnt penetrate the ground so light isnt needed until the sprout emerges however heat and humidity are a must to ensure the best chance of success for a tap root. then i like to keep my humidity 70% or so then drop it by 5% weekly or as my plants suggest until i reach around 40% and i take that through harvest.