Starting the gym today.

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by fvckweed, May 27, 2015.

1. I recently quit for a little and am taking a t break to get started with going to the gym. My problem is gaining weight and muscle, not losing it. Any tips for going there for the first time? I used to work out God knows how long ago. Kinda nervous. Any tips are appreciated

2. Start light and stick with compound lifts for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. What he said.

Focus on form not weight. Do core work too.

Need a solid base to build on.

4. What those two said. I would also add that it is important to make it fun or you'll struggle to keep going. And it isn't fun when you over-do it. Better to go and do a super light workout than to skip it because it's a torture for you.

5. If you're looking to put on weight, the right diet can do wonders

6. #6 papabull, May 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2015
    True dat!

You can completely change your body and life in just 6 weeks if you follow the beer and pizza diet plan to the letter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. Everyone in here has given good advice.  Here is my 2 cents.  https://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/forget-steroids-5-fullbody-workouts-for-serious-gains.html

The link above has some workouts for people new to the gym.  If you click the workout, it will show you to a page to where you can watch a video of the specific workout being performed.

Do not be afraid of full body workouts.  I perform them and they have done wonders for me.  Since you are starting back in the gym, use the basic workouts that are listed in the link. 

As long as you perform the workout with correct form and low weight, you will be fine.  This is also a good M/W/F routine as well.

Good luck to you and be sure to tell us how it goes.

8. Work out your core and legs hard, a solid foundation for lifting is important. Diet is really essential also, as well as enough sleep every night and not too much stress in your life. stay consistent and the results will come

9. #9 Bob Barker, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2015
    WARM UP!

Do atleast a 5 minute jog on the treadmill and dynamic stretching(moving/swinging). After the workout static stretch.

Like others said start out light and work your way up while focusing on A+++++ form. Control the weights during movements. 

10. Great idea for keeping yourself safe and sound.

11. Thank for aticle ! I do laps in our local Olympic sized swimming pool 5 to 6 days per week and want to add training three times a week at home . I searching trainer for to engage more muscle groups one of this But I dont like run so its should ll be not treadmill.