Starting seeds in rockwool?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by jking172, Jun 15, 2011.

1. I've already germinated in cheese paper and the seeds have sprouted. Could some one just walk me thru the steps until moving cubes into hydroton? I've got the cubes, tray, and a dome. I was told to put sprouted seeds into rockwool cubes, wet them, have a little bit of water (no nutes) in bottom of tray wait till seedlings sprout and roots come out the side of the cubes, then put into mesh pots with hydroton? Am I missing ANYTHING? HA I want To go Into this grow with no doubts that I'm taking the right steps, thanks

2. honestly i just tryed rockwool cubes and they arent as reliable as putting them in a small red cup and soil then just transplant them to your hydro system once they are decent size and have a root system.

3. #3 ndz4shz, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2011
    I'm a big fan of the cubes. You wanna soak the cubes for about 30 seconds in water that is ph'd to about 5.5 put the seed in the hole in the cube tap root down. careful not to damage the tap root. I only put mine about seed deep. I can still see the thing in the hole. Yes keep a little water in the tray and mist the dome. I also keep my tray on a seedling heat mat. Here is where I differ from most people, I do put them under light right away even though they don't need it. but that's just me. Also, I've never seen roots coming out of the sides of my cubes with seeds, only clones. With seeds, the root will poke out of the bottom of the cube. As soon as I see that I put them in the hydroton.
    You pretty much got it down in your post, I just do a few things different. Hope this helps

4. Thanks for the help!

5. I would soak them in a lower ph water (5.5) for 24 hours. Rockwool has a ph of around ten.. soak them while you germinate your seeds overnight