Starting out, need some guidence

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Maurice420, Jan 27, 2009.

1. I am starting to plan out my first grow and have been doing extensive research on the assorted strategies and environments in which to grow marijuana. I have purchased a book entitled "The best of Ask Ed" and am starting to get a real idea of what to expect. For this project I am going to be well funded and wish to do things correctly. I plan to have three chambers of growth, one for my young clones, veg, and flower. I have gotten the idea to purchase an "Ebb and Grow" (ebb and flow/rockwool) hydroponic system, as well as an EZ Clone for propagation. I have purchased a 350 watt mh lamp for my veg and am looking at 1000w hps lamp for flowering. For CO2 i hear that girbles will produce enough for plants to thrive (cruel?). I am planning on purchasing 2-4 carbon filters and a ventalation system (venting into a room). My question to you all is what kind of strain should I look for? I can grow about 1-2m. Also is my strategy efficient? And temperature control, what do you guys do? Cloning solution favorites and nutrient favorites? Looking for some good literature also. Getting really excited, this is something I have always wanted to do. Will appreciate any feedback and am planning to post and hopefully recieve feedback throughout my first grow.

Thanks guys,
    Inexperienced Grower-

2. Freakin' gerbils? Hmmmmmm.......shakin' my head in disbelief.

3. Is this not an effective way or is it cruel?

4. #4 Maurice420, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2009
    Also today I purchased a 400 watt HPS lamp with ballast and reflector (70 bucks from a friend brand new). Seems to work fine. I have decided to undertake a smaller project first, using soil (3 pots miracle grow organic and garden liquid nutrients 12-4-8) in a 2x3 space. My question is, how far from the tiny plants does my hps light (18/6?) need to be at first and second if i was to use cfls at first how many?
    Thanks all...

5. You mean have gerbils in the grow space and their exhaled breath will provide the plants a noticeably higher C02 level? Never heard of that.

Otherwise sounds like you are getting a nice setup together. I always recommend Northern Lights or a NL cross for first-timers who want to buy genetics rather than use bagseed. NL is hardy, potent, stays relatively short, and some phenotypes are low odor.

For baby sprouts you want to keep that HID a good distance away, I would say start at about 3 feet and gradually bring it closer. CFLs don't have the light intensity or heat of HIDs, they can be 4-6 inches away from baby sprouts and eventually as close as possible without actually touching the plant.

6. In this all-knowing book about marijuana it suggests using girbles for increased CO2. How many cfl's (and wattage and kind) will I need to get through the veg stage with 3 plants?

7. I also have an aerogarden light (one bulb) that i could use for veg, or would 2-3 cfl's be better?

8. you should also wire a battery and your lights to the gerbil's wheel for power, YA BABY.

9. if you've done extensive research, then you wouldn't be using miracle grow products.
    there are 100 posts in here warning against it!

10. I have done extensive research on the method of hydroponic growing, but have not done alot of research on soil. Why should i not use miracle grow products? It is not the garden soil or potting soil. It is the organic compost and states that it will grow flowers and vegetables.

11. Good idea... resourceful :smoking:

12. Question about lighting... If i am to use CFL's (for veg), how many and what kind (can i get them at homedepot?) will i need to grow? If i decided to use my 400w hps, how long should i leave it on for (18/6?)?

-Using seeds from buddy, claims they were found in hydroponic and very good outdoor sacks.
    -Seeds are in germination pods, looking about 2 1/2 days in, no sign of life from them yet.
    -When i get some life and a set-up going, I will start posting pictures and am really hoping for some feedback as i go, like i said before this tiny grow is just practice, a way to learn before i invest.

13. #13 Maurice420, Jan 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2009
    I am also wondering how you calculate an estimate for yields. I have heard an average of 1.5g/watt, any truth? And also i am gonna invest in some better fertilizers. Any suggestions on brand or regiment?

14. 1.5g/watt would be well above average.

15. Actually i miss quoted, i meant to put 1/2-3/4g per watt. Is this a close estimate?

16. I used bag seeds from a friend for my first try at aerogarden growing and they sprouted but didn't grow anywhere near as well as the ones I purchased from a bank,

17. which bank is a good? not worried about anything when you order them?

Patriot act:(

18. Attitude w/stealth shipping and a prepaid credit card from my local grocery store worked for me. Shipped to me but could go to a PO box. Comes in thru NY so less chance of getting "found".

19. Here are some pics of my crop. Would love suggestions!

-3 1/2 days from seed, they are about an inch and a half tall which is worrying me that they do not have enough light from the aerogardens florescent bulb.
    - wrapped the garden with tin foil, is this a good idea (seems to have enough ventalation, is not getting hot)?
    -I am planning to get shorter pots that are a little wider.
    - i got new fertilizers, one is a general purpose fertilizer with the precentages of 8-7-6 for veg and 2-7-7 for the later stages of flowering.
    - my problem is heat, as you can see i am working in a very small space and fear that once the hps bulb is on, it will raise the temperature significantly, there will only be about 14 inches from the bottom of the light to the cannopy when full grown, hence the shorter pots to buy me some space.
    - working with what i got, ill have more pics in a couple day, and maybe ill start the hps tommoro, but certainly by the weekend.
    -also i know it looks unorganized in there, but do not worry, tommoro im making my way to the local hardware store where im gonna get some tie downs and mounts to save me a little space.
    -now im gonna sit down and smoke a dubi :smoking:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. As expected the florescent did not produce enough light, so i turned on the hps and re set up the op. It seems that the temperature is too high, any suggestions?