Starting my first grow

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Takeadab420, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Hey GC!

Im reposting this in a new forum to get more feedback

So starting next week or so I plan to begin setting up my grow room. I live in New York in an apartment not too worried about smell etc due to the things I will be purchasing. I have done lots and lots of research so I think I'm ready. I just wanted to know from experts/people with more experience if my setup is on the right track or not so bare with me!

My walk in closet is pretty big so I was planning on buying a 5x5x7 grow tent (keep in mind all the things I'm about to mention are sitting in an online shopping cart ready to be purchased once I hear some feedback:))

- 1000w dimmable HPS/MH aircool w/glass screen
    - 6in inline with carbon scrubber
    - Fox Farm trio nutrients pack
    - 1/5 gallon pots (10 each)
    - dehumidifier
    - oscillating fans
    - soil Fox farms (purchased)
    - temp/humidity gauge
    - seeds (purchased)

I plan on running my light/exhaust like this:
    Filter>>>ducting>>>hood>>>fan>>>outside(into closet)

So there you have it!

A few more q's

1. Should I get a separate 4in/6in inline for my intake or should I let the negative pressure do all the work?

2. What should my ambient temp be so I won't effect the in-tent temps.

3. Can I exhaust my hot air into the closet and not have to worry? This is why I wanted another fan I could put right outside the door of closet so it won't be sucking hot air.

Additional info:

Seeds: blackberry kush
    I do have air conditioning that I can run at all times.

Well, if you have stuck around this far thanks for reading any info/feedback welcome thanks guys!!

Edit: if I can have an estimate yield I know this is my first so I'm not expecting the best results thanks again

cheers!

2. Whats up. Id say use the negative pressure and keeps the outside temps in the low 70s. Venting into the closet will cause heat problems so you could vent it into another room and work on keeping thay room cool or if possible, vent it outside.

3. Are you on the top floor of the apartment or near the outside? Thing about apartments is its harder to make holes and what not. You can but it's risky.

4. Hey thanks for the reply man! So basically I'm on the bottom floor I was going to exhaust into the thee room that had the closet in it (bedroom) also I got 5 seeds and 10 feeebies from the site I ordered from you think it's smart to plant them together or is there risk of Bruce jenners?

Also do you think, since I have a 1000w if I should get a small clone/seed started kit with t5 bulbs?
    That would also keep the freebies separate in their early stages

5. #6 Jsen, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2015
    Off to a good start. Good water is more important than good nutes. Do you plan to use tap/distilled/reverse osmosis/etc? I'd highly recommend a *pH meter and TDS meter with temp like these* and possibly a small RO water system (~$150). You should test your source water for pH and test a batch of water will a full dose of nutes to see what your pH is to determine if you need pH up/down chemicals. Having clean water prevents issues and having the tools to test and keep track of your water more accurately will help greatly in diagnosing and solving and problems that undeniably will occur.

I started my seeds under 600w MH @ 50% without any problem. I'm sure you'd be fine with your light a few feet away, too, as long as you check 3 times a day and keep humidity up the first few weeks.
    The filter will get most of the smell out, but your place will still smell like PLANTS a few weeks in. Some people get a little paranoid when they have nothing in their apartment but a couch and tv and the place smells like a fresh garden.

IME tent temps will be 5-10 degrees higher than outside temps with good ventilation. Keep the intake room under 75 and you'll be fine, a little lower would be better.

If you bought auto/feminized seeds don't bother planting regular/mystery seeds with them at the same time for your first grow. I'm finding it quite helpful (first time grower here, too) to have 2 strains growing side-by-side to see how they react. I feel that more than 2 or 3 strains would have left me confused a few times.

*A tool like this* helped me get a feel for how wet my soil actually is since my fox farms & perlite reacts much differently than the house plant miracle-gro I'm used to. Sometimes my topsoil feels wet when really its bone dry underneath. Some soils (like FF) can get hydrophobic after a while and drain really weird causing dry pockets in your pots, so just watch for that.

As far as yield goes, the goal is 1g/watt. Yield will vary greatly by strain and skill, of course. A rough guesstimate for your crop might be 300g for a poor crop, but I would expect at least 500g if they're kept healthy and perky.