Starting My First Grow I Have Lots Of Questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by basketballdude, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Hey guys i'm starting my first grow inside a work shop in my house. I was going to use a 1000W light for 6 plants. The room is 11.5 ft. long, 6 ft. wide and about 7.5 ft. high. The work shop is set-up like this:

[--]...................................]......Y3]
    [--]......GROW.....................].........]
    [--]X1...ROOM.....................].........]
    [--]...................................].........]
    [--]........Y1.......................]..........]
    [--]--------------------------].........]
    [--]Y2......................................... X3
    [--]..............................................]
    [--]X2...........................................]
    [--]..............................................]X4
    [--]..............................................]X5
    [--].........................................Y4_]

X= WINDOW
    Y= DOOR

So basically on the left there is a walkway the grow room has a window the grow is on the 1st floor and above it is a deck where the my tenants are. So basically I just had some questions:

1. I plan on using a charcoal filter and small containers of vinegar to mask the smell as much as I can but would my tenants/neighbours still be able to smell it?

2. Police helicopters looking for heat is also a concern. Since the work shop is underneath a deck would that allow the police to find a heat signature?

3. To supply in C02 I am going to open either window X3 or X4 (right side of workshop diagram) to supply in C02 and use the window on X1 (left part of diagram in grow room) and have an extractor fan. The window is about: length 25-30 inches wide, 20-25 inches high and is one of those that slides open side to side. The X3 and X4 windows lead to a suite downstairs, in the suite I would open up doors and window to supply in C02. X5 leads to the upper suite where the tenants are. Should that be enough air flow and would that work?

4. I'm also concerned running that much power and equipment of some kind of electrical fire. Of course in the first 2 weeks when the lights are on 24/0 I won't be able to stay at my house 24/7. Will all that equipment be OK if I leave the house like that is there a big risk of a fire?

5. Should I use white polyester mylar or should i just paint the walls white? Either would be possible i'm looking to mask the smell and get the highest yield possible. I understand paint is better but mylar masks the smell a bit more?

I am trying to get AS MUCH AS I POSSIBLY CAN in the shortest amount of time possible (3 months ideally). The strain is Northern Lights #5: Flowering takes 6-8 weeks, Height 100-150 cm (5 feet), Yield is up to 125 grams. Here are all the supplies I plan on purchasing:

- Mylar or white paint
    - Charcoal Filter
    - High output extractor fan
    - 1 HPS 1000 W light with china hat (???)
    - 1-2 oscilating fan
    - Fertilizer NPK ratio 20-10-10, 10-8-5
    - 6 Peat moss pots
    - plastic
    - fire extinguisher
    - 6 pots (5 gallon)
    - Thermometer
    - Digital pH meter
    - EC meter
    - flowering fertilizer PK 13/14 during 6th week of flowering
    - lighting timer
    - smoke detector
    - de-humidifier
    - c02 generator: I plan on buying the one with the rubber tubing that goes around the room and sprays C02 on the plants but i'm still not sure if I should buy one or not

* I also heard Carbonated Water will do a good job of giving your plants C02 and I should be able to get a big supply of it if needed. Has anyone heard that?

I hope that makes sense. I would REALLY appreciate any kind of comments, suggestions or anything else I don't want to screw this up and I can't think of a better place than here for help. Thanks alot :)

EDIT: Sorry about the diagram it keeps getting screwed up i hope someone can make sense of that and still help me out.

2. Dude, tenants above the grow would be risky. are they cool?

3. Yeah I know it would be risky but like I said its underneath a sun deck which is upstairs so technically they will only be above it if they are outside on the deck. I could use white mylar, polyester, plastic on the walls/floors, charcoal filter fan, containers of vinegar to all mask the smell do you think they would be able to smell it?

And i'm not sure yet if they're cool because they haven't moved in yet this seems like the best idea for me right now. Either that or use a townhouse/condo but wouldn't that be even riskier? I was told a grow room in a townhouse/condo wouldn't be much of a risk but I would think a house would be a better idea I would only have to worry about a couple tenants as opposed to a condo or townhome where there's tons of people.

The tenants have no access to the work shop at all i'm going to seal off window X5 so they can't open the window or look through it. The walkway on the side will have a dog patrolling. Door Y4 is barricaded and nearly impossible to open. There's a locked steel door in Y3 and another locked wooden door for the grow room. I could also put on those rubber seals on the bottom of the doors to mask the smell even more if I had to.

What about my supplies is there anything else I would need? Can anyone else answer the rest of the questions for me as well? Thanks alot guys.