Starting my first grow, advice welcomed

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Sticky b, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello fellow Blades. I am just a few weeks out from getting up and running. I have been spending quite a bit of time doing my research but I always appreciate help.
    So to star things off I plan on building two of these boxes and running one as a veg and the the other as a flower cab.
    Grow Box Tutorial Page 1

For my veg cab I plan on using T-5 flouros
    For the flower cab I'm going to run a cooled 600w HPS
    The plan is to use soil and SCROG.
    I live in Nor Cal and have plenty of friends willing to start me some clones and right now my selection is Purple Urkel, Master Kush, Mr Nice, OG Kush, and maybe some Caramalicious.
    :wave::smoking::D

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thats a sick tutorial you got there. Sounds good, all I gotta say is veg em with a MH if your goona have a box that tall, you can grow some biggins sir.

3. hope it goes well bro :)

4. thats a great tutorial.

i would make the box a little deeper. but im just nitpicking

good job doing your homework...props to you

5. Actually I'm going to make it 4' x 4' and I plan on putting this in the veg box
    Sunleaves :: Sunleaves Pioneer VIII Grow
    The 8 bulb model of course :smoke:
    I want to try SCROG and set it up with supports for the screen at the same level in each box so that way they can be moved from one box to the other with minimal effort/ stress on them.
    that way I can keep a continuous grow :D.
    I'm thinking of running up to 9 plants at a time in 3 gallon smart pots. At the grow shop today these nutrients were suggested any thoughts?
    Cutting Edge Solutions
    Again thanks all in advance for your help, bear with me as this thread might be slow to start but I'm hoping to make a simple clean efficient setup and document it well for others to use.

6. Well the only problem with a scrog is how difficult they are to move after they get going. You have to be careful not to break any branches.
    Are you going to have two rooms?
    If so what about having two separate systems?

7. Is there a mod out there that can help mw with my account. I'm sticky banana but I tried to update my email on that account and in the process I've locked it up. I have sent two emails to GC with no reply. Any help would be greatly appreciated

8. Is there a mod out there that can help mw with my account. I'm sticky banana but I tried to update my email on that account and in the process I've locked it up. I have sent two emails to GC with no reply. Any help would be greatly appreciated

9. Thanks to whoever fixed my account. I have started assembling my grow box and should be up and running in a week or so. I will take some pics soon.

10. #10 Pumbasa Mufasa, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2011
    Oooh sheeeett!! :D
    I can just tell when a grow is gonna be good, even before it's started.
    Btw, awesome tutorial. Thanks for spreading the info. Cant wait to see some pics.

I agree with Danyul. MH does vegging very well. With those dimensions, you should get an MH in there.
    During flowering, 600W HPS sounds very nice. But I recommend throwing in some 2700K Cfls around the potential bud sites as well.

11. Don't over water .Let that soil get a bit dry before watering .

12. Thanks for all the tips. I did think about MH for veg but I live in Far Nor Cal and heat is a big concern. As I really want to flower with HPS I'm using the cooler running flouros. I got the 4 ft 8 bulb light which is about 430 watts output Plus I can use the upper area of the veg room as a mother/ clone room. I may not try scrog the first time out but when I do I plan on making a system that will be able to stand on it's own and be able to pull out screen/ plants and all and plug into the flower side.
    Pics
    1 the area on the side of my garage where box will sit
    2 some supplies
    3 box. Still needs more work but each side is 4x3x6

Attached Files:

13. Shit I need to delete that account won't log in on it when I'm high

14. I've decided to use Roots Organics for my nutes. I'm starting out simple using their three parts system with Buddha grow, Buddha bloom, and Trinity for micronutrients. I'm also using their greenfields potting mix. I have nine 3 gal smart pots which I will place on a screened support for good air movement around the roots.
    I will be wrapping the cab build up this week, pics soon I promise.
    Till then smoke on. Some tasty Casey Jones from local disp

Attached Files:

15. Updates
    I got the rest of my supplies. A 600 watt HPS, carbon filter and fan.
    Still figuring out mounting and in the one pic you can see wall fan is above the light but I want to be able to drop the light down all the way. I figure with the doors on the air hitting them will bounce back at the plants. Plus I can add small computer fans down low. Also you can barely see the carbon filter hanging behind the shelf. That will be ducted through the light and out the top. I'm going to place a couple of 4" PVC light traps in middle wall so air from flower room can pass through to the filter.
    Thoughts?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Also here's my choices of clones that my buddy already has started. Thoughts on a good one or two for a first grow.
    Purple kush
    Grandaddy purp
    Hindu diesel
    Snowcap
    Cali orange or maybe orange kush he can't remember which one

17. Ok so I'm officially a proud poppa.
    My buddy brought some clones over but as usual when dealing with stoners he lost some of the clones to root mildew or something so instead of 9 he brought 4 this week and 5 more smaller ones next week. These ones have some yellow tips and I didn't get to chose, but hey they were free.
    Pics or it didn't happen
    The two on the left are purple urkle and on the right is a grandaddy purp and a white rhino.
    I still have to build a screened floor for them to sit up on so the air can move all the way around and the roots can air prune on the bottom as well.
    Also has anyone heard of a cross between chocalope and blue dream called "black"
    My friend has a mom that he will sell for $20 I'm thinking I might get it what the hell

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  18. So it's been a couple days now and girls are starting settle in after transplant. I've been having trouble with humidity running low. It's been between 20 & 45% so I added pan of water to evaporate and this am it was 60%
    sorry about pics only have my phone camera
    I picked up this moisture and pH meter from the shop for 50$ this way I don't have to guess about watering and the pH. The brand on this is control wizard. You just shove in soil and wait 10 minutes then check your pH

Attached Files:

19. I had a few small problems over the last few days. I started a new thread to get some quick help and as usual folks here at GC were helpful. Thanks all
    Anyways I had problems with the air coming in was directly hitting the plants and dried them out quick and then when I checked the Ph with the handy new meter I thought Ph was low (5.6) but the soil was just not damp enough to get a good Ph reading. Luckily I figured it out before I dud anything to adjust Ph. I ended up feeding and Ph now stable at 6.4. I do have some yellow leaves I think due to low Nitrogen
    I put a board in front of intakes to deflect the incoming air. Now just to figure out how ti control temp ranges but since I am drawing air from outside environment it's hard to control mother nature, but keeping my big fan running 24/7 ( that's the other mistake I made in only running it occasionally) is helping.
    I tried to attach photos but I already posted them in the other thread so I will direct you there instead.
    It's in the indoor grow section
    Need help with sick babies. Pics included

20. Update.
    I finally got around to making a screened floor. These shots ate about to hours after feeding. They seem to be recovering nicely after the stress last week. The new tops are growing like gangbusters. I love coming home from work to see them looking happy.
    I'm thinking of vegging until there about 12-18 inches so I still have a little while as they're not quite 6 inches yet

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.