Starting indoors then moving outdoors

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by robertjones88, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Just to let you know, I am very new to this and this and forums in general and is my first post here. Anyway, I'm planning on starting my plants indoors inside of a wooden table in my room. I'm not sure what to call it but it is a table on top and you can lift the top to put things inside like a chest. The space is 22 inches wide by 14 inches long by about 18 inches deep. I'm ordering 10 super silver haze feminized seeds (greenhouse seed co) from seedsman.com and I'm getting 2 free seeds. I am hoping that 8-10 of the 12 germinate and grow. I'm starting the seeds in solo cups and I think two rows of 5 solo cups would be perfect for the space I am growing in. After about 2 weeks or so I am transplanting into a bit larger pots and moving them outdoors. For those two weeks, what kind of light should I use? I was thinking about using two 20w cfl tubes cool white and lining the plants up into two lines (one line for each light). Tips? Advice on anything else about my grow? Once the plants are outdoor, I know how to handle them from there (Nutes, soil, ph of water, pest control, etc: I got it)

2. you can start them indoors then once they get about 12 inches put them outside

3. That's about what I figured. My only dilemma is what kind of light I should have inside from seedling until I transplant to outside.

4. #4 Saluki, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2016
    From what I've read you need to keep them on a light cycle that will be he same as when you transplant them outdoors. For example, let's say you're moving outdoors on May 1st, you should lookup the length of day for your area and run your lights at that same length of day. I'm actually doing just that. For my area it's 16 hrs of daylight on May 1st so I have my timers set to 16/8. Doing a light schedule of 20/4 or 18/6 right now could possibly cause them to go into flowering when you transplant outdoors and then revert back to veg getting them all screwed up. You can use CFL's for your lighting if you're wanting to go the cheap route. They wont row as fast as a heavy duty light but will still be better than starting from seed when the temperatures are right.
    Also, when transplanting outside you need to slowly adjust your plants to the natural sunlight. Maybe a week or 2 before moving outdoors you could start bringing them outside for a few hours a day gradually increasing the exposure to natural sunlight.

5. #5 robertjones88, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2016
    Yeah I have read about trying to start the plants at the same schedule as the sun and gradually exposing them into the sunlight, but I just need to know what the best light to use would be. I don't need a big, expensive grow light, I just need a light that would cover 6-8 plants while they are starting indoors. Money is not a problem, but I don't need to waste it. What kind of bulb does it sound like I need and how many watts, lumens, etc? Also, the light and fixture must fit inside of a 15x22x20 inch space