Starting from scratch

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by kxrxh, Apr 23, 2015.

1. #1 kxrxh, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2015
    Hello, im interested in growing one autoflower plant and have only figured out i want to plant a Northern Light flower from Royal Queen seeds and use a HomeBox Evolution Q30 tent

I was wondering if anyone would be so kind and help me put together the rest?

- What sort of lighting would be best suited for that space? im thinking about a 50W UFO LED, but not sure if its overkill?

- What vent would be nice? 

- What carbon filter would be nice, or is a DIY filter better for this particular tent?

- What pot size should i use to maximize yield?

- What soil should i use as a beginner?

- Can I just use water from seed to flower, or do I actually need nutrients? If I need nutrients, can you tell me which ones are absolutely necessary?

Like i said, i am only planning on having one plant, so I don't want any overkill accessories for the tent, but something that “scales” well with a single plant.

I live in central europe, so shops that are within the EU are appreciated, so i dont have to deal with import charges [​IMG]

Any help is appreciated. 

2. do you want us to grow it, harvest it, and smoke it for you too??

do some reading, browse the stickied threads[​IMG]

No that was not the idea :)
    Ive read through various posts regarding growing autos, but im still having trouble connecting the right accesories for the growing tent, and thats why im posting here.

4. Check this section: http://forum.grasscity.com/micro-grows/

There are quite a few experienced growers with micro grow journals on the front page, I'd give them a good read and post a separate thread for questions. Check out Loki's journal, he's got 185 followers because he knows his shit. It's not a long read, 20 something pages.

5. #5 SleeveOfWizard, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2015
    Something 50cm x 50cm x 125cm would be a good size for a single plant.
    For how much that tent costs, I could go to the hardware store, buy enough plywood and boards to build 3 cabinets the same size, and still have money leftover to fill them with lights..
    You could build a box that big for about $25 if you have access to a drill and a saw

Dont go with a 50w LED unless youre planning on spending 200 or more. I say just start with 4 regular CFL bulbs when its just a seedling, and later on, upgrade to a 300w HPS, or just add 4 more CFLs.

Build your own carbon filter, you can get active carbon from pet stores for pretty cheap. Just remember it has to be changed out occasionally as the carbon degrades.

Use a standard 5 gallon bucket for a pot, but drill drainage holes in the bottom, and have something under it to catch overflowing water.

You can basically use water from seed to flower if you have good soil, then just add nutes if you see signs of deficiencies.

As far as soil, I'm not sure what brands are available in the EU, but go to a garden store (not a hardware store) and ask about soil for tomatoes. If it works well for tomatoes, it works well for weed.
    But dont use that soil to plant the seed in. But at the garden store, they should have dirt specifically for seedlings, that has no added nutrients. So just use that in a small cup at the start, then once the plant is about 10cm tall, transplant it into your bucket full of potting soil. 

6. Thanks a lot for your informative posts :)