starting first grow need strain advice

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by twinlesstwin, Dec 26, 2008.

1. I have a 4 X 4 X 10 closet that has been begging me to grow good buds in it. I am wondering what strain to purchase and how many I can realistically grow in this amount of space.

Oh and what is the general sensuous to auto flowering and feminized seeds?

Off to bake and plow snow ;):smoke:

2. If that room has enough exhaust you could do 600 or even 1000 watt with a max of 8-10 plants I would think. Auto flowering strains generally get lower yields all other things being equal, then a regular strain. Some of them also can't be cloned. Feminized seeds are great but they are expensive and some growers find that they tend to hermie easier than non femed seeds. I have never had a problem.

3. I use fem'd seeds and ive not had a problem yet either. Ive only just learned about some auto flowering strains not being able to be cloned. That sounds like a major blow to me! I have space so I'll be sticking with non auto's, fem'd seeds and cloning.

4. We need more info.

How many plants do you intend to grow.

What kind of light do you have or plan to use?

Indica or sativa?

Like SmoknVtec said, auto flowering plants are inferior. You can just put you plants under a timer and your set.

Personally I like to only grow regular seeds. They are the most stable. But, if you have the money and the strain you want only comes Fem. then I say go for it as long as you have a stable environment and have a good amount of knowledge about growing.

5. I can exhaust into the attic space and pull fresh air in from the room if it's not noisy. I do not want any smell in my house unless I open the door so some sort of scrubber needs to be used. I want to grow indica or hybrid and I'm not sure how many I can grow in that space. I would like the highest yield though.

The times I've grown regular seeds I ended up with monster plants and back then we had no internet to learn from plus I had more grow space. Will four hundred HPS be too much wattage for that size of closet (heat)? I used to use metal halide and then swapped to HPS for flowers. Thanks and peace

6. Umm read my first reply. You can go 400-1000 watts with 6-10 plants respectively depending on if you use exhaust.

7. Thanks and do you know the size exhaust I will need? Illustrations maybe? :wave:

8. With a 600, I'd go with two computer fans on the bottom and two on top. Then just a small tabletop fan blowing across the plants.

the intake on the bottom side. the exhaust on top since heat travels up. look up some of the carbon scrubbers. You can make a good one under 20.

9. Or since it is 160 sq ft a 256 cfm fan should cover it great.

10. A space 4´ X 4´ X 10´ has a volume of 160 CUBIC feet.

11. My bad it is cubic feet and thats what needs to be cleared. So a 182 CFM fan or whatever is closest to 160 should cut it.

12. A carbon scrubber will reduce airflow a little, so it's OK to go over on the CFMs.

13. Always go bigger then you need, this gives you some control and will help when temps need adjusting, also if your venting into the attic, attach it to the roof vent or the gable vent, just dumping into the attic may cause mold up there, you dont want that,, The air leaving the grow area is humid...

14. How would altitude of almost 9000 feet effect growth?

15. Dang now that's high up there. I know above 7000 I can start to feel it and by 14,500 ft and under exertion I was getting hypoxic. However like humans I imagine they can adapt to it. I thought I read of strains that are indigenous to the Himalayas. Maybe one of them is Himalayan Gold I don't remember but anyway, lets us know how it does and what your findings are.