starting construction on deep freeze

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Tazmanian216, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Hello to the grass city community,

I am starting on setting up my deep freezer as a perpetual all in one unit with SOG flood table being optimal with the height restriction. Plan on makin 1 or 2 moms, bonsai in soil and 2 buble cloners and a couple of bubble buckets for vegging, taking up approx 1/2 the freezer, then have a flood flowering room for the other half, packed with single colas

the internal measurements are 16"x48"x36" tall, split in exactly 1/2 for veg, mom and clones on one side and flowering on the other.

Im looking to get approx 2 ozs every 6 weeks...

A little FYI, I am an experienced grower with many successfull harvests under my belt. Just looking to downsize a little for personal consumption only....

Need some advice for where to place what lights as i have a lot of options...

2 - 70w HPS (obviously flowering chamber)
    6 - 13w CFL (im thinkin of using these for clones or for support in flowering chamber for lower buds)
    6 - 27w CFL (Clones and vegging)
    2 - big 47w CFL (moms)

If anyone has any advice for changing the general light layout, let me know for sure. I dont want to have to be constantly learning the hard way.

Ventelation will consist of a passive air intake from the very bottom of the flowering chamber, drawing air from below the freezer. Then in the divider between flowering and vegging i would think it would be benificial to have multiple small holes at both the top and bottom with a yet to be planned light blocking box on each side. then probably drawing the air out of the, controversial bottom corner of veg chamber, as I think the bit of extra heat in vegging will be very benificial to clones/newborns. i am unsure of what size fan to be getting. I had previously used 4 duct boosting fans in 4" ducting in another small scale grow, they seemed to work...what kinda CF/M should i be looking for with having this 15.6 qubic foot space?? oh and ovbiously i have an active carbon scrubber on the end of it all, home made, approx 3' long, 6" around with a 1" acrive carbon layer, will provide photos when i actually get going on this project.

i got a lot more questions that id like to be asking, but ill save them for later posts.

all advice is welcome :D

2. ok, threw together a couple really basic pics of the planned build.

the first is a basic overview of the size and dimensions of the freezer that i am using. in the bottom, back, right corner of the freezer is where the compressor sits and is really the only obstical i have to work around...i figure that i will leave that last foot completly open for placing pumps, timers, thermos and all other misc gear that will be required.

I also have come to the conclusion that i will not be putting the mothers in this freezer as it will cause the whole freezer to be very crouded, i will be making an extremely simple box with a couple 47w CFLs to support 2 bonsai mothers in soil...i may take a stab at grafting for the sake of verity.

second picture is pretty much showing the overall plan for ventilation, plant location, and light locations. I will be constructing an adjustable height light mount with a couple of computer fans for the vegging/clone chamber; similar to the one that subver so cleverly created...mine will have a lot more lights and more fans...im thinking of getting a couple more 27 watt CFLs, making a total of 8 of em and probably 3-5 computer fans to keep my clones nice and strong before flowering. Gonna take out the freeon condensor and compressor from the bottom corner and be revamping my existing carbon filter to cram in as much active carbon as possible in that little 1 cubic foot section in a nice neat bundle, hidden away. also going to build a box around my exhaust fan, inside the freezer, directly hooked up to carbon scrubber with a wooden box that has in internal liner of blue/pink styrofoam insulation for noise reduction i hope.

I will have room for a total of 24 flowering SOG bud plants, colas only of course due to space constriction. I dont have experience with this perputal harvest style growing, i need some advice for how many clones and how often to clone them??

Attached Files:

3. oh, and does anyone have any experience, or know if there will be any problems with switching my plants from my vegging chamber in bubble buckets, to an ebb and flow table for flowering? I would assume that there wouldent be any problem as it is all water cultured...

4. whoa, that picture of the CFLs and Fan setup on the PVC frame you posted is mine, haha. I was like.. holy crap, that looks like something I did.. whoa.. it looks like my room! OH! It is! haha.
    Sorry I don't have anything to add, I just found that funny :p

5. you dont have a patent do you subver? lololol

6. nope, hah

7. #9 Tazmanian216, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2011
  8. #10 Tazmanian216, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2011
    ok, so i got the veg light all put together, aside from the cost of the lights, it only cost me 15 bucks at most...took pics of the build as i was going, just gotta get em on the comp tomorrow...

also, i took a tour around a couple hydro stores today and found out how increadibly cheap this coco grow meduim is!! spent 12 bucks and i got enough to fill 3, 5 gallon pales with the stuff!!! just gotta get some perilite and cal mag.

tomorrow will be getting all my buckets(4 bubblebuckets, or maybe misters), and ebb&flow table/rez in order

oh yeah, forgot to mention, threw my Hurricane Jack seeds in for some germination on a warm matt this eve...which im told is a 70% indica...not too sure how much i believe this, but we will see...i got some funds set aside in case i gotta get something else, something better...hope i get a good lookin mamma

9. ok, heres some pics...maybe it will spark conversation...

Attached Files:

10. anyone ever been working on one of these, and realized you dont have as much space as your origionally thought?? haha...I gotta adapt and evolve a new plan....my flood tray takes up 2/3 of the freezer...I think im gonna have to do a shelving unit on the veg side in order to get enough clones...kinda dissapointing as i have already measured and planned all this...

11. ok, so i changed the plan a little bit with the light fixture that i had previously put pics up...it was going to be for the veg chamber, but that wont work out very well, changed it over to flowering light and installed 2 porcelyn fixtures for my HPS bulbs...didnt get a pic of it this morning but will be posting a little later...

heres an update of pictures

Attached Files:

12. Hey, that is one small freezer! You should only veg in that thing. Your plants will be very small in that setup. Just my opinion. Also, since it is a freezer build, you will have to water and access your plants from above. just keep that in mind

13. the idea is to keep them small...sea of green...and im only growing for my own medicine...hoping for 2 ounces every 6-9 weeks...depends on how my "hurricane jack" performs in flowering...cant seem to find any info on this strain...