Starting an Organic Plot with Minimal Effort

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by gr0wer, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Organic is tha way to go. You don't even need all those fancey nutrients. Listen to froggy, if you're growin outside, just make sure the soil is good all year round. All you gotta do is throw some composts made from yard debris (Grass shavings, leaves, even kitchen food scraps), maybe some horse or cow manure, and till (mix) that shit into the soil. Lay a tarp down in winter to keep weeds and stuff down and to rot the mulch into the soil on hot days. And if you're really concerced about what nutrients your plants get while in growth, flowering stage, etc, you can easily do that with certain composts. I can't name stuff off the top of my head but just figure out what components are in different composts (grass clippings for Nitrogen, wood chips have Potassium? I think). Weed is created from nature, therefor it needs little more than the nature around it, not chemicals. The first time I grew, I was actually semi-successfull (it would have been better if I didn't use random seeds) mainly because I added alll that stuff into the soil.

2. Hyde fan sander:

Main thing to worry about is don't get caught. That's priority numero uno. Yeah, your plants will grow fine in regular soil but you should add something like compost if you want them to grow big and strong. Start out by germinating your seeds, you can find germination kits at your local home and garden shop. Put the seeds in the germination pods, add a little water, put the lid on and when they sprout, put them in little cups with dirt (no fertilizer). Make sure they're in the dark until you actually see leaves or a stem popping up. Also make sure to put them in the same place that you will be planting them into their permanent homes cuz they won't grow properly if you move them around to different spots with different brightnesses/hours of light. I guess to answer your question about amount of water, you gotta tell us whether you're planting them in the ground or in buckets or pots. You can message me if you got anymore questions, I love to spread the knowledge of growing.

3. Ok everyone is talking about soil. In my experience with organic gardening you have to treat your soil right plenty of compost but also companion planting helps yeilds w/ veggies, anyone know of companions for weed

4. Artichoke. Ladybugs nest in artichoke.

5. Nice Thread!

6. i was thinkin of just clearin a part of the woods behind my house and throw like 50 seeds in there,will it grow
    if i water it wen it doesnt rain?

:smoking:keep blazin

7. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHICH SOIL AT LOWES WOULD WORK FOR SEEDLINGS AND MATURE PLANT?? I LOOKEDT ALL THE ORGANIC MIXS AND SOILS AND MOST OF THEM STILL HAD SOME SORT OF FERTS.. PLEASE HELP. AND WHAT DOES "VEG" MEAN ? WHAT DO U DO TO VEG UR PLANT.. IM SORRY IM SUCH A NEWB BUT JUST PUT THAT ASIDE AND GIVE ME SOME EASY INFO, WHAT DO I NEED TO ADD TO THE SOILS THAT I BUY ASWELL??:smoking:

8. #28 MushrumStamper, May 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2010
    Im pretty positive you can just use a regular potting soil and mix. Just add compost and anothjer plant to support growth like nestles, artachoke, types of clover. To start you can used mashed banana peels, grass, and leaves that have been composted.

Just start by putting top soil and compost in a plastic cup for germination and transplant to your soil.

Thats pretty much what i did to start and so far its working pretty decently.

Edit: I also found out for the spray rubarb

9. I would suggest some neem oil misting on your plant. It may discourage the vegetarian nipping at your plant. At least they didn't finish it iff.

JaK

10. whats a good strain for me if im growing in scotland, its cold, like below 8C most of the time until about march april then starts to warm up and in summer gets to about 24C, then bout september starts getting cold again. i just want to grow as a bit of fun so im not spending loads but recently i gota baggy seed put it in some soil and its sprouting but i doubt it will last. i need something tough, any suggestions?

11. try an autoflower.some,such as lowrider,can be harvested in 8 weeks.others grow longer and have larger yields,but should finish in time for the first frost.

i think the best harvest i ever had was in the ground outside,using peat moss,mushroom compost and lime.till real good and plant yer starts in that. water heavily and in the fall reap your rewards.
    i've always started my plants in small 4 inch pots filled with local top soil and pro mix,even parts.i've found the larger pots with this mix adds up to more females[maybe its just me tho].

12. You start your organic thread by suggesting using plastic or foam cups?

13. Exactly what I was thinking lol. Even paper would be better....

14. #34 ForbinsAscent, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2011
    EDIT 2- I just read through the thread. I now see why it's stickied. Nice...
    Orelle J

I've read a few of your posts around here. I just started organic gardening and am amazed at the re-thinking required to really do it. It's made me happier and I intend on doing it as long as possible.

This upcoming season... my first outdoor garden, all organic... my goal is to be self sufficient and I just recently ordered seeds for hot peppers, their companion herbs, and some chrysmum pyrethrum and wormwood (for kicks), to start in a green house. I want to build a garden bed for the alfalfa, mustard, and maybe some buckwheat to get things started. The ground has been contaminated with roundup (owner was trying to kill dandelions) but I'm hoping those cover crops will start to turn things around...

thanks for visiting the site and hope to see you around
    peace
    :smoke: (actually a bub. but they dont have an emoticon for it)

edit: now looking at herbs. and artichoke.

trippin vicious.. it sure is organic

15. Forbins - Man, I am so sorry to hear about the roundup! That shit is SO bad!

If I were you, I would definetly start at least topdressing, but would also start hitting the area hard with compost teas. Hopefully the microbes can help you out - and i bet they will, given time and a mess of applications.

Keep us posted as to your success in this area - I would personally be psyched to hear
    that the microbes helped you out.

AACt, ACCT, AACT.

jerry.

16. #36 WeeDroid, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2011
    I have more details in the link below.

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/962201-urban-soil-crafting.html

I thought this chart might be handy over here. Basically it's a flow chart of my composts systems used in my attempt to build my own organic soil in an urban setting.

The important thing to note is what composts feed what, so that one can get started efficiently. Efficiency is important since these processes do take time.

Hint:

Leaf compost takes a long time to break down if one is going for the real deal, leaf mold compost. Unless one can find forests or tree groves that have been undisturbed for a while and have a thick layer of duff down. Or unless one wants to cheat with bacteria, but I'm not certain how this would affect the fungal qualities we're trying to get with the leaf.

Leaf is free. Go forth my sister and brother stoners & growers and gather ye leaf close to thee, make your piles as you plan for next year.

Attached Files:

17. Im growing in a forest and have piles of leaves around how would I make that into compost do i mix it into the soil or do I break it down some way the leave it on top.
    Are the wet looking leave piles what your talking about? Ill take a pic and post it tomorrow

18. so which is best for compost? and how do i go about using it pics 1 and 3 are the same thing

Attached Files:

19. I was reading up on organic soil and came across something that said you have to naturally let the soil sit and "cook". Is this only applied when making own compost? If I buy all good ingredients bagged already and just mix do I still need to let it sit a month?..

20. #40 Hashmanone, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2012
    Im seeing information about organic outdoor anybody grow organic indoor?? this my first legit grow and i dont want to organic if i cant the fuk it next time

how do i grow organic indoor.. where do i buy the compose to put in soil? how do i how make it if i cant buy it../ im down the street from home depot and walmart